Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fatigue vs gas cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MS for over 3 years and 50k miles. Like others, I've noticed how much less fatigued I am at the end of a long trip. Today I drove from Phoenix to San Diego, but did it in a virtually new gas car, so it was an interesting comparison. I was noticeably more tired at the end, even considering I shared the driving.

However, it got me thinking -- how much does the air suspension play a role? I drove an Infiniti QX70 today, using cruise control much of the way, and it is probably very good in terms of noise/vibration. However, it does have a coil suspension.

Thoughts?

The thing that I think helps the best is the Supercharger stops. Gives us a great chance to get out and stretch, get something to eat and just take a break from driving. Overall, travel time is longer, but I do arrived less fatigued. Another benefit is reduced wind noise.

We drove from Central Oregon to central Utah over Christmas, and I actually slept for an hour at one of our stops. It definitely helped out, as the weather wasn't great, exceptionally cold (-17 degrees!) and the wildlife on the rural highways was delighting in playing chicken with us. That frazzled me more, the constant worry of hitting some suicidal bunny take out one of our front heat exchangers and having the car shut itself off in the middle of frozen nowhere!

I've had my MS for over 3 years and 50k miles. Like others, I've noticed how much less fatigued I am at the end of a long trip. Today I drove from Phoenix to San Diego, but did it in a virtually new gas car, so it was an interesting comparison. I was noticeably more tired at the end, even considering I shared the driving.

However, it got me thinking -- how much does the air suspension play a role? I drove an Infiniti QX70 today, using cruise control much of the way, and it is probably very good in terms of noise/vibration. However, it does have a coil suspension.

Thoughts?
I think not so much. I think it's just a smoother experience attributable to less ICE drama. There is none of the ICE vibration, shifting, revving while passing, etc. It's just a smoother experience. My wife called it a "magic carpet" which I think is pretty accurate (without the opiates if you're familiar with the origin of the "magic carpet").

However, I think the Buick loaner I got at the SC a few weeks ago had less wind noise than the MS. Tesla does need to reduce the wind noise which I think is mostly narrowing the manufacturing tolerances. That would further enhance the cruising experience.

And then the AP is definitely a stress reducer. Being totally observant and "ready" while the AP is steering, is less stressful than actually steering and manipulating the go/don't go pedals.

The lack of engine noise definitely helps. My 97 Viper was glorious to drive on short trips but the loud noise and heat made it exhausting on long trips. The road/wind noise as high speed is fairly high in my Tesla. On the same stretch of road at the same speed and using a iPhone to compare, my Tesla is louder than my 93 Chevy 4x4 pickup in neutral. Under acceleration with headers and catback exhaust, the truck is much louder.

The lack of engine noise definitely helps. My 97 Viper was glorious to drive on short trips but the loud noise and heat made it exhausting on long trips. The road/wind noise as high speed is fairly high in my Tesla. On the same stretch of road at the same speed and using a iPhone to compare, my Tesla is louder than my 93 Chevy 4x4 pickup in neutral. Under acceleration with headers and catback exhaust, the truck is much louder.
I think the MS definitely has a wind noise problem. I noticed that Buick loaner I got from the SC during a recent service had less wind noise than the MS.