TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FasTrak Transponder - Windshield Location

Discussion in 'California' started by 0Q991, Apr 17, 2015.

1. 0Q991

0Q991 Member

Some from the East Coast have commented on issues with EZ Pass transponders being readable when windshield mounted in the Model S.

Has anyone had experience with windshield mounting a FasTrak transponder in CA? How about the switchable transponder in SoCal that's used with the MetroExpress Lanes?

I have a 70D on order and currently use those lanes daily. Advice / insight would be helpful. Thanks!

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I use those lanes...

On a 2013 S85, the area to the right of the rear view mirror...

13115628853_6ca7194228_z.jpg 20140228_175411_178 by dennis_p, on Flickr

Right beside where my wife is featuring the Lighting McQueen box is my transponder in its location. Use the Velcro to affix it to the glass.

3. 0Q991

0Q991 Member

Dennis -- Thanks so much. This is perfect. Right of the mirror--noted.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

You're welcome. Enjoy the Model S. I highly recommend picking it up at the factory. Make a weekend of it. (Do so on a Friday so that the factory is working during the tour.)

The drive down is easy with the SCs and all.

5. Larry

Larry Member

FYI I've held my Fastrak in that spot at least 10 times and cannot get it to work.

6. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Weird... I picked mine up in November 2013, and from what I can surmise, you picked yours up a few months earlier.

7. 0Q991

0Q991 Member

Maybe next time! I would, but we have young kids and my wife already indulges my auto obsession as it is.

Perhaps for the NEXT Tesla... ;)

8. Joseph Torbati

Joseph Torbati Local Vendor - NorCal

Hi, I've a lot of success installing fast track in the nose cone. If its the same setup they have in NoCal they make a specific transponder that can be mounted to the front plate holder but I always hide them inside the nose cone with no problems. If you need any help or have questions I could walk you through the install no problem.

9. spentan

spentan Active Member

I have a 2014 P85D (delivered 12-31-2014) and mine is mounted in this position, but I could only get it to work when mounted "touching" the headliner, UPSIDE DOWN!

I have the 91 Express Lanes one, which is switchable for the metro expresslanes, as well as giving you free travel on the 91 express lanes.

Hope this helps. If you want more pics, as to where they are, I can provide.

10. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

I just have my license plate registered in my Fastrak account so I don't need to mount the transponder. Besides, I never got it to beep, and I know the unit works (beeped in my other car).

11. spentan

spentan Active Member

If you have the switchable one, you need the transponder to tell the HOT lanes that you have 3 people (aka EV),

Mine beeps almost every time, so its definitely the right location. Let me know if people want pics.

12. 0Q991

0Q991 Member

Yes, pics please! I use the MetroExpress lanes daily... First Tesla due to arrive in May.

13. chetoc230

chetoc230 Member

send the pics! i tried the position that AEdennis showed in his pics and that didnt work for me. i am assuming because he was driving a pre-autopilot tesla.

i have a autopilot tesla and everywhere around the windshield and i cant get the darn thing to beep/scan when driving past the scanner on the 110 freeway.

14. Ed Chan

Ed Chan Member

This is a pre-autopilot windshield. I have yet to find a good place for my Expresslanes Fastrak on my autopilot car. It's really frustrating as I can't drive on the Metro Expresslanes without paying the toll in my Tesla. No, you can't get a license plate version for Metro.

15. spentan

spentan Active Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431571418.529687.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431571442.852075.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431571485.238290.jpg

Works perfectly in this position. Autopilot p85d

16. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

17. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

Thx! I'll need to get this new transponder. I have an older one without the switch. I see you took the pics below at SJC SUpercharger. Nice!

18. spentan

spentan Active Member

If it's on 3 and I go through a normal toll booth, will it treat it as 1? Most of the time I'm on 133, 241 and 73.

Ya get one from 91 Express lanes they provide no monthly fees and free rides on 91.

Was at SJC today. Been going to San Diego for work at least twice a week.

19. Ed Chan

Ed Chan Member

Thanks for the advise. I've tried that exact position, as well as the driver side, upside down like you, and have had 1/10 successful reads. Maybe I'll stop by and exchange my transponder and hopefully get a stronger one.

- - - Updated - - -

I've gone through the 73 with it set on 3 (in our Lexus) and it reads fine. Besides, if it doesn't read the fastrak, it'll read your plate and still give you the discount.

20. 0Q991

0Q991 Member

2015 70D. Tried the SoCal MetroExpress Lanes switchable transponder on both sides of the rear view mirror with no luck. Any advice?