Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farewell Model X and Hello Lincoln Navigator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they have a 7 seater Model X, then I could see how kids wouldn't really be able to see anything back there. The middle row seats might be too high for them to see over.
Yes, we have a seven seater, and the kids are small, so they can't see much. When my husband uses AP on the long but hilly roads, it does a wobble that makes them queasy, but it makes me queasy as well!

• Informative
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
I'm willing to bet you could create a pair of goggles with a high speed 3-axis accelerometer hooked into the car's cameras that would mitigate motion sickness. It occurs when your visual input does not agree with motion you feel. Unless you're in a banked corner, the suspension is not going to allow the two inputs to match. So you correct the g-force error by rotating the image the wrong way. ie - you make flat curves into off-camber corners. Too gentle of banking? Make the image flat. But the object is to make the forces on your body match what you SHOULD be seeing with that force.

Or take a couple Xanax and nod off. If you are the driver, tie one hand to the wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: copyhacker
Lincoln's site says the car does not control steering. I am assuming this is the "nudge" system where it nudges you back into the lane, but gives up after a while and it definitely doesn't do curves. I could be wrong as I am not a Lincoln expert.
View attachment 308984

That was a bad pun:). I don't think its fair to describe people who like to eat at restaurants on a road trip as people who are lounging. There are conveniences to stopping. Especially with younger kids (infants/toddlers). Change of scenery, bathrooms, and a table to sit at can do wonders on a long road trip. Also, I don't love eating while driving. Even on autopilot.

I can envision roadtripping with 5 people in an MS as being tough due to space. Do you think you could do the 5 hour trip in winter with one stop in a 100D? I know the 90 pack has problems with degradation and is really a 78-80 kWh pack.

I think you are right re: navigator steering nudge. It definitely does not take over for you like autopilot does and was actually one of the reasons I ruled it out. It seemed utterly useless to me.

I wasn't implying there is something wrong with people that like eating on roadtrips. I'm just saying for this _particular_ trip that my family does 3-4 times per year to see other family through the rural midwest, there is not a lot of fulfillment to be had at these particular stops. You'll just have to take my word that it's better to get to your destination faster in this case.

Yes, the S is a little tight with 5 and luggage which is another reason we dont use it. It's already just 1 supercharging stop, my point is we don't even want to make that one stop for 50-60 minutes vs 1 stop for 15 minutes. I don't know, it's just how it works best for our family.

My real problem now, is that the S is a lease, and I had always assumed I was going to replace it with a 3. Tonight I sat in a 3 for the first time...and...those front seats...ugh. Am I imagining it or are they smaller, firmer and all around less comfortable than the next gen model S seats....back to the drawing board for me I guess.

I want to thank the OP for this information. Before I purchased my X I spent a couple months reading posting after posting on this site to learn as much as I could about the car- good and bad. Some of the info was fact based and a LOT was opinion. All helped me make a decision. Some info was just more pertinent to my interests than other stuff. Maybe good idea to consider this post in the same vein...

Reactions: Mrcook4590
So a take way is should Tesla make a SUV as large as a Navigator?

2170 Cells should enable greater than 100KW to support more range and to compensate for greater weight.
i would like a much bigger model x, but as big as a navigator though? the navigator runs into a problem where aerodynamics effect it big time.

want i want most is for Tesla to either offer a luxury car or a luxury interior option to their existing cars. I'm talking nicer stitching, leather colors heavily padded dash and armrests, ergonomic, good cooled seats, massage, heat and cooled cup holders, wireless phone chargers etc... (all of these found in a 530i PHEV I drove the other day...)

finally i think that the next logical step is to make 100kw battery packs the smallest pack option and offer 120+ as the upgrade. (this will also help differentiate the Model 3's)

I want to thank the OP for this information. Before I purchased my X I spent a couple months reading posting after posting on this site to learn as much as I could about the car- good and bad. Some of the info was fact based and a LOT was opinion. All helped me make a decision. Some info was just more pertinent to my interests than other stuff. Maybe good idea to consider this post in the same vein...

Yep, there is bias on both sides. On some level we all try to justify our purchases. I am sure OP is, on some level, trying to justify the move from MX to Navigator.

I haven't had to do this with my X, since my garage is quite tall; but have any of you just tried lowering the air suspension to Very Low after pulling in? Should give quite a bit more clearance.... also geotagging to fully open at a location that is tight but capable of fully opening gives much more clearance; and it will still actively avoid obstacles it detects.

I haven't had to do this with my X, since my garage is quite tall; but have any of you just tried lowering the air suspension to Very Low after pulling in? Should give quite a bit more clearance.... also geotagging to fully open at a location that is tight but capable of fully opening gives much more clearance; and it will still actively avoid obstacles it detects.
Is that 100% how it works? So if you override the doors to tell them to open at max height, they still won't hit anything? I'm afraid that overriding will make my doors bang into whatever is above it.

@Dalia Enjoy your new Navigator in good health! I sat in one at our dealership's showroom and was quite impressed. Lincoln certainly needs a hit, and I'm all for American luxury vehicles.

For my needs, the Model X is just about perfect. I don't feel guilty about running the air conditioner while I'm parked. I still love to show the car to inquisitive strangers. I certainly don't miss pumping gas.

You mentioned travel sports for kids. Tesla is the king of travel sports. Two boys that are at it 6 days a week travel lacrosse and soccer. Now closing in on 50k in year one of ownership on S. 14 states now. Might be 19 by 1 year anniversary. Even got me a Dreamcase for the back to save on $ hotel rooms.

Weather. I have charged at -12 at a supercharger and at 106. Don't miss the pump in the winter at all. Plug and sit vs. pump and stand.

I came from the world you are heading back into. Only thing that gets me is watching soccer parents idle their monster SUV's for an entire practice. People have money to burn. Why does it have to be gas as well?

Sorry to lose one, but you still got one. Maybe next go around.

You mentioned travel sports for kids. Tesla is the king of travel sports. Two boys that are at it 6 days a week travel lacrosse and soccer. Now closing in on 50k in year one of ownership on S. 14 states now. Might be 19 by 1 year anniversary. Even got me a Dreamcase for the back to save on $ hotel rooms.

Weather. I have charged at -12 at a supercharger and at 106. Don't miss the pump in the winter at all. Plug and sit vs. pump and stand.

I came from the world you are heading back into. Only thing that gets me is watching soccer parents idle their monster SUV's for an entire practice. People have money to burn. Why does it have to be gas as well?

Sorry to lose one, but you still got one. Maybe next go around.

Awesome anecdote. Thanks! I don't have to travel much right now, but I'm glad to see that it's definitely possible. One HUGE thing about a tesla is that you can run the AC while the engine is "on" and idle. you cannot do that safely with gas as it is not good for your oil, nor the CO that is dumped out. I can't wait to just "wait in the car" with the AC/heater on for 30 minutes while my wife and kids have to do something :)

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Awesome anecdote. Thanks! I don't have to travel much right now, but I'm glad to see that it's definitely possible. One HUGE thing about a tesla is that you can run the AC while the engine is "on" and idle. you cannot do that safely with gas as it is not good for your oil, nor the CO that is dumped out. I can't wait to just "wait in the car" with the AC/heater on for 30 minutes while my wife and kids have to do something :)
It is also nice to pre-cool/pre-heat when you are on your way back to the car. My car read 105 the other day, but was cooled to perfection by the time we got back to it.

As someone who has owned several Fords (my last 3 cars) and my wife currently drives a Lincoln, the long-term quality on those, in my opinion, is terrible. My Tesla at 40,000 miles looks practically the same as it did when I picked it up new. All 3 of my Ford's, and my wife's Lincoln (now) at 40,000 miles look like they've been ridden hard and put away wet. Seats wearing terribly, engine not running right, they just had to rebuild my wife's transmission (luckily under the powertrain warranty).

On 2 of my 3 (4) Ford's, I actually had rust forming. Yes, my 2010 Taurus SHO and my 2012 Fusion Energi each had rust bubbles form after 2 years. The SHO had a rust bubble the size of a quarter on the hood. Now these were always garage kept and washed nearly weekly. How does this happen?!?!

I loved the Ford's I owned, as well as Ford as a company, but the long-term quality on them sucks. We all cap on Tesla, but it's a night and day difference.

Best of luck on your new Navigator!

• Informative
Reactions: Pwdr Extreme
I dont blame you for going with a Navigator. I like my X, but it does have flaws. the A/c heating doesn't work that great all the time and the road noise is crazy, especially on the highway. Just this past weekend my wife and I took a 2 hour drive, she could hardly hear on her phone because every damn car that drove by made noise in the cabin. I want to get rid of my X simply because of the noise. I would be concerned about kids in the car.. I can see them getting sick from noise, jerkiness, and the temperature issues.

Reactions: Peteybabes
I dont blame you for going with a Navigator. I like my X, but it does have flaws. the A/c heating doesn't work that great all the time and the road noise is crazy, especially on the highway. Just this past weekend my wife and I took a 2 hour drive, she could hardly hear on her phone because every damn car that drove by made noise in the cabin. I want to get rid of my X simply because of the noise. I would be concerned about kids in the car.. I can see them getting sick from noise, jerkiness, and the temperature issues.

Do you think the noise in the model X is due to a failure of a system, or a primary design defect? I guess I am asking if it can be fixed, or is just something you have to live with.

G.

Do you think the noise in the model X is due to a failure of a system, or a primary design defect? I guess I am asking if it can be fixed, or is just something you have to live with.

G.
IMHO there is a "Failure" if you will.

there is simply not enough sound proofing, and Tesla is the only car above $30k that doesn't have double pane glass on the side windows to reduce noise.

i've said this before, if my car was 100lbs. heavier due to proper asphalt insulation and thicker windows i'd be happy as a camper.

IMHO there is a "Failure" if you will.

there is simply not enough sound proofing, and Tesla is the only car above $30k that doesn't have double pane glass on the side windows to reduce noise.

i've said this before, if my car was 100lbs. heavier due to proper asphalt insulation and thicker windows i'd be happy as a camper.
This is interesting to me. From what I've read on here and in general about the Model X, it is supposed to be very road quiet. This is the first time I've seen someone on here talk about how noisy it is... I see you have an older 90d. Is it possible that newer builds have addressed this?