Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast drop in charging rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm currently driving a Model 3 and I'm experiencing problems with charging.
When I start charging at a fastcharge location from Tesla or another fast charger (150Kw +) at a low battery level, the charging rate immediately starts to drop down. In example: it starts at 800km/h and after a few minutes the charging rat is halved to 400km/h. I'm aware of Tesla's charging curve and the environmental factors that could lead to a lower charging rate, but this happens to me all the time. The whole idea of quick charging (say 100KW for 20 minutes) is not possible with my car.

I already went to a Tesla dealer and they told me nothing is wrong with the car and it is because of the curve and problems at some supercharger locations in the Netherlands.

Are there others that recognise this problem and know how to fix it?

I feel like this is not the way driving a Tesla should be, because right now I have to charge for an hour in order to get the battery halfway charged.

Welcome as a new member. I wonder if you are also a fairly new owner since this topic comes up a lot with new owners. It is not at all uncommon to see varying charging rates during a charge cycle. Having said that, it does sound a bit long to take an hour for halfway charge.

By the way, what do you mean at another 150KW charger? I don't know of any.

Welcome as a new member. I wonder if you are also a fairly new owner since this topic comes up a lot with new owners. It is not at all uncommon to see varying charging rates during a charge cycle. Having said that, it does sound a bit long to take an hour for halfway charge.

Fastned and Ionity both offer fast charging in the Netherlands amongst others probably.

The only other thing I can think of for the OP is that the battery might not be heated up enough to sustain fast charge speeds. He said he already knows about the charge curves and environmental factors though.

I wonder if this is a standard range + which maxes at 170Kw I believe. But he should still get close to 100kw for 20 minutes or so when starting at a low state of charge.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
It's Europe. Model 3s there are built to accept standard European Type 2 CCS charging also.

*Edit* Oh, whoops, I just noticed this is in the Model S thread, not Model 3. But Tesla has been retrofitting and offering adapters for the Model S and Model X there in Europe to use CCS.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

First of all, thank you for responding.

On the internet I find these kind of curves which show a high charging rate for for a longer time.

url

I understand that it is not realistic to think that a battery can charge on full speed the whole session, but my charging rate starts dropping from the moment it starts charging.

• Helpful
Fastned and Ionity both offer fast charging in the Netherlands amongst others probably.

The only other thing I can think of for the OP is that the battery might not be heated up enough to sustain fast charge speeds. He said he already knows about the charge curves

That is indeed on of the environmental factors Tesla told me about. The funny thing is, a few months ago I made a trip to Austria and the problem occured at every place, so the battery was hot enough and the charge stations were capable of charging at fast rates.