Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farewell my "Classic" Friends

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I did it. My pre parking sensor, pre folding mirrors, pre everything "Classic" Red P85 is gone. Actually pretty bittersweet.

But I'm excited with my new blue P100D. I guess, in honor of the USA, my next one will need to be white.

Now I no longer get to ignore all of the "AP" postings and all of the new chatter. Unlike the last year or so, I am now sitting here anxiously awaiting the next software update.

All of the early purchasers will appreciate the fact that they laughed at the service center when I was able to recite my old VIN within seconds of being asked. They have no idea what a "badge" of ownership that number was in the early days. They also laughed when I immediately memorized the VIN on my new Tesla.

I did it for the Classic folks.

Happy New Year to all.

@Lawsteve - I totally get your post! I traded my Sig S85 for a S90D, took delivery four days ago, then promptly hopped in it a drove 1500 miles to Phoenix in two days. I loved (guess I'll always love) my sig that I've driven for four years, but the 90D is so much more refined and, well better!

I even thought "whats old is new again" because the new 90D has the following "classic" features:

1-no ugly dash defrost vents. (First cars had just a seamless mesh, then owners complained and Tesla installed some louvers, finally a software update came which totally fixed windshield fogging in my car. Now I see new production like mine is back to nice clean dash.

2-with AP2 software not yet released, I drove 1500 miles over the past two days with only "classic" cruise control as automation. The car is so fun to drive I hardly missed it. Well, except for the 2 hours on I10 Los Angeles friday afternoon traffic crawling along. I will appreciate AP2 on my return drive in a few weeks when full AP2 is released.

Congrats. I only drove a classic S once when someone let me drive his early car (S/N 900) not long after joining this forum. Even a classic S is an awesome car, though I do love the features on my 2016. I'm sure you're going to be very happy with your new long range super car.

On the 30th I said farewell to the ICE world finally selling my 1992 Buick. It is the end of an era, I had that car 24 1/2 years.

Congrats! I just saw a blue SP100D today when picking up my wife's new Model S and it looked awesome. The new owner actually brought his own 19" old style wheels (same as on my 2015 car) - the old wheels show off the red calipers beautifully and those go with the blue car amazingly. Enjoy!

Another one bites the dust, that is, in late March 2017. Ordered 60D. With the exception of navigation, we are quite happy with our "classic" 60. Was going to keep it longer but kind of felt forced by limited supercharger. Not that we need it a lot but it is the idea of some limit that I don't like.

All of the early purchasers will appreciate the fact that they laughed at the service center when I was able to recite my old VIN within seconds of being asked.

I tell the Tesla folks on the phone my four digit vin. They are always confused, and then I remember oh it is P0XXXX.

I'd actually never remember my VIN and even struggle to tell you my phone #, but my VIN is really really especially easy.

Congrats @Lawsteve! I am still dreaming of replacing my pre-parking sensors, pre-AP, pre-retracting-side-mirrors 2013 S85.... wanna get something like the lighter blue P100D with black alcantra and black leather. But next in line is an already-ordered Model 3 for the wife, which hopefully will ship near end of 2017 (we ordered on 3/31 during the M3 unveiling) so I'm prolly gonna be driving my S85 jalopy for another year or two...

Well I did it. My pre parking sensor, pre folding mirrors, pre everything "Classic" Red P85 is gone. Actually pretty bittersweet.

But I'm excited with my new blue P100D. I guess, in honor of the USA, my next one will need to be white.

Now I no longer get to ignore all of the "AP" postings and all of the new chatter. Unlike the last year or so, I am now sitting here anxiously awaiting the next software update.

All of the early purchasers will appreciate the fact that they laughed at the service center when I was able to recite my old VIN within seconds of being asked. They have no idea what a "badge" of ownership that number was in the early days. They also laughed when I immediately memorized the VIN on my new Tesla.

I did it for the Classic folks.

Happy New Year to all.
I told you this was gonna happen!

Congrats! I can't wait to see it! And I can't wait for you to get to experience AP on your next trip to Tallahassee. It's a game changer.

P.s. I was actually oddly depressed for the first few weeks after getting my new S with it's ridiculously high VIN. After my first road trip to Charlotte, I started to feel a lot better...

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
When we did our research on the 'S' we figured 5 years to pay for itself (this based on our needs of use). It's closer to 4 1/2.
Previously our BMW's - we would see a small loss, mostly because after 3 years they were pretty worn.

Thank you Tesla (still turns the occasional eye - even here in CaliTesla land).

IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG
Picture please!

Sorry for the delay, but wanted to wait until my detailer fixed the paint and got the right sheen on the car. Looking pretty good in my opinion, but I am based.