Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faux Leather Seat Bubbling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is certainly caused by Tesla using a seat cover material that is sensitive to certain products.
I wonder how long this "faux leather" (i.e. cheap) will hold up with 60C temperatures reached on sunny days. Not many years is my guess.

The link below is interesting.....

That is bloody awful :( I agree with all that has been said - on the headrest front, its sole purpose is contact with your head! There must be no special regime needed to maintain that, so it's not fit for purpose.

You appear to have mitigated every potential user failure mode, so keep at it. A car that new, driven so little should not be having that. This is a Trading Standards/Watchdog/Consumer Rights, Small Claims Court deal.

Some things in life don't warrant the hassle, but £1400 buys a lot of hassle!

Small claims court is probably your only recourse now. I don’t think another email/letter is going to do anything, they’ve already stated explicitly that this is their final decision at the end of their response.

Seat wear and tear, to me, and I believe a reasonable person, would amount to wear from use - i.e. wrinkles, creases, depressions, discolouration, etc. The material bubbling up like that is manifestly a defect. If it wasn’t, and was typical wear and tear, then it would be happening to practically everyone, including people who have done 10x the mileage.

I think you could convince a district judge that this is a defect, and that if they are arguing that it is typical wear and tear that it is not fit for purpose.

If it were me I’d be drafting a letter before action, to send to their West Drayton HQ, before following it up with an online money claim.

I have written back to them (see below) in part as I want to raise this as a formal complaint... I also spoke to a legal helpline that comes with my house insurance... they advised that, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the burden of proof lies with the Consumer after owning something for 6 months... So I think I would need an independent expert to state that this is a defect and not normal wear and tear... Does anyone know who I might be able to have look at this and provide written testimony that in their expert opinion this is a defect? Ideally someone in the NW London area, or who could provide the same remotely.... I need to make sure the cure is not worse than the disease in terms of costs etc. !

Hi,

I am afraid that this is not acceptable... I cannot see how this can possibly be deemed normal wear and tear. The seat has been used for its intended purpose and has not had any of the substances listed by the engineers applied to the seat. Neither have solvents been used on the seat (which is, as far as I am aware, the only warning given in the User Manual).

As you point out, the issue was not raised at the time of delivery as the defect only came to light after the recent heatwave we had. However, it seems clear to me that this was a defect inherent in the car seat at the time of delivery, and that it only came to light during the recent hot weather.

The vehicle has only been driven for 6,500 miles (less at the time the issue was raised). Furthermore, the use of the seat has been very much curtailed by the various Lockdowns (which means that the elapsed time since its purchase in March 2020 is not a good guide as to the seat's use / longevity).

The simple fact is that this cannot meet the requirements contained within the Consumer Rights Act 2015, namely that the seat should be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. It should be noted that a key aspect of "satisfactory quality" is the product's durability... and the standard to which this is held increases with the premium nature of the product. Given that Tesla is a premium brand, this means that the standard will be upheld to the highest levels.

Indeed, the fact that this issue does not seem overly common provides, to my mind, further proof that this must be a defect and cannot be normal wear and tear. Think about it for one moment: if this issue were a result of normal wear and tear then we would expect this issue to be far more common given that there will be many Teslas out there that have driven far further than me. The fact that it is not proves that this must be a defect. And it is precisely to cover defects such as this that the warranty exists.

I note that you have yet to send me the details of how to make a formal complaint as requested in my prior e-mail, and I again request that you do so as I would like to raise this matter as a formal complaint.

I would also state that I would be prepared to have this dispute resolved via the Motor Ombudsman, although I was surprised and disappointed to find that Tesla is not a member.

Best regards,

I have written back to them (see below) in part as I want to raise this as a formal complaint... I also spoke to a legal helpline that comes with my house insurance... they advised that, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the burden of proof lies with the Consumer after owning something for 6 months... So I think I would need an independent expert to state that this is a defect and not normal wear and tear... Does anyone know who I might be able to have look at this and provide written testimony that in their expert opinion this is a defect? Ideally someone in the NW London area, or who could provide the same remotely.... I need to make sure the cure is not worse than the disease in terms of costs etc. !
Might be worth looking for a car upholsterer. If they can't analyse the problem, they may be able to at least give you a quote for a repair.

The implication from Teslas' response is that this might reasonably be expected as a result of 'wear and tear' so we should all be following this closely in preparation for the same inevitably happening to our seats. To me that seems like a logical conclusion from their answer.

"Although we understand your frustrations we can confirm as this is not a defect reported from delivery (March 10th 2020) we would deem this as wear and tear or damage of which we would be unable to perform rectification under warranty".

Reactions: Durzel
I don't know, if lotions or hand cream would damage a car seat then its not fit for purpose, that's the end of story and even if so... what's the last time that anyone had put lotion or left chlorine on their trousers, that's just nonsense. The only sensible thing I could think of is if anti bac saniteriser has dripped onto the seats in warm weather but that's something you'd probably remember happening

The implication from Teslas' response is that this might reasonably be expected as a result of 'wear and tear' so we should all be following this closely in preparation for the same inevitably happening to our seats. To me that seems like a logical conclusion from their answer.

"Although we understand your frustrations we can confirm as this is not a defect reported from delivery (March 10th 2020) we would deem this as wear and tear or damage of which we would be unable to perform rectification under warranty".
I'm planning to avoid allowing Gidster99 in my car.

Just a thought as to whether this sort of damage could be sunlight somehow focussed onto a spot on the seat? I’m not sure what would act as the necessary lens but I’m sure we all know that it is possible to set fire to things with a lens and the sun. Getting a plastic seat to bubble would be child’s play (hopefully not literally!) with a suitable lens on a sunny day. Perhaps leaving a pair of spectacles on the seat or the dash might do it?

Just a thought as to whether this sort of damage could be sunlight somehow focussed onto a spot on the seat? I’m not sure what would act as the necessary lens but I’m sure we all know that it is possible to set fire to things with a lens and the sun. Getting a plastic seat to bubble would be child’s play (hopefully not literally!) with a suitable lens on a sunny day. Perhaps leaving a pair of spectacles on the seat or the dash might do it?
I get that people leave things on the passenger seat, but how often do you leave things on the driver's seat?

I get that people leave things on the passenger seat, but how often do you leave things on the driver's seat?
Easy scenario. I do that quite a lot - walk to car with a few shopping items - open door and pop small shopping on seat while I remove wallet from back pocket and toss in centre console, remove face mask and adjust clothing etc - pick up shopping as I slide into seat and move it to passenger side.
I don't buy leaky, greasy curries but...

Is this common, has anybody else’s seat done the same?? Just gauging likelihood of this becoming a common problem??
I don’t think it’s common, but I’ve seen at least 3 threads on here (including this one) about it.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t now a bit concerned about what on Earth caused this, especially given Tesla’s reaction that this is basically wear and tear as far as they’re concerned.

Easy scenario. I do that quite a lot - walk to car with a few shopping items - open door and pop small shopping on seat while I remove wallet from back pocket and toss in centre console, remove face mask and adjust clothing etc - pick up shopping as I slide into seat and move it to passenger side.
I don't buy leaky, greasy curries but...
So you don't leave anything on the drivers seat for more than a very short time? Pretty sure the sun wouldn't melt the seat in that time and even if you put a leaky greasy curry on the drivers seat (you don't deserve a nice car if you do this :)) you'd be aware of if pretty quickly.