Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faster way to turn FSD beta on/off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to turn on FSD beta without stopping, putting it in park, turning it on, agreeing, etc. (yes, I understand the liability issues)?

Any way to turn it off without cancelling auto steer, and deselecting it while driving manually (or stopping to do it safely)?

I've heard people discuss setting up different driver profiles, but that didn't work.

Is there any way to turn on FSD beta without stopping, putting it in park, turning it on, agreeing, etc. (yes, I understand the liability issues)?

Any way to turn it off without cancelling auto steer, and deselecting it while driving manually (or stopping to do it safely)?

I've heard people discuss setting up different driver profiles, but that didn't work.
I use two profiles, one with FSD enable, one without. Works perfectly.

Reactions: RTPEV
Any way to turn it (FSD) off without cancelling auto steer
Isn't that a contradiction? FSD *is* auto steer, at least using the latter as a generic term. If you forcibly turn the wheel while FSD is enabled, FSD will disengage (no auto steer) butt TACC (speed limit, lane-keep, following distance) remains on but that's not what you asked.

Plus, the profile thing works fine for me as well even when driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
You can enable Tesla Advanced Driver Assist on a city street, and while engaged switch profiles to one where Advanced Driver Assist is disabled? What does the computer do if it's in the middle of a maneuver? Do you get the red hands to take over, or does it continue in basic Tesla Driver Assist? If it's in the middle of a left turn, does it straighten out and hit the curb, or does it finish the turn and then switch to Driver Assist?

Isn't that a contradiction? FSD *is* auto steer, at least using the latter as a generic term. If you forcibly turn the wheel while FSD is enabled, FSD will disengage (no auto steer) butt TACC (speed limit, lane-keep, following distance) remains on but that's not what you asked.

Plus, the profile thing works fine for me as well even when driving.
I may have forgotten the exact wording, but when I tried to turn it off, I think it said I must turn off auto steer.

Depends on what you mean exactly. If you turn on FSD without a destination set (or remove the destination while you’re in FSD), it’s kind of like autosteer (except more aware, I guess). Is that what you mean?

I do that every now and then when I don’t want all the “smarts” of FSD (as in, I dislike the navigation route).

As others have noted, what you seem to be asking about appears to make no sense without more context:

-- If you dont want FSDb to engage, then dont engage it. Easy.
-- if you dont want FSDb at all, turn it off in the Autopilot screen, and you are done.

You SEEM to be asking about switching back from FSDb to "good old AP" .. but need to do it while driving, which seems .. er .. odd.

Reactions: derotam and Dewg
As others have noted, what you seem to be asking about appears to make no sense without more context:

-- If you dont want FSDb to engage, then dont engage it. Easy.
-- if you dont want FSDb at all, turn it off in the Autopilot screen, and you are done.

You SEEM to be asking about switching back from FSDb to "good old AP" .. but need to do it while driving, which seems .. er .. odd.
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Here's the situation:

There's a segment of rural two-lane road where FSD beta does better than plain old autopilot. That's mainly because the car interprets truck speed limit signs as regular speed limit signs. With plain old autopilot, the car won't allow me set the speed greater than 5 MPH over the 30 MPH truck limit. FSD beta allows me to override the misinterpreted speed limit. It works great there, and it's not stressful to drive with it on.

In town, so far, FSD beta has made enough mistakes that it's a bit stressful to use it. I'd rather use plain old autopilot, and make the turns myself.

So after I leave town and come to the segment I mentioned, I'd like to quickly and easily change from plain old autopilot to FSD beta. I'd rather not stop, put in park, bring up the screen, etc. Same for the reverse.

Let me know if that still seems odd.

In any case, it sounds like there is no quick and easy way to switch.

They act differently even on the same kind of road (for example, AP won't make turns, and it stops at green lights). They act the same on protected access highways.
just wait for "the merge" with FSDb V11 and it all becomes one unified stack.

As for the switching between the two. Using two driver profiles has worked perfectly for many folks.
I switch profiles for some roads where FSDb attempts to stop for flashing yellow warning signs on a fast 70mph road, then switch back.

As for the switching between the two. Using two driver profiles has worked perfectly for many folks.
I switch profiles for some roads where FSDb attempts to stop for flashing yellow warning signs on a fast 70mph road, then switch back.
Thanks. I'll have to experiment some more. So, you create two, one of which has FSD beta enabled, and you can switch back and forth while driving? I tried that and it didn't work as expected.

In town, so far, FSD beta has made enough mistakes that it's a bit stressful to use it. I'd rather use plain old autopilot, and make the turns myself.
While I get your use case (thanks for the explanation), I'm surprised that you find AP ok to use in a town where FSD causes issues. Agreed that FSD is still evolving, but I'm trying to imagine a case where AP is safer and/or better than FSD in a town. Either you have a lot of intersections/turns etc, in which case AP isnt at all suitable, or you have a simple set of suburban roads with little complexity, in which case FSD is very good indeed.

My concern here is you are switching from "safe but anxious" (FSDb) to "unsafe but relaxing" (AP), since AP in a busy city is definitely NOT recommended. Sure, AP wont cause anxiety, simply because it's too dumb to respond to all the complexities of city driving. But isnt that just creating a false sense of security for you?

In any case, FSDb (despite all the gloom-and-doom you read here) is approaching a point where you should indeed be able to use it without anxiety in all cases. Which should kinda solve your problem.