Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faulty door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cheaper quote was for "temporary" repairs because they didn't have the parts. The more expensive quote was for the "permanent" repair.

Which annoys me that they were going to charge me $290 a door for the temporary repair, and then charge me $489.13 (front door only) for a permanent solution, and they didn't even bother to let me know before hand (it does explain why they scheduled two appointments though - but they didn't respond to my questions asking to explain why).

Good thing we rejected the repairs.

Our theory is that the "temporary" repair was replacing just the gear and the "permanent" repair was replacing the entire assembly.

I’ve had this happen twice before. Now my driver side door is faulty. I ordered the stainless steel paddle gears to fix the issue. What do you think of my temporary fix so I can open me driver side door? He he

Attachments

• A4C9F74B-0BCF-4B27-BD2B-5916EB8D540B.jpeg
    A4C9F74B-0BCF-4B27-BD2B-5916EB8D540B.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 101
Driver's side front handle just failed on my 2017 Model S which is still under warranty by about a month. I noticed some other suggestions on how to manage opening the door when the handle fails closed which sound iffy. At least on my version of the car if you push inwards on the door handle when the car is unlocked and the door handle is is the closed position the door will pop open about half an inch and you can open the door by gently pulling on the exposed edge or the glass.

I had a clonking noise in the driver's door handle on my 2016 single-camera S. Tesla mobile service replaced it under warranty and I got to see the old and new versions of the handle mechanism. It's a lot more than that $5 gear arm that has changed. I heard some time ago that they were $1200 each out of warranty, the service guy didn't know the exact cost but didn't bat an eyelid when I mentioned that figure. So $300 sounds cheap by comparison.

Agree that these things should not fail as often as they seem to do. I'm wondering about an after-market door handle that works like the one on the Model 3 (no motor, you tilt it out). Trouble is getting hold of an old one to play with - they wouldn't let me keep it.

I had a clonking noise in the driver's door handle on my 2016 single-camera S. Tesla mobile service replaced it under warranty and I got to see the old and new versions of the handle mechanism. It's a lot more than that $5 gear arm that has changed. I heard some time ago that they were $1200 each out of warranty, the service guy didn't know the exact cost but didn't bat an eyelid when I mentioned that figure. So $300 sounds cheap by comparison.

Agree that these things should not fail as often as they seem to do. I'm wondering about an after-market door handle that works like the one on the Model 3 (no motor, you tilt it out). Trouble is getting hold of an old one to play with - they wouldn't let me keep it.

having something like a doorhandle cost 1200 dollars to replace is imho a design flaw.
Same as the Model 3 lower rocker panel. Who thought it was a good idea to have a part which can get easily damaged by debris and sidewalks be a 10-15k USD part to replace. Model S did not have this either. On most other cars its a 100 USD plastic part which can be replaced in 5min.

Same as the Model 3 lower rocker panel. Who thought it was a good idea to have a part which can get easily damaged by debris and sidewalks be a 10-15k USD part to replace. Model S did not have this either. On most other cars its a 100 USD plastic part which can be replaced in 5min.
I had no idea what a “lower rocker panel” is so I did a google search. That search also revealed third party suppliers of same for $300 and DIY install videos.

I had an old one replaced with a new on a 2016 S. Plug and play. My new one had the new motor lever, but I didn't get a good enough look (or take a photo) to see if it had the updated sensor or not. Presumably there are several iterations between the old-old one and the new-new one.

Last edited:
Hmmm. In that case wonder if this was the "permanent solution" that I was offered in June last year. If only they could offer more details it might just be worth it.

When a company repeatedly stuffs up the design and tries to get the customer to pay for a fix, trying to say "this is a permanent solution" isn't particularly convincing.