Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faux Leather Seat Bubbling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point was that folk do put stuff on drivers seats. Things do leak and no, not everyone will notice immediately and the damage may be started. Whilst obviously the OP is an honest and careful owner there would be folk who aren't when damage occurs. It's a scenario amongst many such as your new high-power hand lens that you bought for grandma's failing eyesight.
I have said before there are 3 sides to every argument: yours, mine and the truth. If it was a common occurrence we'd hear a lot more cases.

My Tesla M3 (LR DM P +PUp) seat bubbling has gotten so bad it just disintegrated. I had a buzz cut during the time it began, so I know Tesla’s claim that it’s due to hair products is their way of weaseling out of fixing the issue.

I’ve run into the same behavior from the company any time my car has had an issue of any sort (which, tbh…there haven’t been many). I like my car, but LOATHE the company and how it’s run.

I paid 15k for “performance” and another 5k for the “performance upgrade package”. Unbeknownst to me, the upgrade package had been eliminated & included for free in the regular “performance” package even before I took delivery of my car. I know 2 other people who got refunds for that $5k. Tesla refuses to give me the same refund — despite Elon himself tweeting about how he WOULD refund that money to people who got suckered into paying it.

Been waiting 2 years for a [long approved] windshield replacement.

Various other issues. No matter the size or importance of the issue, Tesla, in my experience, wants to squirm out of it.

I’m so over this company.
4B6DC37E-F169-44CF-BFDE-0134DD6EB5B8.jpeg

Attachments

• 57CA1E9B-45A9-48B0-A44F-FC258145761D.jpeg
    57CA1E9B-45A9-48B0-A44F-FC258145761D.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 43
It seems clear to me that the material used by Tesla is less durable than leather. I’m surprised that there aren’t more complaints tbh.
definitely but yet the damage is rare and almost always on the headrest. that one off on the seat base is probably something spilled. . Seems there are two types of drivers some who never put their head on the head rest and some who use it as part of their default seating position. in this latter group particularly men their seems to be this occasional issue. Not sure if its heat, abrasion, sweat, chemicals or a combination of all 3. It does suck though.

Reactions: Durzel
It seems clear to me that the material used by Tesla is less durable than leather. I’m surprised that there aren’t more complaints tbh.
These issues seem pretty rare, and I'm sure with leather seats there are also occasional issues, google shows my images of cracked leather from pretty much every brand of car after very short amounts of time.

Reactions: M109Rider
These issues seem pretty rare, and I'm sure with leather seats there are also occasional issues, google shows my images of cracked leather from pretty much every brand of car after very short amounts of time.
It does but for the people it happens to who seem to have don't nothing wrong apart from actually using the headrest as a headrest it must really suck. Especially since Tesla wont accept it is a fault and fix it FoC.

definitely but yet the damage is rare and almost always on the headrest. that one off on the seat base is probably something spilled. . Seems there are two types of drivers some who never put their head on the head rest and some who use it as part of their default seating position. in this latter group particularly men their seems to be this occasional issue. Not sure if its heat, abrasion, sweat, chemicals or a combination of all 3. It does suck though.
It hadn't occured to me until this post that I don't think I actually rest my head on the headrest. I guess that's a sign of a badly adjusted seat?

Tesla headrests aren't adjustable. The only way to have one's head resting on them is with a very straight-up seat. Any amount of rake for personal comfort tends to prevent contact.
Tesla antimacassar?

There's a Youtube video showing how to remove the head restraints (surprisingly they are removeable) and how to alter the angle (requires tools, not a built in feature!) A quick search on YT is sure to bring it up.

My crochet skills are not quite up to antimaccassar standard!

Reactions: pgkevet
I am really upset, and wanted to get a sense from the community around whether this is a widespread issue and whether Tesla's response is acceptable.

In essence, after the really hot weather several weeks ago, I noticed a bubble in the drivers seat, right in the middle... I booked an appointment with Tesla Service for today (I figured waiting wouldn't really hurt, and my better half had offered to take it in and wait - an offer too good to refuse!)

Anyway, they phoned me today to tell me that, although they have the seat ready to install, the engineers believe the fault is mine, and so they won't cover it under warranty - to pay for it myself is well north of £1,400.

This was their exact response:

Does this seem a reasonable response? Bear in mind that - to my knowledge - no lotions or sunscreen, hair spray (on my bum???!!!???) etc. has been applied to the centre of the drivers seat. Or anywhere in the car. In fact, the only thing that has been applied to any of the interiors is a slightly damp micro-fibre cloth.

The service person did ask their manager if this could be dealt with, but the manager confirmed not.

I have written in to Customer Services... not sure what will come of that.

But interested to hear if others have experienced the same / similar and what response they got / what they did about it.

View attachment 688348
I had an issue with the passenger seat cover which began to ripple. Tesla replaced the cover (rather the the whole seat) under warrenty with no argument. Hope you get a similar outcome

• Informative