Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fastest level 2 charge in the world!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
48 miles per hour at 48amps, 256 volts - this is fun!

Attachments

• EFA0D2FF-BEC7-48C2-B772-67BB95CC6C51.png
    EFA0D2FF-BEC7-48C2-B772-67BB95CC6C51.png
    628.5 KB · Views: 311
  • Love
Reactions: ratsbew and Acps110
I should have clarified. I meant, do you always charge to such a high percentage of battery capacity? Do you have concerns about degradation?
Aha, yes. I charge all cars to 90% daily.

No concerns, degradation has leveled off on the legacy cars and the Model 3 with the new tech is chugging along. Tesla did a great job on the battery design all around!

This reminds me, do you think we will start to see higher output level 2 public EVSEs now that there are more and more cars that have onboard chargers that can do more than 6.6kW? I've not seen a level 2 over 7.xkW (240x30) other than a tesla destination charger.

yeah i'm not saying they aren't out there already i'm just wondering if they will become more the norm instead of 30amps.

I have actually seen the opposite, if you can believe it. A local IKEA went from 2 Sun Country chargers outputting 48A, to 2 shared Chargepoint chargers, doing 32A or 16A each if both connectors are in use. Now, they went from 2 ports to 4 ports, but still.

On a somewhat related note, can anybody tell me why most public chargers are around 200V, while home setups are ~240V? that's a big difference.

I have actually seen the opposite, if you can believe it. A local IKEA went from 2 Sun Country chargers outputting 48A, to 2 shared Chargepoint chargers, doing 32A or 16A each if both connectors are in use. Now, they went from 2 ports to 4 ports, but still.

On a somewhat related note, can anybody tell me why most public chargers are around 200V, while home setups are ~240V? that's a big difference.

Most commercial electrical systems are 208/120v three phase. So nominal voltage is 208v for car charging (connected from one “hot” leg to the other “hot” leg).

So if you are seeing 200v that is a bit low, though perhaps still in spec.

Car chargers are often a long way from the transformer and they are big loads so voltage drop is a major consideration.

• Informative
Reactions: pjoseph
Most commercial electrical systems are 208/120v three phase. So nominal voltage is 208v for car charging (connected from one “hot” leg to the other “hot” leg).

So if you are seeing 200v that is a bit low, though perhaps still in spec.

Car chargers are often a long way from the transformer and they are big loads so voltage drop is a major consideration.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd say 90% of the public chargers I've used are 198-202V.

I've tried several L2 chargers in my area, I've seen them at 32, 40, and 48 amps, but always on 208 volt lines, and by the time the power gets to the car it is anywhere between 180 and 205 volts

Wow, anything that is 180 volts is BAD. Someone needs to look at that. Probably loose connections somewhere (or I guess it could be just really long wire of insufficient gauge, but that would be a big mistake to have installed it that way).

I am surprised the Tesla would not kick off and refuse to charge (or at least back off charging speed). I am not sure what their current thresholds are for backoff / abort.

Wow, anything that is 180 volts is BAD. Someone needs to look at that. Probably loose connections somewhere (or I guess it could be just really long wire of insufficient gauge, but that would be a big mistake to have installed it that way).

I am surprised the Tesla would not kick off and refuse to charge (or at least back off charging speed). I am not sure what their current thresholds are for backoff / abort.
It does trip that safety check if it's that low. This person has a Model 3 and was asking about the charge level backing off the amps really low at a public J1772 station, and the voltage was showing 188V.
Can't pull high power from ChargePoint Level 2, J1772, | Tesla