Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FasTrak toll lanes in Los Angeles to charge all EVs soon.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did this ever take effect? I'm wondering if they just never got around to updating the website (considering it doesn't mention the expire green/white stickers):
"Vehicles displaying a DMV issued white or green Clean Air Vehicle decal can use the ExpressLanes toll-free with a switchable FasTrak Flex set to 3 (3+ person carpool)." Metro ExpressLanes

Nope. And let’s keep this quiet. I use it everyday. And can’t afford $11 a day just to get to downtown. That’s only half my commute.

Oh crap. You’re a right. So red stickers are not allowed to use the fastrak! sh!t

• Love
Reactions: MIT_S60
Personally I'd get rid of any specific express lanes, toll roads and the like as the "some can use, others cannot" approach really doesn't seem to help with traffic congestion. The M6 Toll hasn't really helped alleviate traffic pressure on the M6 around Birmingham because it's a toll, so no-one uses it unless someone else (like a business) is paying.
If only! Here in California, express toll lanes are clogged by people fully willing to pay more to go faster. I have a policy of always taking toll lanes everywhere, but for some reason, I have to get out of the toll lanes sometimes when they're slower than other lanes. I would love to have that particular problem you have, but it is opposite of ours.

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
In addition to the one-time fees ($100), the state will enact annual registration fees that will range from $25 for plug-ins with market values of less than $5,000, to $175 for plug-in vehicles that are worth at least $60,000 (we'll call that the Tesla Class).

So not only is there $100. There’s another $175 annual fee!! That’s close to $300 penalty for having a EV for the first year.

California will start charging electric vehicle fees in 2020
When the car is sold and bought used for $5,000, does it still get the $275 additional registration fee, or only the $100 additional registration fee? I'm trying to figure out if it's cheaper to buy a $5,000 ICE or a $5,000 EV.

Here in California, express toll lanes are clogged by people fully willing to pay more to go faster.

LoL. You mean toll lanes are clogged by people fully willing to cheat?

I see soooo many single riders in the HOV lanes and sooooo many people weave in and out of the toll lanes just to avoid the scanners. They swerve out just before the scanner and swerve back in just after the scanner. It’s Unbelievable.

Then there’s plenty of ppl who run paper plates for 4 years running tolls. I know those people. It’s upsetting.

LoL. You mean toll lanes are clogged by people fully willing to cheat?
No: pay. Those of us in the Express lanes have our toll tags. I don't see anybody weaving in and out to avoid the charging hangars.

I don't know if they misrepresent the number of passengers.

I see soooo many single riders in the HOV lanes and sooooo many people weave in and out of the toll lanes just to avoid the scanners. They swerve out just before the scanner and swerve back in just after the scanner. It’s Unbelievable.
If I saw that, I'd call CHP. I'm in habit of swinging IN to the toll lane during the charge point so that they can't catch me for switching lanes to "avoid" tolls just because the non-toll lane was faster for a while.

Then there’s plenty of ppl who run paper plates for 4 years running tolls. I know those people. It’s upsetting.
That's coming to an end slowly now that dealers must provide identification plates. Any cars without plates will start to be pulled over by cops regularly rather than never.

No: pay. Those of us in the Express lanes have our toll tags. I don't see anybody weaving in and out to avoid the charging hangars.

I have seen it. I was amazed. She literally switched out just before the toll readers and come right back in after the toll readers. All along the 110S.

Yes and I’m sure it’s easy for people to put 3+ while riding solo.

I have seen it. I was amazed. She literally switched out just before the toll readers and come right back in after the toll readers. All along the 110S.

Yes and I’m sure it’s easy for people to put 3+ while riding solo.

Does 110 have divider sticks? I have seen people doing this all the time on the 10 all the time with no dividers. But even on the 91 with sticks, I have seem big trucks just rolled over them. I think they are like plastic or rubber... bend down and just stand back up. I only use the 91 and EV get free toll on the 91 so I am good. LOL.

Does 110 have divider sticks? I have seen people doing this all the time on the 10 all the time with no dividers. But even on the 91 with sticks, I have seem big trucks just rolled over them. I think they are like plastic or rubber... bend down and just stand back up. I only use the 91 and EV get free toll on the 91 so I am good. LOL.

No. They tried the divider soft sticks for about 2-3 months. Each day more and more get run over and destroyed. They eventually pulled them all out. So now it’s back to unrestricted in and out.

I was hoping they would put up really big bumps so if people try to go over them at semi high speed they will ruin their car. But at low speed it would still be ok to roll over.

So if I have a white or green sticker, its still free? But red it's not?

I cant find any language showing that they've implemented tolls on EVs, all news articles mentioned late 2018. Anyone have any updates? Still a bunch of red stickered folks riding the 110 express lanes?

Reactions: MIT_S60
So if I have a white or green sticker, its still free? But red it's not?

I cant find any language showing that they've implemented tolls on EVs, all news articles mentioned late 2018. Anyone have any updates? Still a bunch of red stickered folks riding the 110 express lanes?

I think they just have not updated the wordings on the website. It would be really odd for them to say that the "expired" green/white HOV decals are good for solo Express lane driving. But now they don't really have a way to tell that you are a solo driver setting fastrak to 3... and I am not sure they are really trying to enforce it yet until they got the tech.

BTW, the words right now said that if you are solo driver in the Express lane caught with setting to 3, they just charge you the full toll. It's not like driving alone on HOV lane $300+ ticket!

I think they just have not updated the wordings on the website. It would be really odd for them to say that the "expired" green/white HOV decals are good for solo Express lane driving. But now they don't really have a way to tell that you are a solo driver setting fastrak to 3... and I am not sure they are really trying to enforce it yet until they got the tech.

BTW, the words right now said that if you are solo driver in the Express lane caught with setting to 3, they just charge you the full toll. It's not like driving alone on HOV lane $300+ ticket!

I occasionally see cops pulling people over. I think it’s still a HOV violation if caught.

I occasionally see cops pulling people over. I think it’s still a HOV violation if caught.

On an express lane? But it explicitly stated on the MetroExpress site that if caught, you pay the maximum amount of the toll regardless of entry point. That's like $10? $15? I just can't see that they could write you a HOV violation on a toll lane because you basically just evaded toll.