Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Farmington, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta love dyslexia... You'll enjoy this story then:

I had a business trip a few years back to Milan (airport code MPS), with a connection through Minneapolis (airport code MSP). When I got to Milan, my checked bag never came off the flight. Turns out that while the agent gave me my boarding passes to get me to Milan, she typo'd the destination for the bag as MSP, not MPS... But the bag was found and delivered to my hotel about 26 hours later...

Classic! Living in MSP, I can say I'd much rather be in MPS! I remember once reading about a kid flying to Oakland who wound up in Auckland. (Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...)

Farmington NM is 300 miles from Glenwood Springs CO Supercharger, ouch!! Will this be the first instance of an SC that is umbillically disconnected from the rest of the network? Only makes sense if SC @Grand Jctn CO is built concurrently. [Joy!!]
--

For all of you who planned ahead and got dual chargers, there is a 70 Amp J1772 now in Pagosa Springs, CO, and one coming by the end of the month in Salida, CO. See Farmington, NM to Silverthorne, CO - Google Maps and 4 Corners EV Charging. Stop for an hour or so for a soak in the hot springs in Pagosa, and shmooze around downtown Salida for an hour or so, and you will make it from Farmington to Silverthorne. For those without dual chargers, you can enjoy Pagosa and Salida for a little longer. :biggrin:

OTOH, I am sure that Farmington will be connected well to the rest of the other Supercharger network. I have a very strong suspicion that Farmington, NM will be a part of the Elon Road trip.

The Farmington location has been confirmed as part of Elon's cross country route. A press release should post soon with more details including the exact address about 2 blocks east of Animas Valley Mall. I'm also hoping for one more supercharger somewhere in southwest Colorado as Grand Junction is a stretch in a 60...

I put in a call to the Animas Valley Mall, and Jennifer there told me that there are no plans to put a Telsa charging station at the mall. I explained to her how well it is working at the Silverthorne Outlet Malls, how this could be a good partnership, and she seemed interested. I also called the Farmington Development Office (they do building permits) and have not received a call back yet. They report building permits online monthly as a scanned PDF. Nothing in October, and we will see when November appears on their site...

In looking at Animas Valley Mall, East Main Street, Farmington, NM - Google Maps, there are a few other venues 2 blocks east of the mall, most notably near a Chili's and an Outback Steakhouse. When I get some more clues, I will take a drive down to Farmington to take a look; its an easy round trip on one MS85 charge from my house in Pagosa.

I drove over to Farmington today to take a look. Here are some pics:

First, the location. It looks like the Superchargers will go as far as possible from the hotel entrances; good for not getting ICE'd. Looks like things are going in a little west of the blue dot in this view. TownePlace Suites Farmington, Sierra Vista Drive, Farmington, NM, United States shows the location on Google Mapa.
Location.JPG

Here is a panorama of the area with the future Supercharger site on the left.
Panorama.JPG

Looks like they have the equipment staged and the construction fence in place.
Contractor.JPG

A better view of the equipment. It looks like there will be two Superchargers to support 4 bays (spaces).
Equipment.JPG

It looks like the Supercharger site will be located next to the dog walking area. :biggrin: That is the construction fence nest to this sign.
Dogs.JPG

Espanola, NM is starting to look really good for the next SC location. Would connect Denver to Albuquerque, using a short refresh at Salida, CO (longer for 60s).

A guy can dream . . .
--

Funny, great minds run in the same gutter. I was just toying with Espanola or Taos as the next 4-Corners EV Charging project. Espanola is a bit far from Salida for driving to and from Santa Fe and Albuquerque, and Taos, maybe even near the Taos Cow in Arroyo Seco, would be a lot more fun. :biggrin: Silverthorne, CO to Albuquerque, NM via Salida and Taos - Google Maps

In reality my money is on Gallup, NM as the next NM Supercharger location. It is a natural connection for the Elon, spring-break, road trip between Holbrook, AZ and Farmington, NM, and it is on the Tesla "rough dream" map for Supercharger locations.

BTW, after my winter drive from Pagosa to Boulder yesterday, my MS was almost as dirty as yours... :wink: See Realistic Range Expectations in Crummy Winter Weather - Page 2 for my story of hypermiling in the cold.

Denver Service advises their customer base currently @ 400 MSen. So simply from a Service Center centric pov the corridor: Denver-Albuquerque would seem to be the first logical foray beyond Local. I consider Silverthorne to be Denver-Local. And I'm assuming NM Teslas are included in the 400 number.

So rather than a new SC at Pueblo or Walsenburg why not at Alamosa, CO? This would get 85kwh Teslas into Albq where they could conveniently get an overnight charge. I-25 from Walsenburg to Albq is rather uneventful; the mountain route is roughly the same distance. It would get Albq 85kwh Teslas into Denver. An Alamosa,CO SC seems likely to generate much more Tesla traffic than Farmington, NM or any other location, it would seem to me. And of course suit my personal interests exactly. :wink:
--

If you're coming through Durango on your way down to Farmington for the big event, let me know and I'd be happy to do a little electric convoy down there with you! Still looking like they'll get it finished and operating before year-end?

I'll let you know when I head down the next time. It would be great to meet you, and show the construction crew and hotel staff some Model S's.

As you can see from my pics, the equipment is staged and they have the construction fence in place. Who knows when it will start, but it seems like once they do, it takes 6-8 weeks to finish. Hopefully, it will be done by the end of the year. Maybe, we need to see if the hotel will let us put one of these pointed at the site: Spypoint® Live Cellular 5MP Camera

- - - Updated - - -

Denver Service advises their customer base currently @ 400 MSen. So simply from a Service Center centric pov the corridor: Denver-Albuquerque would seem to be the first logical foray beyond Local. I consider Silverthorne to be Denver-Local. And I'm assuming NM Teslas are included in the 400 number.

So rather than a new SC at Pueblo or Walsenburg why not at Alamosa, CO? This would get 85kwh Teslas into Albq where they could conveniently get an overnight charge. I-25 from Walsenburg to Albq is rather uneventful; the mountain route is roughly the same distance. It would get Albq 85kwh Teslas into Denver. An Alamosa,CO SC seems likely to generate much more Tesla traffic than Farmington, NM or any other location, it would seem to me. And of course suit my personal interests exactly. :wink:
--

Your observations are a good logical analysis, but logic and support of the Elon road trip don't alway overlap. Supporting Elon's road trip is the only reason that I can see for the Farmington Supercharger this early. I am not complaining; its at my back door. For whatever reason, the Farmington site is starting now. My question is when does Gallup start. Holbrook is on its way. These are all filling in the Supercharger route for me to SoCal. Six months ago, I would have never expected this kind of roll out to happen.

I have some thoughts on the next addition to the 4 corners charging network. Hope this input is helpful

I agree the the Taos Cow is a great place to hangout. I love Arroyo Seco in general. I would however recommend a different spot for a Taos area 80amp charger.

The Mesa Brewing Company or Ojo Caliente. Mainly because Arroyo Seco is a bit off the main hwys (north/south and west) and dead ends into the Taos Sky Valley. Mesa Brewing Company is just past the Gorge bridge and is also a cool place to hangout. They make what I think is one the top two best beers of New Mexico and have a great atmosphere, not to mention are using a thermal solar system to heat there building. Also I have a feeling the Taos Cow being in such an old building may have trouble providing enough power. Where as Mesa Brewing is new and as a new high powered transformer.

Ojo Caliente just is obvious. Charge while you soak in the hot springs. :smile:

Both Mesa Brewing and Ojo Caliente would link Durango/Pagosa with Santa Fe, possibly Salida.

@ModelS4Taos - Great suggestions in Taos. Thanks! I my try to do a scouting trip done there in early 2014 and maybe take a few turns at the little ski hill there. If you are in town, maybe we can meet face-to-face.

Salida, CO - After a very long wait, the electrician called this morning and said that he will be doing the install next week. We will see, but there is hope it will be up and running soon.

@Cottonwood - Would be fun to meet up in Taos. PM me if you get wild hair to come down. Word of warning about the Ski Valley. Almost all steep vertical skiing. With a vertical drop of 3,244 feet is double the vertical drop of Wolf Creek. I'm sure your an experienced Skier, but you never know. The facilities might be little, but the mountain is big. :smile: We get less snow than Wolf Creek though, but its enough and vertical is a lot of fun or so I hear. I haven't had a chance to ride TSV, but I used to live near Aspen and ride the Aspen Highlands Bowl which is very vertical and I loved it. :smile: Hope to get up there this year.