Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fatal autopilot crash, NHTSA investigating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most FCW/AEB systems reduce rear end crashes by about 40%. When these findings were first released, I remember quite a few Tesla fans being upset/confused that Tesla's system (which at the time was one of the best around) was only at par with accident reduction rates of the other systems. Not sure why these lawyers think that 40% is outrageous or BS, when it is perfectly in line with other manufacturers' systems.

The problem is that the NHTSA report implied that the reduction was due to autopilot, not AEB which should have been active all along, but never quite worked right.

The problem is that the NHTSA report implied that the reduction was due to autopilot, not AEB which should have been active all along,

IIRC in the AP1 days, autopilot was the suite that included AEB and the optional TACC and AutoSteer.

Since the report is for an AP1 car, it seems to me that use of autopilot already means what you wish it said.

My expectation is that technology learning's from FSD also apply to AEB.

Reactions: EinSV
vote? isn't there a conclusive reason for this accident?

My guess is:

The investigation yielded facts or reasons such as: No brakes were applied by the driver and the car continued toward the collision course.

It cleared the automation system because of its limitations and also because the burden of proper driving fell on the driver.

So what caused the driver to abstain from an evasive maneuver or braking?

Could it be because of the movie Harry Potter? Medical condition?...

My guess is:

The investigation yielded facts or reasons such as: No brakes were applied by the driver and the car continued toward the collision course.

It cleared the automation system because of its limitations and also because the burden of proper driving fell on the driver.

that is their job to find the reason, not for you to try and reignite the debate. I still am asking VOTE? what VOTE?

I'm not sure it's really a vote, but more of a formality of accepting the conclusions of the investigation. It offers an opportunity for dissenting opinions if one or more of the board members feel the investigation and its conclusions are inaccurate. That has happened before, and sometimes the dissenting board member(s) is/are allowed to add his/their opinion statement(s) to the final investigative docket as an appendix.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
that is their job to find the reason, not for you to try and reignite the debate. I still am asking VOTE? what VOTE?

All the joking about alternative facts aside, I think voting in such instances is simply a reflection of the elusiveness of the facts. The real world actually is quite ambiguous, no matter the present-day tendency of gravitating towards black and white.

We don't always know, even after a best effort, so differences of view and interpretation remain. As a board (like a court) needs to reach a conclusion, I can see them voting in case such differences remain.

My guess is:

As debunked before there was no Movie playing in the car.

OK final reports are coming in and we can now say conclusively that he was NOT watching harry potter.

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/59500-59999/59989/604759.pdf

The
National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)Vehicle Recorder Division received the following devices

Device 1:
Laptop Computer
Device 1 Serial Number:
ECN0CX305107503

Device 2:
Chromebook
Device 2 Serial Number:
FCNLCX051001518

Device 3:
Chromebit
Device 3 Serial Number:100A
-
CM2XXNF

Device 4:
Micro
SD
Memory Card
Device 4 Serial Number:
n/a

The hard drive was removed from the laptop and was imaged using forensic software. The image of the hard drive was reviewed. The most recent accessed, modified, and created files were from April 6, 2016. The screen of the laptop was broken so the clock drift of the laptop could not be determined. Without the offset of the laptop clock to real time, it could not be concluded whether or not the driver was on the laptop at the time of the crash. No Harry Potter movie file was found on the hard drive of the device

The micro SD memory card contained photos and music files. The photos were not pertinent to the investigation and the music included parts of the Harry Potter movies’ soundtracks.

So no proof of a Harry Potter DVD or movie file was documented. No authority in the case has said he was watching a movie. I think we can safely say he wasn't watching a movie.

Let me repeat

No Harry Potter movie file was found on the hard drive of the device

The micro SD memory card contained photos and music files. The photos were not pertinent to the investigation and the music included parts of the Harry Potter movies’ soundtracks.

So no proof of a Harry Potter DVD or movie file was documented. No authority in the case has said he was watching a movie. I think we can safely say he wasn't watching a movie.

All the joking about alternative facts aside, I think voting in such instances is simply a reflection of the elusiveness of the facts. The real world actually is quite ambiguous, no matter the present-day tendency of gravitating towards black and white.

We don't always know, even after a best effort, so differences of view and interpretation remain. As a board (like a court) needs to reach a conclusion, I can see them voting in case such differences remain.
I think that you are missing the point, the board is an investigative board, they are charged with finding the facts of an incident, facts are not voted on they are reported on.

I think that you are missing the point, the board is an investigative board, they are charged with finding the facts of an incident, facts are not voted on they are reported on.

I don't think I am.

Sometimes (most of the time?) what we've got are observations and they may be limited. Determining facts can thus lead to disagreements over whose observation is considered the closest to fact... Even science, after all, is constantly reinventing itself as our observations get better and better... But a finding of a board or a jury doesn't have the luxury of keep going and going, so at some point they'll make a determination, and that determination may require voting. No?

It is interesting how long it took to get to this point. I wonder how many schools could have been built with the money.

Car runs broadside into an object blocking the road in good weather during daylight hours. No evidence of the car taking evasive action or braking. Car was exceeding posted speed by 12%.

Truck driver failed to yield. Likely that the driver misjudged the oncoming car's closing rate when he began his turn due to the influence of marijuana. However, the distance and speeds involved allowed adequate time for the oncoming car to take evasive action.

Both drivers were to blame, however, one driver certainly was not paying attention to the roadway or traffic. While both drivers could have been ignoring traffic, the collision itself was the oncoming car hitting the truck even though there was adequate reaction time available.

The scenario is a "what if" kind. If the truck broke or dropped out of gear during the turn, would the accident have happened? Yes. If the oncoming driver was watching the road, would there be a collision? No.

Last edited:
How? Do you think anybody who thinks it's OK to drive with a blindfold on is going to really care about the NHTSA or traffic laws or the opinions of other motorists?

But that's the point of a comprehensive investigation -- uncovering nuances and root causes that are not at all obvious from a cursory examination of the available evidence.

The NTSB was responsible for discovering a highly unusual failure mode of the Boeing 737 rudder hydraulic servo valve assembly that ended up being the root cause of three commercial aircraft incidents (Eastwind Airlines 517 - no fatalities, United Airlines 585 - 25 fatalities, USAir 427 - 132 fatalities). How many other fatalities would have occurred without this root cause discovery?

Reactions: bhzmark
But that's the point of a comprehensive investigation -- uncovering nuances and root causes that are not at all obvious from a cursory examination of the available evidence.

The NTSB was responsible for discovering a highly unusual failure mode of the Boeing 737 rudder hydraulic servo valve assembly that ended up being the root cause of three commercial aircraft incidents (Eastwind Airlines 517 - no fatalities, United Airlines 585 - 25 fatalities, USAir 427 - 132 fatalities). How many other fatalities would have occurred without this root cause discovery?

Perhaps if all three were CFIT you'd have a point. :D

Hardware failure that overrides the control redundancies isn't the same as setting your altimeter wrong and "almost" clearing a mountain.

The driver set his car to "drive itself into a mountain".

did they vote on their findings or did they make their findings known and get the manufacturer and airlines to correct the defects that were found?