Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faulty Frunk latch [aftermarket struts installed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My LWD M3 2020 has a problem with the frunk, it releases but does not open fully i can not access the frunk it won't release fully Telsa won't repair it under warranty as I replaced the struts so that it opens automatically anyone else had this problem? The Frunk did have the same problem intermittently prior to changing the struts however Telsa are refusing to repair the latch under warranty as they say the struts put additional weight on the latch causing it to fail?

Did you report the issue before you replaced the struts? If not, there’s no reason to expect Tesla to cover the issue under warranty.
Sadly I didn't report it although it was happening occasionally, my problem is that this seems to be a problem with not just the aftermarket struts but the OM versions and it's widely reported as such however Tesla UK absolutely deny any knowledge of this problem at all or any previous faults anywhere which is clearly not true! sadly for me, that means they acting dishonestly.

Sadly I didn't report it although it was happening occasionally, my problem is that this seems to be a problem with not just the aftermarket struts but the OM versions and it's widely reported as such however Tesla UK absolutely deny any knowledge of this problem at all or any previous faults anywhere which is clearly not true! sadly for me, that means they acting dishonestly.

So basically you are saying:

1. I had a problem with the frunk struts, but never told tesla anything about it
2. I replaced the struts with with aftermarket
3. I reported a problem with the frunk opening
4. Tesla says "aftermarket struts not our problem"

And you think that makes Tesla "acting dishonestly"?

Do I have that sequence correct? You are expecting them to break into your frunk, and not charge you anything for it, when you have an aftermarket strut kit there and they are dishonest for not doing so?

Reactions: Phyzi Driver
My LWD M3 2020 has a problem with the frunk, it releases but does not open fully i can not access the frunk it won't release fully Telsa won't repair it under warranty as I replaced the struts so that it opens automatically anyone else had this problem? The Frunk did have the same problem intermittently prior to changing the struts however Telsa are refusing to repair the latch under warranty as they say the struts put additional weight on the latch causing it to fail?
There are videos on how to open a stuck secondary latch on the Model 3:

As for getting it repaired under warranty, probably your best bet is to swap back the OEM struts and if the same problem occurs, then maybe you can make a warranty claim.
While it's possible you had a faulty latch in the first place, the aftermarket struts do put more pressure on the secondary latch (as unlike the OEM struts, it pushes the hood open automatically), so Tesla does have a point that could contribute it to failing more easily.