Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast Charging Venture from Porsche, BMW, Daimler and Ford a year later...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

avoigt

Sep 5, 2017
Germany
Porsche, BMW, Daimler and Ford announced a year ago the initiative to establish a Tesla - like Charging Network and wanted to install 400 Chargers in Europe. So far they have 50 people in Munich and intend to have first test Charger up end of the year. So far they did not make any technology decision which may be a big hurdle to overcome. Once that is decided they may roll out if they find the budget so we rather talk about 2nd half of 2018 if at all.

I've read a month ago that the work has been stopped after there has been increasing tension about an anti-trust case that has been opened in Brussels concerning a different topic between the automakers.

Porsche announced an independent fast Charging Network with 350 KWh and installed a test at their HQ. No further information about roll out.

Frankly I likely would not have ordered my Tesla without the Tesla Charging Net so it is indeed a strong competitive edge and differentiator at least in Europe (excluding NL with their own System).

I wonder if Automakers and independent organisations and communities are able to compete with Tesla around Charging at all ? Will Tesla open their system to other technology one day? Where will the development go to?

Thoughts, Information and Ideas welcome...