Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast charging with ChaDemo and CCS

mattack4000

Oct 1, 2017
CA
Just want to get some opinions here. With the crowding issue at the supercharger at times, will fast charging on ChaDemo or CCS ever catch on, especially on Tesla cars? I am guessing no due to the high cost? EVGO is charging nearly $10 an hour, Chargepoint is even higher.

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
...The CHADEMO adapter would be useful even just for preferred parking at some places near me.

Please don't do this just for parking, a charging spot is for charging your car, not to park closer. You never know if someone that comes by when your blocking the charger desperately needs to charge... it would be awful that a Tesla is there blocking and not charging.

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
Speed, too. As noted, there's no CCS adapter so far, and it is doubtful that one will appear soon since the standard owner still says no adapters are permissible. The CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 50kW - most stations are limited to that or less so far as well, and generally installed singly.

So really, you're asking if Tesla owners will bypass the blocks of reliable fast chargers that they can see the status of in real time to go to a charger that's equally likely to be blocked that they don't have status on and pay a bunch more for the privilege of charging at half the speed.

Somehow I doubt it.

(That's not to say things won't change. If Electrify America does install blocks of DCFC stations and has decent pricing and real time status available in car for them and a faster adapter occurs, I could certainly see it in some cases.)

Reactions: Mobius484

mattack4000

Oct 1, 2017
CA
Good info guys. I am just checking as I see some Chademo chargers in between the superchargers. It's always nice to have backup plans. I bought the adapter so just want to know more about it. I figure it will still be worth something if I get rid of the Tesla and sell it. Not a bad mod and backup plan.

Reactions: jbcarioca

Krash

Data Technician
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
Please don't do this just for parking, a charging spot is for charging your car, not to park closer. You never know if someone that comes by when your blocking the charger desperately needs to charge... it would be awful that a Tesla is there blocking and not charging.
I don't own a wall charger so my 75D always could use the charge. Also, my town has a lot of charging capacity and a conveniently located supercharger that is never full. I don't feel like I should leave the best parking empty just because its not an emergency. It isn't like I am parking there and not charging.

I find it interesting that most locations give best parking to electric vehicle charging but on a rare occasion a business will allocate the worst possible spot.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
Just want to get some opinions here. With the crowding issue at the supercharger at times, will fast charging on ChaDemo or CCS ever catch on, especially on Tesla cars? I am guessing no due to the high cost? EVGO is charging nearly $10 an hour, Chargepoint is even higher.
I applaud EVgo changing their rates and policies -- I might actually use their equipment now. However, to say that they charge less than $10/hr is a bit misleading. Yes, if you pay $10/month, you get one included hour of charging, so $10/ hour -- once. Also, they are having a promotion in California ONLY for $.15 per minute, which is indeed below $10 per hour. After June 30, almost all EVgo hourly sessions will be more than $10/hr.

J

jbcarioca

Good info guys. I am just checking as I see some Chademo chargers in between the superchargers. It's always nice to have backup plans. I bought the adapter so just want to know more about it. I figure it will still be worth something if I get rid of the Tesla and sell it. Not a bad mod and backup plan.
That makes sense to me. Three years ago when I first was making long distance trips with my S I used CHAdeMO on every trip. During the last year I have not used it in the US but have in Canada. I'll have one in my ending Model 3 too, as soon as CHAdeMO is enabled for Model 3.

Sometime there may well be a CCS adapter, in which case there will certainly be times it will be convenient to use it, but that is at least two years away. As @Saghost said, there are no authorised CCS adapters anyway, although Tesla is a full member of CharIN, the parent of CCS standard, so eventually an adapter might happen. Nobody should be expecting such a thing.

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
Location location location. A lot of this depends on where they are located and what is nearby. When I go to Portland Oregon, there is the Supercharger at The Dalles, but it's a long walk to anything. But there is a CHAdeMo in Hood River in the parking lot across the street from Full Sail Brewing Company, which has great food. So I would rather eat lunch there and get a CHAdeMo fill up.

CHAdeMo if it's about 45-50kW is not very much slower than Superchargers in some respects. By a little over half full, the battery is tapering down to about the 50kW level anyway, so there's maybe a 5-10 minute difference early on, and then for the upper half of the battery, they are the same.

Reactions: jsmay311

Snerruc

Unqualified Doofus
Apr 16, 2016
Palm Bay
Location location location. A lot of this depends on where they are located and what is nearby. When I go to Portland Oregon, there is the Supercharger at The Dalles, but it's a long walk to anything. But there is a CHAdeMo in Hood River in the parking lot across the street from Full Sail Brewing Company, which has great food. So I would rather eat lunch there and get a CHAdeMo fill up.

CHAdeMo if it's about 45-50kW is not very much slower than Superchargers in some respects. By a little over half full, the battery is tapering down to about the 50kW level anyway, so there's maybe a 5-10 minute difference early on, and then for the upper half of the battery, they are the same.
+1 I have used CHAdeMO frequently. In the real world there is not much difference between the systems in the top half of the battery.

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
+1 I have used CHAdeMO frequently. In the real world there is not much difference between the systems in the top half of the battery.
Oh, and I forgot the other time CHAdeMo was super handy. I was on a trip along the coast in Oregon for about a week--Yachats, Newport, Tillamook, Cannon Beach, Astoria, etc. Aerovironment has a great network called the West Coast Electric Highway through Washington and Oregon, and it's either $20 per month for the unlimited plan or $7.50 per charge session(no time limit) for CHAdeMo. I used that every day during that trip, and it was really fast and convenient. That was before Tesla had any Superchargers along the 101 coast highway there.
EV Solutions | Subscribe To The West Coast Electric Highway

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC