TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fast Battery Swap Could Enable Temporary Upgrade from 60 to 85?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Alexander, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Alexander

Alexander P# 8,878

I don't know if this is true or not, but it was a thought that ran though my head...

How awesome would it be if we could fast swap a 60kWh battery with 85kWh battery, and use it temporarily for long road trips?!

Does anyone know if Tesla is planning to do this? Because for those long road trips I would most defiantly pay to temporarily swap out a 60kWh battery for an 85. The 60 is honestly perfect for me, except for those road trips that I take every few months. So if I got a 60 I would have to rent an ICE car every now and then, but I would rather give my money to Tesla and rent a bigger battery!

What do you guys and gals think?

2. Zextraterrestrial

I think this would be the best use of the swap stations

3. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

If/when they implement the Swap, doing that is one of the scenarios that was originally given. Then, you could swap back to your battery at the end of the trip or, if you wish, keep the higher capacity battery for a upcharge.

4. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

I'd definitely love to have the option of 'renting' an 85kwh battery. I probably wouldn't do it for a short supercharging trips, but there will be probably be trips that would max out my 60 even with superchargers.

5. miimura

miimura Active Member

I think this would work a whole lot better on cars that have the air suspension. The extra weight could cause suspension calibration problems or handling issues for cars without the air suspension.

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

This is what I always had thought too, and I thought Elon even mentioned it at one point. I think everyone would like this, but there is contradictory information posted yesterday in this thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/20808-60kw-upgrade-to-85kw-Was-told-by-multiple-Tesla-Sources-not-possible-at-this-time

7. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

darn. Looks like P85 it is.

8. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

That's too bad. If Tesla could figure it out, I would imagine they would get the 60 guys move up to the 85 with an upcharge of course.