Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FF seems to believe they are ahead of everyone, without actually having anything on the market...or giving any evidence whatsoever...

More posturing...I assume.
Hopefully, they at least showed something of substance to attract the high-powered, high-paid executives/engineers they've been hiring away from other companies. Hate to think these people may have left secure careers for a scam.

Hopefully, they at least showed something of substance to attract the high-powered, high-paid executives/engineers they've been hiring away from other companies. Hate to think these people may have left secure careers for a scam.

Yeah, one would hope, but all of this secrecy appears completely unnecessary. The rationalist in me just sees scam, or perhaps a rudderless ship.

Based on this article and all the ones linked within it, it looks like we may be seeing something from them in the fairly near future.

http://jalopnik.com/looks-like-faraday-futures-sleek-minivan-is-a-real-work-1787022356?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+jalopnik/full+(Jalopnik)

EV news site Electrek seems to think Faraday Future is fixing to have “dozens” of drive-able prototypes in testing by the end of the year along with a possible public unveiling of the final design concept. Autoblog’s also going with “this is it,” and drew the same Toyota Venza comparison that occurred to me.

Yeah, one would hope, but all of this secrecy appears completely unnecessary. The rationalist in me just sees scam, or perhaps a rudderless ship.
This one is an enigma. On the one hand, it has all the makings of a scam like NanoFlowcell and their solar and saltwater powered cars. Or, more charitably, the fanciful dream of its founder, as with Elio, DeLorean and Bricklin. However, they are supposedly spending (and will continue to spend) billions of dollars on this venture... and it's bankrolled by a billionaire (and possibly with billions of domestic and foreign government subsidies and investments), so is there really something behind the Wizard's curtain?

This one is an enigma. On the one hand, it has all the makings of a scam like NanoFlowcell and their solar and saltwater powered cars. Or, more charitably, the fanciful dream of its founder, as with Elio, DeLorean and Bricklin. However, they are supposedly spending (and will continue to spend) billions of dollars on this venture... and it's bankrolled by a billionaire (and possibly with billions of domestic and foreign government subsidies and investments), so is there really something behind the Wizard's curtain?

This is literally the only reason I haven't completely written it off. The investments are confusing too, though, since he's invested in at least 2 other companies that appear to be doing the exact same thing...just not in the US.

I don't really know what to make of it, and the fact that the companies are backed by a Chinese billionaire (and probably to an extent the Govt.) makes things even more "interesting."

I figure we'll find out pretty soon where the company is headed, my WAG is that FF will be unsuccessful in the US market, or incorporated into the other companies he owns.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Or at least from that first disastrous CES (I think it was?) presentation with the spacemobile that was clearly not a thing that would ever exist for purchase.

That was more of a confirmation, for me. The unnecessary secrecy and the wildly absurd forward looking statements led me to write them off. Then that ridiculous reveal (along with that cringe worthy interview with Sampson) just sealed it.

In fact, lets all look back at how wrong things went during that interview:

Elon Musk has made starting a car company look reasonably easy, but it is very tough to do in an established automotive market. The more expensive the product combined with the needed production volumes, the tougher it is to get established and the car industry is both very high volume and expensive.

Most of the car companies in Europe and the US were established before WW II. Most of the Japanese companies were too. The companies that became established after the war started out selling in the developing world selling very cheap cars (Hyundai took this route). Tesla is the only European/American company to survive past it's infancy in the last 70 years.

Tesla came up with a superior product and has been very good at supporting all facets like building service centers, the ranger network, as well as the superchargers. At the same time they have gone about systematically building their future. The critics have been very critical of their cash burn, but one of the reasons automotive start ups fail so often is because the cash burn to get established is staggering. Tesla has only managed because they got some lucky breaks like being able to buy the NUMMI factory for a song, and incredibly good resource management and a lot of investor interest that has kept the stock price high.

The electric car business has a number of faux start ups, mostly in China. There have been a number of splashy announcements that vanished after the demo. In the US, it's harder to tell the scams from the serious people who just don't have a clue what they are doing. FF may have been serious about competing with Tesla, but they were a disorganized mess from the start and they have completely fallen apart. I believe FF had a deal to build a factory, Tesla will be looking for new factory space soon, maybe they could climb into FF's shoes if the deal is sweet enough?

I believe FF had a deal to build a factory, Tesla will be looking for new factory space soon, maybe they could climb into FF's shoes if the deal is sweet enough?

Tesla doesn't need a second factory in Nevada.

Tesla should leverage a new factory into getting Tesla stores legalized in Texas and turn two hostile Senators into friendly Senators.

Currently, the EV tax credit is hanging on the vote of moderate Northeast Republican Susan Collins and conservative Nevada Senator Dean Heller.

There would be zero chance Heller would be fighting for the EV tax credit without the GF in his State. He wants to be seen as "fighting for jobs in his State." The same would happen in Texas.

Last time, Texas was offering more incentives than Nevada. Nevada won becuase of the proximity of the Sparks location to Fremont.

Is this turkey done yet?

ff91_detail_lidar_40531383-c074-46c5-9ca3-99140f45ecc1.jpg