Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FasTrak toll road transponder in nose cone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The NC Quick Pass (which also works on the Northeast EasyPass, FL SunPass, and GA PeachPass systems) works great from inside the cone. We get the front license plate option (but don't have a front plate here in NC).

Dunno about SoCal, but in NorCal, with FasTrak touching top of windshield and
right side of mirror (that little area with minimal black window paint)
I've never had a problem getting a reading on a bridge. Says "Valid Fastrak"
every time. I do sort of worry about it so I pay close attention to the speed
on the signs at the tollbooth and get down to the printed speed.

I am in Northern California, and have had my FasTrak in my nosecone since purchase (2013). It works 100% of the time; I also don't have a front license plate installed, so I know that the FasTrak is the device that is getting read. The SC installed it for me.

i've only had my MS for a few weeks but i've tested this approach 2X so far and it's worked like a charm. thanks to the forum for the suggestion! my DS didn't have any guidance when i asked.

I too confirmed this position worked today. Right side of mirror at the very top of the glass. Got the beep crossing the Benicia Bridge and am thrilled!

I am in Northern California, and have had my FasTrak in my nosecone since purchase (2013). It works 100% of the time; I also don't have a front license plate installed, so I know that the FasTrak is the device that is getting read. The SC installed it for me.

With FasTrak in the nose cone, if you drive on 680 in the Commute Lane/Toll Road will you be charged as if you are a solo driver using the Commuter Lane?

With FasTrak in the nose cone, if you drive on 680 in the Commute Lane/Toll Road will you be charged as if you are a solo driver using the Commuter Lane?

I'm not sure I understand the question...I am assuming from your post that there must be overhead transponders/thingies on some portions of 680 (near Mission Blvd, perhaps?). I suspect that if that is the case, it would work, as I routinely drive 680 on the Benicia Bridge, and have never had problems with their overhead transponders. I also have HOV stickers for the Commute/HOV lanes

In the toll lanes you will get charged with the license plate tag.

Fas Trak FAQ specifically states you don't need the transponder in the toll lanes with the White Sticker on your car.

For internal windshield transponders the advise putting it in the mylar bag in the glove box so it does not get read on the toll lane readers.

You still get charged when going across some, if not all, of the bridges in the Bay Area even in the HOV lane (fees are just reduced), so you need a FasTrak or your front license plate in place. I routinely drive across the Bay Bridge and love being able to zip through in the commuter lane.