TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fast Chargers near Norfolk VA?

Discussion in 'North America' started by DaveVa, Aug 29, 2013.

1. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

#1 DaveVa, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I am making the trip from the Northern Virginia area to the Outerbank in NC. Since the VA Superchargers has yet to appear, I was hoping to find something faster than a 30A J1772 to add necessary range to get to our destination. Does anyone local to the area know if any of the available chargers are 70A?

2. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Tidewater does not have any fast chargers that I am aware of. You could charge at Richmond Omni (60Amps I believe) then find an owner between Richmond and the Outer Banks on plug share with a HPWC. Alternatively, you could kill time at a KOA with 14-50 for a few hours or overnight in a cabin (I and others have stayed at a Cabin at Virginia Beach KOA).

3. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

Thanks DFib. Right now the Omni seems like the best plan. Am staying the week in Duck so will likely use 120v charging for the week to charge for the return trip.

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Yes, the lowly 120V, 5-15 outlet does give you 75 miles a day. If you are staying someplace for a while, it does add up!

5. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Tried to charge in the Scope Arena in downtown Norfolk last night, to my surprise the chargers was a combined CSS/CHADEMO and I don't have the adapter!
    I have been L1 charging "near" (4 cold windy blocks) my hotel and at my brother's apartment during the day. One of the residents in his building complained
    (because the spot is usually empty and they can back out into that stop to leave) so I can't L1 charge at his building anymore.

I had never seen a CSS/CHADEMO charger before.

I drove to Nissan of Norfolk to use their L2 charger today and THEY OFFERED ME A SHUTTLE RIDE TO HIS APARTMENT (5 miles away)!
    Planning to leave late tomorrow afternoon for the Salisbury, MD supercharger if the roads/Bay Bridge are cleared from the impending storm.

If it weren't sub 25F I'd probably have no drama making it to Salisbury with just L1 charging.

6. mbonnie

mbonnie Member

Tesla should be opening a SC soon in Va Beach - I believe near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Also I recently listed my home charger on Plugshare - especially for Tesla owners!

7. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Permit approved? Construction started?

8. iadbound

iadbound Member

I'm still leaning towards a site on the west side of Norfolk near Hampton where 64 splits. And yes, I'm just speculating.

9. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

PlugShare lists 14 L3 Chargers near Norfolk. A couple are coming soon, but all appear to be CHAdeMO. Get a CHAdeMO adapter for the most choices.

Norfolk-VA.jpg