Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fastest that I can charge at work ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in the Hurricane household we shall soon have four EVs. I have an M3P, my two daughters have Zoes and my wife is about to order a car. She hasn’t decided what yet, but a condition is that it must be able to charge at 22KW. That means all our cars will be able to charge at 22KW except my cutting edge, incredibly advanced M3 which is restricted to the 11KW slow lane.

I have a three phase supply and already have a 22KW Andersen. I’m hoping that I can add another 22KW unit. We all drive long distances and often all have to charge the same evening. That means fast charging because no one wants to get up at 3am to change charging cables to another car. Sure, I could get four 7KW chargers but that seems a bit OTT. I’m just hoping that the DNO and the Andersen installers give the go ahead.

Here in the Hurricane household we shall soon have four EVs. I have an M3P, my two daughters have Zoes and my wife is about to order a car. She hasn’t decided what yet, but a condition is that it must be able to charge at 22KW. That means all our cars will be able to charge at 22KW except my cutting edge, incredibly advanced M3 which is restricted to the 11KW slow lane.

I have a three phase supply and already have a 22KW Andersen. I’m hoping that I can add another 22KW unit. We all drive long distances and often all have to charge the same evening. That means fast charging because no one wants to get up at 3am to change charging cables to another car. Sure, I could get four 7KW chargers but that seems a bit OTT. I’m just hoping that the DNO and the Andersen installers give the go ahead.

Assuming you would use a max of 70kw per vehicle then a 7kw charger would be done in 10 hours so 4 X 7kw chargers should be fine for overnight charging.
Zoe battery sizes are even smaller so they'll be done in about 5 hours max
Or are you suggesting changing cables every night with a 22kw charger? Seems like a but of a faf with 4 cars.

Get the benefit of octopus go with overnight charging as well

another 22kw (assuming it has load balancing vs grid or with the other charger directly) - so you may need to swap but only once? eg plug in two cars when they get home, then switch to the other two before bed and they can finish off overnight.

Woudn’t you struggle to have 2x22kw actually pulling though? Not sure what three phase brings you in terms of max house load

Assuming you would use a max of 70kw per vehicle then a 7kw charger would be done in 10 hours so 4 X 7kw chargers should be fine for overnight charging.
Zoe battery sizes are even smaller so they'll be done in about 5 hours max
Or are you suggesting changing cables every night with a 22kw charger? Seems like a but of a faf with 4 cars.

Get the benefit of octopus go with overnight charging as well

Changing cables every night wouldn’t be an issue. First two home plug in, second two plug in late evening and leave to charge till morning. The Zoes in particular charge very quickly at 22KW.

I don’t really want four chargers as two of them would have to be situated in a quite awkward position, and I also don’t want the house to look like an Instavolt charging station.

Plus, charging at 22KW at home is just cool!

another 22kw (assuming it has load balancing vs grid or with the other charger directly) - so you may need to swap but only once? eg plug in two cars when they get home, then switch to the other two before bed and they can finish off overnight.

Woudn’t you struggle to have 2x22kw actually pulling though? Not sure what three phase brings you in terms of max house load

Theoretically I should have enough power. My understanding is that 22KW needs about 96A. My three phase supply has three big, fat 100A fuses, so I should have enough for two 22KW chargers with more than 100A left for the rest of the house - more than enough. What I don’t know, though, is how that load is balanced between the phases. I don’t understand three phase, but in simple terms it’s a bit like having three separate power supplies to one property.

Theoretically I should have enough power. My understanding is that 22KW needs about 96A. My three phase supply has three big, fat 100A fuses, so I should have enough for two 22KW chargers with more than 100A left for the rest of the house - more than enough. What I don’t know, though, is how that load is balanced between the phases. I don’t understand three phase, but in simple terms it’s a bit like having three separate power supplies to one property.
Yes, the load is balanced between the phases.
When you're charging at 22kW you're pulling 32A from each phase, so you'll manage two cars charging and still have more than enough capacity for the rest of the house.
In fact, you might be able to JUST squeeze in yet another car charging at 22kW ;)

Reactions: Hurricane
As an aside you'd need to get DNO approval for a second charge point, the fuses are peak supply whereas the DNO assumes some diversity across the properties and supplies and as a result not everyone can just max out their supplies at the same time as the upstream infrastructure may not be able to cope. (You can think of it in the same way as your house which has lots of 13A sockets but if you used them all at the same time to the limit you'd quickly have a problem)

Since you opened this topic, I'm disappointed that Tesla used to offer dual charger option for Model S and since than it discontinued it. I think that this feature makes a lot of sense in Europe, especially when you do not have a private socket dedicated to your car. In my particular situation I live in the Czech Republic and 95% of all public AC chargers are capable of 22kW. This is why I created a petition towards Tesla (link here) and I'm trying to gather community support. Would anyone here support me with your signature (link here)?

Since you opened this topic, I'm disappointed that Tesla used to offer dual charger option for Model S and since than it discontinued it. I think that this feature makes a lot of sense in Europe, especially when you do not have a private socket dedicated to your car. In my particular situation I live in the Czech Republic and 95% of all public AC chargers are capable of 22kW. This is why I created a petition towards Tesla (link here) and I'm trying to gather community support. Would anyone here support me with your signature (link here)?
Signed, good luck 🤞 Držím palce.