Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast charging without preconditioning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen mixed info on this online, but does preconditioning before fast charging help maintain battery life or is it purely for helping it charge fast ASAP? I see some pages say preconditioning "extends battery life" but offer zero citations on that.

I have the CCS adapter, and on some roadtrips sometimes CCS fast charging is more convenient than Superchargers, either by charge timing or location or even being cheaper (long road trips with a 1 month Electrify America pass can be cheaper than Supercharging by a decent margin if you're in an expensive area, especially at daytime rates), but the Tesla doesn't start preconditioning when navigating to CCS chargers and I want to make sure I'm not negatively impacting my battery.

Not preconditioning means you arrive with a cooler battery. The car's charging logic will reduce charging power accordingly. You will not hurt your car more, you will simply charge slower, thus for longer. Note that the car will condition the battery as you charge, using a few kW for that, which means you'll charge even slower until the pack reaches the proper temp.

Just for your information, some of us live where temperatures go well below freezing. Plugging to a supercharger with such a cold battery simply doesn't charge at all, the car pulls a few kW to warm the battery and charging will ramp up as the battery warms. That's very long :)

Thanks for the good info, folks. Just wanted to mostly be sure I wasn’t shortening my battery like.

Currently road tripping and superchargers out here are 0.59/kw while electrify America is 0.31 and often more convenient to stores. Paid for the monthly pass with my first charge and now it’s working on paying off the CCS adapter. Not to mention the superchargers out here are often pretty crowded and rarely give anywhere near their rated output unless you go off hours.