Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faster Model S price depreciation after interior refresh in 2019?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I am about to order my first Tesla, just trying to make up my mind between Model 3 AWD and Model S 75D. Are people worried about a faster Model S price depreciation if there is an interior refresh in 2019? I saw this article that says Tesla is planning a Model S interior refresh in 2019.

Exclusive first look at Tesla Model S and Model X interior refresh: going spartan like Model 3

Should I stay away from Model S this year and order a Model 3D instead?
Take a look at the market, are is there significant depreciation between autopilot 1 and 2 cars? What about the last design refresh. So far I don't think there has been much difference.
Don't forget that the Model S refresh won't be available for the tax credit.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Personally, I don't believe FSD is going to happen anytime soon, so an instrument layout optimized for it isn't very appealing.
If depreciation is a concern, buy a good used S now.

I've been on the fence for a while about upgrading. I really want the bigger battery, but didn't want to be stuck with a prior generation interior. The images of that new interior finally kicked me over the edge to order a 100D. I don't mind the new concept. But it doesn't blow me away and it's not enough to make me wait.

Reactions: MarkKW
Tesla time (add two years) and if the refresh is anything like the pictures online, the new one will depreciate faster!!!! (guaranteed)

The current is a extremely nice setup and you will grow to love it even with its quirks. We have been a 3 Models S household and currently have two - all the other cars we have don't move- until the kids drive them.. Both the S and 3 are amazing machines...

Reactions: FlyinLow
I think the Model 3 dashboard is a big departure from regular transportation interior design, so I can understand why a lot of people who are already taking a leap in switching to EV might like the comfort of a more regular interior design.

I personally don't like the minimalistic dash design in model 3. We cannot compare this with the first iphone launch with all touch screen. Driving dynamics is very different from using a smartphone. Doing things on the screen actually takes your attention away from driving and full self driving is not here yet!

I think I will go with the Model S 75D despite it's shorter range than Model 3D LR.

I agree with what has already been said about the sparse looking MS interior refresh. For a luxury sedan if anything they should add more creature comforts not take them away. Attention to detail is important on a car in this price range imo

I totally agree. Look at the interior on a S class vs the Tesla. For a $77k+ car the interior should be much nicer. Don't get me wrong I love my model S but the interior isn't even close to the one in the S Class.

Reactions: Graphene
I totally agree. Look at the interior on a S class vs the Tesla. For a $77k+ car the interior should be much nicer. Don't get me wrong I love my model S but the interior isn't even close to the one in the S Class.

Unfortunately we've only been shown potential dash and vent renderings. Who knows what the center console, doors storage, rear seat options and other amenities will look like. It will have to out class the 3, or the only noticeable difference between the 3 and S will be the size to the casual observer.

Having ridden in severs high end, traditional luxury cars lately, the difference is truly found in the details. Stitching on the seats, console and dash panels, premium materials, curves and comfortable yet stout feeling accessories are a must. With the experience Tesla has now and the addition of the new head of interior design I think we will be pleasantly surprised.

One thing I doubt is that the extended screen will survive. It must be flush or it will look tacked on like it does in the 3. Not appealing having that large landscape screen sticking out into the cabin space like in the renderings. Flush and vertical, like it is on the new Roadster would be my preference, curved or not.

Reactions: Graphene
By far the best response on this thread
A lot of comments about how bad the artists renderings look.
But the 2019 car isn't going to be designed by those artists, so it's utterly irrelevent.
Tesla just hired Ian Kettle from Volvo, who did the new XC40. I bet he'll be the designer. And the XC40 looks good.

Reactions: FlyinLow