Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faults: HVAC cable fault; ESS Cable Interlock fault; Vess too low during precharge, t2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so service center claims that my intermittent shutdowns are due to the battery being out of balance and requiring a replacement at $17k. They said 6 out of the 11 sheets are problematic. I pushed back and questioned why 1) the car would startup and drive normally after 15 min cool down; and 2) why it would still run fine, even with low range remaining.

I also raised the analogy of someone presents to emergency room for chest pain, EKG is performed and labs are drawn, some anomalous findings (which could be totally normal, but we’re not actually sure) and decision is to perform a heart transplant.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on whether I’m off base and if there are other steps we should consider. If battery replacement is required, I’ll probably drive the car home and wait for a 3.0 upgrade instead of getting the reconditioned 2.0.

They claimed 6 out of 11 sheets are bad. I have the logs, but I’m not savvy enough to know what to look for. My impression is that the members here are far more knowledgeable about the roadster than the people at TSC. If anyone wants to take a peak, it’s emailable. I’d be grateful for your thoughts.

They are full of sh**. The car will shut down when the lowest voltage brick reaches a min voltage and will not restart until charged. When a brick goes bad the range drops until the car won't move. It is not intermittent. The common loose rivet problem on the sheets is mainly for balancing. A quick check of the min and max voltages will tell you about the pack balance. The interlock fault you have is an open in the interlock circuit-and immediately shuts the car down for safety reasons. You need to find where the intermittent connection is. Sounds like you should find someone else to look at it.

The HVAC high voltage control module has three loops coming out out it. One goes through the compressor connector and would be a good place to start wiggling. Especially since this started on a hot day. One comes from the ESS. Can’t help much on the other loop. Two loops come out of the ESS. One to the PEM and the other to the HVAC.

• Informative
Reactions: ion_1 and Mark77a