Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FasTrak Transponder - Windshield Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with Tesla tech support just now. They said folks have had success mounting on the rear glass--to the right or left of the speaker housing.

Has anyone tried this?

I did this today and it worked better than ever... I just used the velcro to stick it on the parcel shelf (it holds reasonably well) on the left side of the speaker, towards the back of the tailgate glass. I only tested on the 110 between 91 and 105 as I didn't actually need to go that way, but it read on both the NB and SB lanes... 2/2 so far... I'll try again more next week.

Here are pictures of my location. I'd like to mount on my rear glass but i'm afraid to mess up my photosync tint...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432572568.997699.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432572578.360267.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432572586.179136.jpg

I would not install the ugly transponder anywhere visible in the car because ... well, it's ugly. Luckily, at least NorCal bridges have license-plate reading ability so you just have to login to your account at Fastrak, attach your car/license plate to the account, and never have to worry about the transponder again.

You get charged the FASTRAK rates for this, not the retail rate!!

I would not install the ugly transponder anywhere visible in the car because ... well, it's ugly. Luckily, at least NorCal bridges have license-plate reading ability so you just have to login to your account at Fastrak, attach your car/license plate to the account, and never have to worry about the transponder again.

You get charged the FASTRAK rates for this, not the retail rate!!

MetroExpress Lanes in LA, which have a switchable transponder to indicate HOV, allow electric cars with decal to select 3+ passengers, so we get to travel toll free. Unfortunately, you need to use the interior mounted transponder Bc after too many license plate reads, they notify you. Just a pain. And you want to make sure that tolls are free.

The parcel shelf location is perfect. Add a tint at 20% or lower and it'll be basically invisible.

I could never get it to read when the FastTrak is installed on my windshield either (Auto Pilot model), I'll probably try the parcel shelf next. I wonder if it would work when mounted under the parcel shelf instead of on top of the parcel shelf...

I just tried putting the FastTrak under the parcel shelf, secured with Velcro on the back (also added two additional one on top to ensure it doesn't fall off). It seems to work pretty well and it's also out of sight. The only down side of this is I can't easily switch between the number of passengers on the device while driving when I need to pay toll, but it doesn't make a huge difference since the device will be hard to reach anyway even sitting on top of the parcel shelf.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433040858.529839.jpg