Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

fast charging at grocery stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't know why gas stations don't host chargers, though I would imagine it's some gasoline exclusivity arrangement or something. Some stations like Kum & Go in Missouri have decent-for-fast-food restaurants inside, grassy areas, tables and chairs outside. It'd be perfect. Imagine pulling up, ordering one of their decent pizzas or burritos, getting it, eating, keep on rolling. Plus they're open 24 hours. Some superchargers are at gas stations that close (e.g. Springfield, MO) which definitely made my last trip more interesting. lol

I still don't know why gas stations don't host chargers, though I would imagine it's some gasoline exclusivity arrangement or something. Some stations like Kum & Go in Missouri have decent-for-fast-food restaurants inside, grassy areas, tables and chairs outside. It'd be perfect. Imagine pulling up, ordering one of their decent pizzas or burritos, getting it, eating, keep on rolling. Plus they're open 24 hours. Some superchargers are at gas stations that close (e.g. Springfield, MO) which definitely made my last trip more interesting. lol

We have some in Canada including one nationwide chain of gas stations and two large chains of convenience stores with gas stations. Unfortunately the gas station network is just along the Trans-Canada highway (I.E. one east-west "interstate") and none elsewhere for now.

I still don't know why gas stations don't host chargers,

We are at the leading edge of gas stations, convenience stores, quick-marts, and such hosting Tesla Superchargers and/or CCS chargers. Some provide an easy way to check which of their locations provide that service, many do not.

From my clicking around, Sheetz (sheetz.com) has many Telsa Supercharging locations throughout their mid-atlantic region

Other chains which I understand sponsor Superchargers on their site (perhaps now only in quantities of 2-3 sites, but likely to grow if they see success). Note that many of these chains are dominate in their region (good for that region), but without national reach

* Meijer
* Kum and Go
* Loves Travel Stop
* Buc-ees
* Caseys
* Pilot

The largest such annoucment that I know about is 7-eleven planning to host 250 DCFC locations (with at least 500 chargers) by the end of 2022. I assume many of those (maybe all) will be CSS with a Tesla competitor... 7-eleven announcement

The new Tesla Supercharger in Joplin is at a Kum & Go and I there are probably half a dozen Kum & Go locations in Colorado that host Tesla Superchargers. They have definitely teamed up with Tesla and see that EVs are the future. They are also installing some stations with CCS. More remote locations have both CCS and Superchargers.

The new Tesla Supercharger in Joplin is at a Kum & Go and I there are probably half a dozen Kum & Go locations in Colorado that host Tesla Superchargers. They have definitely teamed up with Tesla and see that EVs are the future. They are also installing some stations with CCS. More remote locations have both CCS and Superchargers.
Ah, good to know! I haven't been to the Joplin station yet, so I didn't know it was at a K&G.

We were visiting our SIL/Dau and grandkids in southern MD over the July 4th holiday and had to run to the local supermarket, so my SIL and I took our Tesla. As we were looking for a parking spot we spied some BIG electronic billboards advertising FREE EV charging. Sure enough at the first parking spot on each row were EV chargers. There were 3 spots and none in use or ICE'd. So we pulled in and used my J1772 adapter and plugged in. Speed ramped up to 31 mph. I was shocked. This was in Lusby MD at the local GIANT supermarket. The sign indicated 2 hours max of FREE charging for customers.

This is what I found later:

But I can see how this would piss off some ICE customers, PRIME front row parking, and FREE EV charging.

Amazing none the less.

There is a convenience store chain, Sheetz, on the East coast including eastern North Carolina that hosts a several supercharger locations, and I think is now starting to host EA stations, too.

They don't have anything on their website that I could find, but I did find this older writeup about them: Sheetz Powers Up Its Electric Vehicle Charging Initiative.

I remember seeing an interesting pro vs. con discussion of fast chargers at gas stations over on one of the Mustang Mach E forums: No hurry for fuel station owners to install electric...

(I actually had an order in for a MME, but changed my mind and got a Model Y instead. Very happy with how that turned out.)

But I can see how this would piss off some ICE customers, PRIME front row parking, and FREE EV charging.

People get pissed off at all kinds of things, so certainly this too will piss some off. But I hope the a greater number of the ICE owners who notice this will simply add it to the increasing evidence that maybe it's not so crazy to buy an EV after all.

The grocery store that I regularly shop at has free charging, but I don't use it: my usual shopping habit is to stop on the way home and pick up what we need that day: I'm only in there for 15 minutes, and the charger is just 6kW. I would expect this could be a great deal for somebody, but more often than not those chargers have nobody parked at them.