Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farewell Model X and Hello Lincoln Navigator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Dalia, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Every person / family has different requirements and while we'd like to believe that the Model X is the perfect SUV, realistically no car is perfect (or even the best) for everyone. Hope the Navigator works out well for your family.

For those members who had less-than-kind things to say in response, be aware that trolling is against forum rules.

Bruce.

Plenty of buttons and knobs to play with. :D

upload_2018-6-11_9-58-54.png

I have a Yukon XL that I daily drive and it is perfect for all the long trips and weekend jaunts with the 3 kids. That being said, we are adding an X because it's tough to drive such a large vehicle every day, which I have done for 3 years. The kids are older now and can get in and out of their seats pretty well on their own but are still in boosters/car seats so the X will be nice since the youngest are not big enough to open the doors themselves. I considered trading the Yukon in but with the rear entertainment built in and the oddles of space for cargo, the X is not anything close to a replacement for all we do on the weekends and vacations, so we will have 2 SUVs in the family.

The Navigator is very very nice. If I was in the market for a large SUV today that would probably be my first choice.

@Dalia, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Every person / family has different requirements and while we'd like to believe that the Model X is the perfect SUV, realistically no car is perfect (or even the best) for everyone. Hope the Navigator works out well for your family.

For those members who had less-than-kind things to say in response, be aware that trolling is against forum rules.

Bruce.
Thank you! I loved having the X. I will definitely miss the drive, but like you said, every family has its different needs. I still love the S and will continue to drive my husband’s.

Funny things so far
1 - Needing to poke a hornet's nest aka tell an ENTHUSIAST forum their car of choice isn't good enough and they are gone.
2 - We've had billions of ICE cars since 1908 and people here acting like literally ONE MORE Lincoln Navigator is going to melt the ice caps and turn the United States into Atlantis.
3 - I would save on Disneyland annual passes if my kids got sick so easily from high speed acceleration. Every stop in the X is a new adventure woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
4 - Husband hasn't chimed in. I mean, how does a man give up is toys so easily?
I would be more concerned about this with any Ford SUV
Police pull Fords from service over carbon monoxide fears

Kids we’re getting car sick in the car all the time.

Yea, that Model X acceleration does take a bit of getting used to. No need to worry about that problem in the Lincoln Navigator though. Best keep the windows rolled up on the way to soccer practice though, no telling what may be coming out of the exhaust of that nice ride ;)

RT

Yea, that Model X acceleration does take a bit of getting used to. No need to worry about that problem in the Lincoln Navigator though. Best keep the windows rolled up on the way to soccer practice though, no telling what may be coming out of the exhaust of that nice ride ;)

RT
I still don't understand why everyone talks about acceleration. yes, if you push hard on the pedal, it's insanely quicker and puts more torque down, which can be jarring to passengers. But in the drives I've done so far (not many mind you), I have never had a problem driving it normally with moderate acceleration. The car felt like a normal everyday car when not using a lead foot.

Is that really the reason why people get sick, or is there more to it? The same could be said about regenerative braking, where you need to make sure you don't just take your foot off the gas otherwise the rest of your passengers will definitely lurch.

Reactions: XHokie

Bruce.

This is what frustrates me at times with this place... The OP posts something that's begging to get negative comments and yet TMC choses to ignore the provocation and focus on the response?

To go from a Model X to a Lincoln Navigator is just something I can't wrap my head around...??? Climate change is real and while a single SUV isn't going to move the needle, it's this kind of thinking that does... I sincerely hope each an every person who makes this ridiculously foolish and short sighted decision be faced with $10+ per gallon gas. Make it hurt...

I have my issues with Tesla but I couldn't imagine driving an ICE again much less owning one... Between the electric drive train and AP, I just don't get it...

Jeff

This is what frustrates me at times with this place... The OP posts something that's begging to get negative comments and yet TMC choses to ignore the provocation and focus on the response?

To go from a Model X to a Lincoln Navigator is just something I can't wrap my head around...??? Climate change is real and while a single SUV isn't going to move the needle, it's this kind of thinking that does... I sincerely hope each an every person who makes this ridiculously foolish and short sighted decision be faced with $10+ per gallon gas. Make it hurt...

I have my issues with Tesla but I couldn't imagine driving an ICE again much less owning one... Between the electric drive train and AP, I just don't get it...

Jeff
To be fair, and it was mentioned above, some of us don't buy a tesla because it's green. I care but that's not why I'm buying a tesla. I'm buying one because it's a high performance car that can seat my entire family and some guests and has all the tech I could ever want in a car. The fact that it's zero emissions and doesn't consume gas is a nice side effect that didn't impact my decision at all.

A lot of electricity comes from burning coal and other things that are nasty for the environment too. Unless you're paying extra to get only renewable energy from your energy provider, it's not like your carbon footprint is 0.

As someone who just placed an order and is eagerly awaiting my model X, I can still appreciate the post to understand why it wasn't working out for the OP. I want to make sure the X is a car I can keep for a decade (really hope it can be) and I have young kids so I'm also interested in why they were getting sick.

To be fair, and it was mentioned above, some of us don't buy a tesla because it's green. I care but that's not why I'm buying a tesla. I'm buying one because it's a high performance car that can seat my entire family and some guests and has all the tech I could ever want in a car. The fact that it's zero emissions and doesn't consume gas is a nice side effect that didn't impact my decision at all.

A lot of electricity comes from burning coal and other things that are nasty for the environment too. Unless you're paying extra to get only renewable energy from your energy provider, it's not like your carbon footprint is 0.

As someone who just placed an order and is eagerly awaiting my model X, I can still appreciate the post to understand why it wasn't working out for the OP. I want to make sure the X is a car I can keep for a decade (really hope it can be) and I have young kids so I'm also interested in why they were getting sick.

No, I'm not at a 0 carbon footprint but my solar system generates more energy that I use so it's a start.

Even if you don't care about climate change, which is exceptionally frustrating as you have young children that are going to inherit what's left of this planet, once you experience AP and an electric drive train I just don't see how you could possibly go back.

Jeff

No, I'm not at a 0 carbon footprint but my solar system generates more energy that I use so it's a start.

Even if you don't care about climate change, which is exceptionally frustrating as you have young children that are going to inherit what's left of this planet, once you experience AP and an electric drive train I just don't see how you could possibly go back.

Jeff
1) You're conflating issues. I didn't say I don't care about our environment. I said it's not the reason why I bought a tesla.
2) I LOVE electric drive train and hitting full torque immediately. The responsiveness is amazing and it's an absolute joy to drive. I agree that I may have a hard time going back afterwards.

I'm a huge fan of zero emissions from the perspective of being able to leave the car on in the garage when my kids fall asleep in the car. Normally I have to transfer them in texas summers and that means they wake up instantly. Being able to leave the AC running for 15 - 30 minutes would be a nice benefit. Preheating/cooling the car is also nice and I don't have to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning in my garage.

1) You're conflating issues. I didn't say I don't care about our environment. I said it's not the reason why I bought a tesla.
2) I LOVE electric drive train and hitting full torque immediately. The responsiveness is amazing and it's an absolute joy to drive. I agree that I may have a hard time going back afterwards.

I'm a huge fan of zero emissions from the perspective of being able to leave the car on in the garage when my kids fall asleep in the car. Normally I have to transfer them in texas summers and that means they wake up instantly. Being able to leave the AC running for 15 - 30 minutes would be a nice benefit. Preheating/cooling the car is also nice and I don't have to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning in my garage.

Fair enough, appreciate your response as I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse... :)

Jeff

Reactions: rabar10

Jeff

I don't want to start a holy war but, while scientist agree on the change they however, do not agree on it's long term effects. The 99% thing has been debunked over and over again. Please don't go nuts and post a bunch of links, I am just saying the PhD's in climatology are not on the same sheet of music.

Fair enough, appreciate your response as I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse... :)

Jeff
Absolutely. I love communities and I do appreciate it when people aren't dogmatic about a particular vehicle (can be hard when everyone on a forum is an enthusiast) but this is a great place to come and learn about a lot of technology and experience with those who have had their vehicles for a while. I believe the OP had the car for 2 years, so it's interesting to see why after 2 years it's worth getting rid of a car that seems so amazing.

That being said, I'm still anxiously awaiting the production of my X and can't wait to start driving around in it. The wait sucks :(

The reality is that a Tesla is not the every car for every person and we have to accept it.
Many considerations like

-Price
-Convenience
-Room

It's perfectly fine to get a Lincoln Navigator because it can clearly do things an X can not. Getting an iPace however would be just lame though because it seats 5 like the Model S.

OP will be back when Tesla comes out with the extended cab Model X right???? Give the Model X one more foot and a 125D/150D batterypack.

I don't want to start a holy war but, while scientist agree on the change they however, do not agree on it's long term effects. The 99% thing has been debunked over and over again. Please don't go nuts and post a bunch of links, I am just saying the PhD's in climatology are not on the same sheet of music.

So wait, you're going to make a claim that's factually inaccurate but then request I not reply with facts? LOL... Come on...

Jeff

Renting a Navigator L in Minneapolis right now. I like the interior, but the auto start stop is atrocious. Turns off for very short time,then turns back on. And system is disabled in park. Go figure.

I like the car otherwise. Just wish there was a way to permanently disable start stop

So wait, you're going to make a claim that's factually inaccurate but then request I not reply with facts? LOL... Come on...

Jeff

Jeff,

I knew you were going to take that the wrong way. Nothing I said is factually incorrect. Unless you are a PhD in the specific field and can point me to your countless hours of research it doesn't matter. I am relying on the amalgamation of PhD's in the specific field to give me peer reviewed material. As a PhD myself (not in the field btw) I don't have time for articles and assumptions. I would point you to Dr. Roy Spencer first as he has done a pretty significant research portfolio. Again I am not going to debate you and ruin this thread. We can go to PM's if you would like.