Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fat steering wheel hurts my hands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go sir! Fix my fat steering wheel issue

In all seriousness, yes, you can have your steering wheel modified to run a bit thinner. Custom work will run you $1000-$1500 to redo the steering wheel and modify the outer ring thickness. Companies like DCTMS do this. You could also, more simply have the outer covering removed and have a service fit a less padded/thinner outer material. Companies like Dallas Custom Steering Wheel could do this. Both the companies I mentioned are very highly reputable that I've used in the past.

But, in general I don't find the 3 steering wheel thick at all. Its small circumference could take more getting used to IMO. I'd suggest to you to not grip the wheel so tightly...use the friction of your palm against the face of the ring most of the time or grab with your fingers around the area where the button housings meet with the steering wheel ring. Obviously there are times when you need to grip it normally but you can surely get away without that most of the time.

Does anyone else here suffer with hand pain from the Model 3 steering wheel?

I do approx 500 miles per week and having had the Model 3 for just 4 months I'm suffering quite badly with pain in both palms when driving. I think the issue is the very pronounced (and very hard) steel rim at the front out edge of the wheel, exactly the area where my palms rest, it's reached the point now where I'm aware of discomfort when not in the car. Interestingly I also have a Caterham 7 (it's a quirky English sports car!) which ought to be seriously uncomfortable by comparison, I did 150 miles in it at the weekend and even the thought of the pain just disappeared, perfectly fine. Back in the Tesla yesterday and the pain reappeared quite quickly.

I've searched Google for the problem and there does appear to be similar sufferers although not many.
I am having this same issue. Have you found a fix? It is bad enough I am considering selling my Tesla. I don’t want to but my hands are more important…

I am having this same issue. Have you found a fix? It is bad enough I am considering selling my Tesla. I don’t want to but my hands are more important…
Adjust your grip. Thickness is not the issue here.

I’ve driven old classics with very thin wheels and track cars with thick wheels. Thin was harder to grip and control.

“A thick steering wheel rim helps maintain the smoothness of the steering operation, especially when you are on highways or driving on rough terrain. It gives a better handgrip and decreases pressure on your fingers.”

Love my 3’s wheel.

I definitely do not grip it tightly, as the warning comes on frequently to take control of my wheel. I tend to hold it with one hand only, and I’m used to holding it with my right hand at the 4:30 position but the M3 only has 3:00 & 6:00 positions. So it’s probably a combo of issues. But my other 2 cars have much thinner wheels.

I agree that I prefer a less thick wheel as well, as my i3 wheel felt better. Is it possible also that you could adjust the seat and wheel position so that your arm/palm is more comfortable? It may be a combination of location and action. You have to raise the arm more and grip which is less comfortable.

Perhaps raise the seat and and move around?

these look like gimpy hacks but maybe one of them would be more comfortable? It would allow a different hand grip action.