TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fastest Configuration to VIN assignment ever

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tuoncan, Jul 16, 2018.

1. tuoncan

tuoncan Member

I configured my model 3 LR silver RWD last night (~9:00 PM). Selected Santa Barbara as the pickup location. Today at ~12:00 PM, I got a call from Tesla saying they have a car for me. The lady has sent me the email with my VIN and setup an appointment to pick up the car this Saturday. I was expecting the 1-3 months wait as stated when configured the car. Now I don't even have a place to charge at home yet. I was still looking to get a NEMA 14-50 installed at my place.

Here is my proof
    20180716_125937.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Ok ... and your point is?

It just so happens they have an exact car that matches your spec and ready to go. They manufactured a lot of silver cars (and others, except red and white) and stock piled them across the country. That's all :)

3. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

I think his point is - this is CA with tons of people waiting and this car should have been given to someone who ordered 6/27. This does puzzle me.

4. psykobunny83

psykobunny83 Member

Hey maybe you got the car from the other gentleman's thread on here; the guy that rejected his delivery due to all the scratches all over it. :p

• Funny x 2
  5. tuoncan

tuoncan Member

My point is that this kind of situation can happen lol. I have seen people taking weeks to get their VIN. I'm just surprised of the quick turnaround. Maybe selecting the pickup location can affect on how fast you can get your car.

• Like x 1
  6. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Or a reject, as somebody pointed out earlier :)

• Funny x 1
  7. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

And why wouldn't they offer a reject to someone next in line, not at the end of the line? I assume they'll fix whatever paint defects to the point where they are unnoticeable anyway.

8. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

I'm guessing it is definitely based on location. Perhaps not many folks in the SB area ordered that config?

• Like x 1
  9. Motor Mouth

Motor Mouth Member

First off - congratulations! Not only is it cool to be getting your car right away, but it suggests to me that this may be further evidence of the burst of deliveries at the front end of Q3. As for the charger, if your commute is less than 30 miles or so, you can still charge slowly every evening on your existing circuit and probably be okay. Hopefully, you can find an electrician and get it installed soon. Happy motoring!

• Like x 1