Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faster discharge from 100% -> 80% vs 80% -> 0%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I upgraded by 60D to a 75D and noticed that for some reason my average wh/mile has increased for the same route that I took on 60D. I did a few runs and it seems like when I'm starting from 100% the battery drains faster than when 80%-0%.

I've seen similar behavior on phones that use Li-Ion batteries, where the 100%->80% rate seems much higher than it stabilizes.

Does anyone know if the same applies to Tesla batteries or am I just crazy?

I have only done range charges on my car twice. Remember, the regeneration is limited at 100%, so you will be less efficient and I always find the first 10 miles of driving are less efficient than after the "warm up", even with a much lower SOC. The difference is less in warm weather, but there is still a difference.

When you start driving, the heater or AC needs to get the cabin to temperature which will take more energy initially. As has been mentioned, regen is limited when the battery is near full. In fact it is still a little limited down to about 90% even though the limiter lines disappear earlier.