Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fatal Flaw with Text Support (2019.40.50.1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to successfully set up text message support with the new software release (2019.40.50.1) working with my Android phone using Android Messages. However, I have turned the feature off due to what I consider to be a fatal flaw. There are several concerns I have with the text messaging interface listed in order of increasing severity.

First, I was able to send and receive SMS text messages successfully. So far so good.
However, the user interface requires way too much tapping on the screen to be considered hands free.
After receiving several texts - it was not possible to scroll to the text I wanted to re-read, but needed to touch the text message on the screen to have the car re-read the text.

Second, the car reads and displays the header and footer information associated with an RCS text message when receiving an RCS messaging format text message.

Here is just one little bit of what was displayed and read to me when I received that text.
=_8da2e63c-8241-444f-ac1f-ab8b0b37adc4 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8BIT

Third, once the car starts reading a text, you can't stop it. It just keeps reading the text - on and on. One can imagine several reasons why you would want to stop listening to a text message, including this RCS example.

Fourth, the final disastrous failure that forced me to turn the system off. I received a very long text message, which the system read to the end - but when I looked for that message on the phone it had been deleted - along with every other text message ever sent by that person to me and every text message I had ever sent to that person. All gone.

Google tells me that if I want to restore the text messages from the backup I have stored on Google Drive - I will have to do a factory reset on the phone.

The Tesla text reading system clearly needs a lot of work before I will consider it ready for prime time.

Attachments

• RCS Text Message Received.png
    RCS Text Message Received.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Yes, same here. I also assumed it was due to RCS. Short messages were read allowed as a very long string of gibberish.
I'm glad they're trying to bring new features like this, it just needs further updates. None of my texts were deleted, but I guess I'll turn the feature back off for now as it's not helping me anyway.

I am getting this too with RCS enabled. Will try later today with RCS(Chat Features) disabled and see if it works any better.

Either way, I guess this is progress although I'd like to see WhatsApp support.

Update: Confirmed that with RCS(Chat Features) off it works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrfeb14
Yeah, it's not very good. My complaints:

1. It doesn't mute whatever audio you're on at the moment. Errr, what?
2. If you get two texts in a row, it generally won't let you click on the second one.
3. Often time hangs on the screen of text and won't clear out until you bring up another type of screen (music, settings, etc.)
4. Dictating a multiple sentence text, often times after the first "period" it assumes I'm done because I give a natural pause to breathe and stops dictating.

It's better than nothing. But it's no Apple Car Play.

Second, the car reads and displays the header and footer information associated with an RCS text message when receiving an RCS messaging format text message.

Fourth, the final disastrous failure that forced me to turn the system off. I received a very long text message, which the system read to the end - but when I looked for that message on the phone it had been deleted - along with every other text message ever sent by that person to me and every text message I had ever sent to that person. All gone.

Google tells me that if I want to restore the text messages from the backup I have stored on Google Drive - I will have to do a factory reset on the phone.

A lot (if not all) of this sounds like bugs/issues in the Android implementation of RCS and/or Bluetooth SMS notification handling

I was able to successfully set up text message support with the new software release (2019.40.50.1) working with my Android phone using Android Messages. However, I have turned the feature off due to what I consider to be a fatal flaw. There are several concerns I have with the text messaging interface listed in order of increasing severity.

First, I was able to send and receive SMS text messages successfully. So far so good.
However, the user interface requires way too much tapping on the screen to be considered hands free.
After receiving several texts - it was not possible to scroll to the text I wanted to re-read, but needed to touch the text message on the screen to have the car re-read the text.

Here is just one little bit of what was displayed and read to me when I received that text.
=_8da2e63c-8241-444f-ac1f-ab8b0b37adc4 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8BIT

Third, once the car starts reading a text, you can't stop it. It just keeps reading the text - on and on. One can imagine several reasons why you would want to stop listening to a text message, including this RCS example.

The Tesla text reading system clearly needs a lot of work before I will consider it ready for prime time.

The fourth item on my list has now been resolved.
All of the text messages for all but the one really long text message read by the car have returned to my phone.
Not sure why that one text message disappeared.

So I would not call it a fatal flaw anymore.

Same issue here, unfortunately there's no easy way to report such annoying software issues to Tesla aside from speaking-up in forums.

1. Issue happens for my Pixel 4 where RCS message are read as mangled URLs and there's no Favorites in the Phone Dialer.
2. Works fine using my Wife's Samsung S10 and my Son's iPhone-X (including when RCS is enabled in Messages) and Favorites show-up.

So seems like it's specific to Pixel phones for some reason, I hope this gets Google / Tesla attention; it's a shame that the reference implementation phone has such bug, likely Tesla didn't test with Pixel Phones.

Anyone still getting the =_8da2e63c-8241-444f-ac1f-ab8b0b37adc4 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8BIT when using RCS on a Pixel?

I turned off RCS but noticed there have been a few Messenger updates and will try turning it on again.

It works perfect on the phone OS Tesla cares about ;)

They will never finish debugging Android because every vender ****s with the OS and every version of Android is different. It’s an absolute joke. I develop on mobile platforms and we lose money on Android because of all the extra testing it requires.

When I receive a text from a telephone number that I do not have entered as a contact, the system will read the telephone number out as a number. For example, if I receive a text message from 2125551212, instead of hearing "two, one, two, five, five, five, one, two, one, two", I will hear "two billion, one hundred twenty five million, five hundred fifty one thousand, two hundred twelve."

2019 Model S Raven

My car tells me I have a message, can read it to me but when I look on my phone it was a message I received LONG ago.

Imagine getting out of context messages at random. Has happened with multiple contacts.

This is very alarming when it happens.