Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast discharge after watching Youtube on SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
Took my wife to the supermarket and watched Youtube whilst I waited for her. Then drove home. Arrived with 58% SoC at around 12:30. Parked car.

At 15:30 got a message from the Tesla app saying something like "HVAC been on a long time". Checked the app and the battery was down to 21%!

Went to the car and inside it was very hot even though the temperature was set to 20C! Turned off the HVAC.

Checking TeslaFi, I can see it used 18.2kW (that's ~ 40% SoC in 3 hours) whilst car was parked on the drive . The car was locked as the mirrors were in!

Anyone had this kind off experience? Could be very worrying if this happens whilst out somewhere and didn't have enough charge to get home...

fast discharge.png
I'm going to power down and re-boot the car and hope this never happens again!

Attachments

• fast discharge.png
    fast discharge.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 58
Took my wife to the supermarket and watched Youtube whilst I waited for her. Then drove home. Arrived with 58% SoC at around 12:30. Parked car.

At 15:30 got a message from the Tesla app saying something like "HVAC been on a long time". Checked the app and the battery was down to 21%!

Went to the car and inside it was very hot even though the temperature was set to 20C! Turned off the HVAC.

Checking TeslaFi, I can see it used 18.2kW (that's ~ 40% SoC in 3 hours) whilst car was parked on the drive . The car was locked as the mirrors were in!

Anyone had this kind off experience? Could be very worrying if this happens whilst out somewhere and didn't have enough charge to get home...

View attachment 662517
I'm going to power down and re-boot the car and hope this never happens again!

Wow! Not seen that. Is yours a pre heat pump car?

Yeah, it doesn't have a heat pump.
Thinking about it I can't really understand where 18kW could have gone. Surely the heater couldn't have used that much power and only raised the inside temperature to 29C? It's the same as driving around 80 miles according to TeslaFi...

Is there anything on the HVAC settings screen?

You may have one of the parked up settings enabled, or a very subtle error message. on left hand side.

Likewise, your TeslaFi log for that period may highlight something.

Also, some people with iirc Apple watches have found that they had accidentally triggered a climate mode.

Yeah, it doesn't have a heat pump.
Thinking about it I can't really understand where 18kW could have gone. Surely the heater couldn't have used that much power and only raised the inside temperature to 29C? It's the same as driving around 80 miles according to TeslaFi...

With the heating going full blast continuously for 3 hours it may be technically possible to consume at 6kW per hour but, as you say, you would expect the car to be very hot! In practise the heating will only manage to use that level of power during a cold winter morning pre condition and even then it won't keep it up for very long.

Not directly related to the OP but something I was surprised to discover when kWm usage was much higher than I would have expected after pre heating...

When we did this via the app on cold mornings during the winter, AC remained on even if I lowered the temperature afterwards or switched off via the phone (having initially assumed it would turn off).

Since then turning off AC via the screen has become a habit, still leaving the heating itself on but hardly affecting kWh usage.

Thinking more about this... I did turn off the HVAC on my phone whilst watching YouTube and opened the windows as the fans where quite noisy.
Just maybe, when I arrived home I "pocket dialed" the TURN ON CLIMATE - HIGH as that page would have been last used?

Would that have caused the high discharge until the SoC reached 20%?

Screenshot_20210516-075626_Tesla.jpg

When heating the car it can use lots of kWh. In winter even connected to a 7kW charge point it can deplete the battery.

If the fan was full speed I.e blowing air out of the car and brining cold air in which it then has to heat I’d say possible. If it was trying to heat and keep the battery warm as well, I’d say yes.

I’ve had something similar myself. As I was sat in the car fitting some bits and pieces and not going anywhere, I think I accidentally turned the air con on with the phone app.

I didn’t realise it was on and some time later after I’d finished I got a notification on the phone and the SOC had dropped quite a bit.

What do your TeslaFi logs show?
The last drive log shows that heating was set to 21C and inside car was at 21C. So normal when parked.
However the raw data shows that after parking the temperature rose to 21.6C in about 7 minutes (due to solar gain I think) and then started to ramp up to 28C. Maybe that's when I "pocket dialed" the HVAC to come on? From there on every time the data is polled the Ideal battery range gets reduced by about 0.5 miles. Eventually it reached 20C and the car goes to sleep... and I guess the app sent me the message...

I think the lesson to be learned is to close down the Tesla app when not in use??

You should be able to see all the set points from the logged data - it may not be visible by default (edit layout to change what is shown), but you can drill down into pretty much everything. You would certainly be able to see if the driver and/or passenger temperature and other hvac settings changed during that period.

Here is a short example from a brief idle/park setting - actually the transition between sleep and timed charge
1621154753002.png

You have a lot more data available than just the default settings. From your raw settings log (you can also just expand the area where SoC is dropping off as that saves trawling through the raw data for the day) it looks like you need to added (using edit layout) all the relevant HVAC settings. That will show you exactly what they were set to and if/when they changed. Loads of options to select, eg

1621156644181.png

You have a lot more data available than just the default settings.
Wow! I didn't know you could drill down into so much data! Thanks VanillaAir_UK

Well looking at the raw data it does seem that preconditioning was started at the same time the car was locked. That might have been when I picked up the phone from the in car wireless charger, when getting out of the car. It's just possible that face ID unlocked the phone monumentally and I hit the precondition button??
BTW the phone is a Samsung S10

Reactions: MrBadger