Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite and least favorite supercharger locations ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My least favorite has to be Folsom, Ca. I plugged in to this 4 stall location. There were 2 cars. My car said it would take 2 hrs. It took 2.5 hrs. I started charge at 60 miles charging to 90%. I used it again another day a few weeks later. 4 stalls and I was the 3 cars ( i made the 4th). Car said 4 hrs!!! I moved over one spot. It changed to 1.5 hrs. Started charge at 100 miles and charge to 90%.

My favorite is The Galleria in Roseville, Ca with 7 chargers. They have legit complimentary valet for Tesla! I have never used it but very nice. Location to the mall and other places to eat are very convenient. All of these charge at the normal rate. I am always out before an hour no matter what % I start at. I rarely have to wait. Small thing I have to say...once in a while 1 or more of those chargers are non operational. I just move to the next space and call it in.

Favorite SC- Redondo Beach CA! It's at a Hilton garden inn, the restrooms were spotless, plus wifi and a nice lounge to hangout in. I just loved it on our trip to San Diego.

Least favorite- San Diego CA, it's located in an area where you have quite a walk to the nearest restroom or food joint.
No Bueno when traveling with my gf.
Edit: I should note, I was at the San Diego SC on the weekend when Qualcomm was closed.

I agree that the San Diego Supercharger is terrible. It's also far from a freeway exit/entrance. I've only been there once on a weekend, and that area was a ghost town.

I think the Superchargers I like tend to have some things in common:

* It should have plenty of stalls, and it shouldn't be too crowded -- let's face it, nothing is worse than getting to the Supercharger to find that they're all taken, and that you'll need to wait.
* It should have walkable amenities.
* Food and/or Shopping.

1 point each for safety, night access, walkability, restrooms, restaurants, wifi, stall availability, shopping, other attractions.
and 1 point because it's a Supercharger. ;)

Here are the ones I've visited so far (all in California)

Mountain View: This one is located at the Computer History Museum. I've only been here at night, and it was raining so I didn't get to step out. I'm familiar with the area, but the problem here seems to be local charging and high Tesla density. Even at midnight in the pouring rain, there were probably 8 or 9 vehicles there. They have lots of chargers. I only did a short range charge here. 7/10.

Gilroy: Outlet Mall. Lots of chargers here, and also some other EV charging types. There's also an In-N-Out here too. Good walkability. Good shopping. Just wished that they had more food choices. Had to do a longer charge here. 8/10

Buellton: Santa Ynez Marriott. I usually only need to do a short charge here, but The Marriott is pleasant. They have wifi, and a bar/restaurant. I wish there was more to do within walking distance. 7/10

Atascadero: At Rabobank. Usually after driving down from Gilroy, I'm ready for a break. I always plan on taking a short charge here, but I always end up taking longer charging than I thought. Walk and explore the area --

Oxnard: located in a outdoor mall. Plenty of places to eat and shop at. Not sure what it's like when the mall is closed. 7/10

Culver City: At Westfield. There's the mall, but when it's closed, there's not too much around. I stopped here just to check it out and gauge stall availability. Lots of chargers here, and lots of cars charging. Probably one of the bigger Superchargers I've seen. 7/10.

Redondo Beach: Hilton Garden Inn. I like this Supercharger location a lot -- as previously mentioned, their bathrooms are nice, there's wifi, and a lounge, and a bar and restaurant. It's walkable to an In-N-Out too. (by the time I get to In-N-Out, order, and then eat, I usually get the charge is nearing completion message). Stalls are often crowded, but never full. 8/10

Hawthorne: Tesla/SpaceX. Lots of Chargers, not easy to find, and you need to snake through a (sometimes security guarded) road. There's no restaurants or or shopping nearby, however. It's neat to go there once just to see, but this one is one that I often skip. 6/10

Fountain Valley: At Petsmart/Costco Plaza. I really want to like this Supercharger, but I just can't. This Supercharger takes some of the pressure off of SJC, but it's also heavily used by locals -- in one sense, it's a good location because there's some stuff that's walkable, there's food, restrooms. But there's two additional hazards here: shopping carts and Costco shoppers. Skip it for travel charging unless you absolutely need it, because the LA superchargers are usually less crowded. 6/10

San Juan Capistrano: I'm really not a fan, and fortunate enough that I don't often need to stop at this location. There's lots to eat and see here. The problems are always congested stalls, which results in needing to wait to charge. I'm also not sure where the bathrooms are if the restaurants are closed. 5/10.

San Diego: Qualcomm. I don't like this location because there's nothing really to do here while waiting to charge. 6/10

Reactions: AMPd
Just got back from a trip between home and Alabama.

Hard to nail down a specific favorite. Greenville was my least favorite for sure.

I'm so glad we finally have a Supercharger in Greenville but, my mild traffic accident notwithstanding, it's in a sorta boring area.

Glen Allen, Burlington, Charlotte, and Atlanta (Atlantic Station) all have lots to do and/or eat but I just kinda sat in my car and chatted on IRC in Greenville (both directions).

South Hill really only has the Kahill's restaurant, but that still ranks above Greenville for me because we used to stop there (the old location) for a meal when I was growing up and I find it neat that now I get to stop there again on my travels (plus the staff and owner are very nice and the food/drink is pretty good to boot!).

Edit: Wandering comma

After reading through these posts, I just want to point out the obvious.

Tesla would like exactly what you all would like. They have teams working on locating superchargers in just the right places with fun things to do and great food nearby. But the dingaling property owners that happen to be along freeways every hundred thirty or so miles just WILL not cooperate. So, in Quartzsite, you are parked out on the far end of the lot in the desert, a hundred yards or so behind Carl's. Over at Needles, you get to park under the hundred foot tall freeway Shell gasoline sign and walk around through the service station. And that great location you would have preferred, a block from where the chargers are, well, Tesla couldn't swing the deal. They liked that spot, too.

Speaking of Shasta, I walked over to Taco Bell and got the worst burrito I've ever had, but, as always, YMMV. Your Mileage May Vary.

Tesla goes through hundreds of locations that they consider might be good, only to find owners who do not want electric vehicles charging on their property, or feel they cannot give up four or eight parking places. This, even though Tesla pays them on a lease basis for the use, on top of supplying the charging equipment and paying for the installation and the power.

Personally, charging takes such a small amount of my time that I can do an in car search for my favorite types of restaurant that might be on my way down the road. There's usually a restroom available, and the car is nearly always ready when I am.

And NO one other than Tesla is doing anywhere near the job on getting a superb network for long distance charging. NO one. Thanks, Tesla.

Reactions: Boatguy
Interesting idea for a thread.

I guess my favorite is Twin Falls ID because of the Snake River Canyon Overlook. Since it is an overnight stop for me the other amenities aren't important but there is shopping, restaurants, and lodging, albeit a fair walk away.

I also like Grand Junction CO because it is at a mall with a lot of eating choices and shopping. No parking or ICEing issues since the mall parking lot never fills.

I like Green River UT, at the John Wesley Powell museum, because it has a lovely park-like location right on the river, with restrooms and free WiFi. (But two of the four Superchargers were down last week; I reported it.)

I like Beaver UT because it is so close to I-15 and really easy to find and get to; it also has a convenience store/DQ with very nice restrooms. Only one actual sit-down restaurant however, for those who care about such things.

I like Salt Lake City because the Tesla Service Center has a comfortable waiting room, restrooms, WiFi, and even some snacks.

I like Moab UT because it is right downtown with lots of places to eat and shops to visit and is about ten minutes walk to a supermarket.

I don't like Denver, because it is at a hotel and there are no amenities and nothing else nearby. I suppose you could ask at the hotel to use their restrooms, although I haven't tried to do that. From the perspective of not encouraging locals to crowd the Superchargers, Denver is near ideal, however: it is not near anything!

In general, I don't like Superchargers at hotels unless there is shopping or eating nearby. The most important amenity for me is easy-to-find restrooms. I also would like them near grocery stores — Moab is the only one I've found so far — so I can shop for things to take with me on the road, which I always prefer to restaurants. Stores, especially large ones or convenience stores, have restrooms, so that's a plus. In Boise ID the Supercharger Station is at a hotel so I walk over to the huge Lowes store for restrooms.

Reactions: ModelX
Mountain View: This one is located at the Computer History Museum. I've only been here at night, and it was raining so I didn't get to step out. I'm familiar with the area, but the problem here seems to be local charging and high Tesla density. Even at midnight in the pouring rain, there were probably 8 or 9 vehicles there. They have lots of chargers. I only did a short range charge here. 7/10.
I agree Mountain View may be the most crowded supercharger anywhere. But it's worth pointing out that if you DO get a spot, there is a Starbucks, Quiznos, 7-11, and a little italian restaurant just steps away. Also - a movie theater in easy walking distance. Might be nice if you've got a long charge.

To me it's all about the 24/7 Lounge access that they have at Monterey-Seaside. It's also a great place to be if you happen to have a nail in your tire right before thanksgiving weekend, and you desperately need to find a tire shop. :)

My least favorite is any supercharger at an Outlet mall on Black friday. Of course they tend to be pretty cool superchargers when it's not black friday.

To me it's all about the 24/7 Lounge access that they have at Monterey-Seaside. It's also a great place to be if you happen to have a nail in your tire right before thanksgiving weekend, and you desperately need to find a tire shop. :)

My least favorite is any supercharger at an Outlet mall on Black friday. Of course they tend to be pretty cool superchargers when it's not black friday.
Oops, I forgot about Cincinnati-Blue Ash. They were one of the first with 24/7 lounge access. It makes a very relaxing time to charge. There is nothing else in the area, so the lounge is doubly nice.