Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faster A/C charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the battery pack that will be required for the tri-motor, I have to wonder if Tesla might have a noticeably larger inverter onboard for A/C charging, also have a mobile charger that can handle higher amps as well as new Destination chargers that support higher amps.
I've considered getting a destination/wall charger in my garage for my Model 3 (just using mobile charger currently), That way I could benefit from it for my M3 and simply use it when my Cybertruck comes around. But were Tesla to release a higher amp one for the Cybertruck, i'd rather just wait and get that higher-amp unit as that's what I would want.
Thoughts/opinions on the Tesla releasing such a unit?

• Helpful
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
There is plenty of time before you need to worry about which wall connector you should use with CT. Don't try to get ahead of Tesla.

Don't forget your source (home) has to be able to support the circuit for wall connector to get more. I don't need to know the answer for you home, but does yours? Else waste of time.

Example: If you have a charging window at home from 08:00 pm to 06:00 am, does it matter if the CT takes 3 hours or 5 hours to charge as long as it's done by departure time? What's the point of charging faster unless your situation demands it every day? You have to weigh the cost of infrastructure installation against the gain/need.

Mobile charger of higher amperage? Doubtful, their pattern is lower, not higher. But again. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Given the battery pack that will be required for the tri-motor, I have to wonder if Tesla might have a noticeably larger inverter onboard for A/C charging, also have a mobile charger that can handle higher amps as well as new Destination chargers that support higher amps.
I've considered getting a destination/wall charger in my garage for my Model 3 (just using mobile charger currently), That way I could benefit from it for my M3 and simply use it when my Cybertruck comes around. But were Tesla to release a higher amp one for the Cybertruck, i'd rather just wait and get that higher-amp unit as that's what I would want.

For the truck, doubtful.

Why do you need more for the car? It'll charge from empty to fill in about 10 hours at 32A

Thanks everyone. Let's see. No I don't need it now, which is why I haven't bought it already. However occasionally I do have situations where the extra charge speed would be beneficial. Just not often. Yes my house & panel can handle the additional theoretical amps.

The reason I can see them possibly doing this is that with the size of the CT's battery pack, the charge time with the current wall charger would actually be relatively long. Maybe double the 100a/h pack on the S. If such is the case I can see them maybe updating the charger to still try to full charge the CT in timeframe closer to what we currently see for S, X & 3.

Thanks everyone. Let's see. No I don't need it now, which is why I haven't bought it already. However occasionally I do have situations where the extra charge speed would be beneficial. Just not often. Yes my house & panel can handle the additional theoretical amps.

The reason I can see them possibly doing this is that with the size of the CT's battery pack, the charge time with the current wall charger would actually be relatively long. Maybe double the 100a/h pack on the S. If such is the case I can see them maybe updating the charger to still try to full charge the CT in timeframe closer to what we currently see for S, X & 3.

A bigger charger isn't generally the issue. It's that most homes can't provide that amount of current!

A 200 kWh Cybertruck (my guess for the tri motor) would take 17.5 hours to fully charge at 48 amps, 240 volts. Increase it to 72 amps and the charge time is reduced to just under 12 hours. Charging at 32 amps on a gen 2 mobile connector is in excess of 24 hours.

My guess is the pack will be less than 200 kWh, maybe as low as 150 kWh. Newest model X gets 351 miles out of 100 kWh and I have to imagine there’s going to be some breakthrough battery tech in the next few years.

I think faster supercharging is more important, 250 kw all the way to 80% or so would be huge.

Faster AC charging may be a selling point but 48 amps is probably enough for 99.9% of cases. Destination charging if towing wouldn’t have you leaving with a full battery but any standard road trip will allow for at least 1 supercharger stop in 500 miles of driving. Not many can go for that long without stopping anyways.

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
I’d argue that the bigger the battery, the LESS true need for high-amp L2 charging (and in some cases, less need for Superchargers).

If I owned a TriMotor CT, and had it charged to 400 miles (80%), I could go almost 2 weeks of my usual usage (200 mi/wk) before I HAD to plug in. Said another way, my daily commute would take 40% LESS, as a percentage of battery required, then my current P3D. (40 miles = ~15% in P3D; would be ~9% of TriMotor CT)

Given that I only use a NEMA 5-15 for my P3D, the bigger battery of the CT would make me even less inclined to install high-amp L2 charging. But that’s just me.

Reactions: APotatoGod

Given that the new Gen 3 HPWC max out at 48 amps I think we can conclude that the CT will not been able to charge faster than that.

Reactions: Mrbrock and Rocky_H
I think most of slow charging advocates miss the point. People are not buying 150-200 kWh batteries because they drive 10 miles to work.

They are towing, going to cabins with no/minimal power, to trailheads far away from any Superchargers, traveling a lot in very cold locations, etc.

A nominal 500 mile range will be less than 250 miles towing a big trailer in cold weather, assuming flat terrain. Higher speed AC charging will be mportant.

The 500 mile CT is not for urban cowboys going to the mall. The short range trucks, sure.

I can’t wait for my CT. I use the 72 A charging on my X all the time. Important for midday charging when needed.

I think most of slow charging advocates miss the point. People are not buying 150-200 kWh batteries because they drive 10 miles to work.

They are towing, going to cabins with no/minimal power, to trailheads far away from any Superchargers, traveling a lot in very cold locations, etc.

A nominal 500 mile range will be less than 250 miles towing a big trailer in cold weather, assuming flat terrain. Higher speed AC charging will be mportant.

The 500 mile CT is not for urban cowboys going to the mall. The short range trucks, sure.

I can’t wait for my CT. I use the 72 A charging on my X all the time. Important for midday charging when needed.

Of course the 500 mile truck is for urban cowboys. It’s both a status thing and the only way to get the fastest acceleration times. 99% of CT owners will never do the things you mentioned.

Of course the 500 mile truck is for urban cowboys. It’s both a status thing and the only way to get the fastest acceleration times. 99% of CT owners will never do the things you mentioned.

Status? 99.99% of the population will not be able to see or understand the differences between the different flavors of the truck.

Who is so silly to think a 3 second pickup is important for 100,000 purchasers? A few sure, just like the people who a snow plow on the front of a Porsche.

Reactions: cybertrucker

Maybe, but if you want to haul a heavy non-aerodynamic load or pull a 7,000 lb trailer (or both), you'll need notional 500 mile range and triple motors to get decent speed and 300 mile range.

Back to the original question: Some early Model S had dual chargers and some also had 80A support, so the capability already exists in Tesla's software for both these..
I'll be interesting if Tesla provide either of these two capabilities on the tri-motor CyberTruck.

Still back to the question. There was not question in your question. :)

There's a lot of "gee, I hope it has this or that" going on. And Elon has encouraged people to feed them what they want to see on the truck, but unless these same people are tweeting what they want to him to put on it

I'll definitely be highly disappointed if dual chargers aren't even offered as an option. The rated range capacity of 500 miles is enticing, but also a bit of a concern. My X currently charges at 26 mph, with a capacity of 225 "miles" (notice the asterisks here). If the CT charges at the same rate (let's say 30 for giggles), then you'll need at least 13 hours just to charge to 80%. This isn't ideal at all, especially since we know that miles don't equal true miles in an EV. Some may say not to let it fall low enough to worry about it, but that's an exception, not the actual premise. We should be able to get a full charge overnight at home, heck I even have a 100 amp breaker ready to go (we know that may be useless since its potentially maxed at 48 amps).

My SC told me that you could still install dual chargers on a new Model S "off the menu", assuming you had a Gen 1 HPWC to use the second (or at least the remainder of the 80A). There's probably a way (or will be a way) to make it happen with the larger models like the CT as well. There have always been "secret" options if you knew what to ask for (for example, I got my 3G cell card upgraded to 4G, and I've heard of people fitting the AM/FM radio units from totaled cars back into newer MCUs).

What would REALLY be cool is if there were a three phase option (e.g. something short of a supercharger) for those that had the service (e.g. industrial/commercial drop)...

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H