Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite and least favorite supercharger locations ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting idea for a thread.

I don't like Denver, because it is at a hotel and there are no amenities and nothing else nearby. I suppose you could ask at the hotel to use their restrooms, although I haven't tried to do that.

Most hotels have a restroom in the common area. If they host a supercharger, or even if they don't, I don't see any reason for you to ask, just use. The Huntsville, TX supercharger in in the parking lot of a Holiday Inn Express and I just walked in and used the facilities. No one stopped me or even noticed. Now, it is always nice to do business with the host if you can, but it is not always convenient. If you do, make sure to mention that you are there because of the supercharger and thank them for hosting. I have read about places that provide discounts or other perks to Tesla owners that stop there. The Colin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX is a good example.

Only done East Coast from Potomac Mills down to St. Augustine and Orlando so my frame of reference isn't great...

Best of the bunch: I might have to say the new Janaf charger in Norfolk, VA. Variety of things to do but the shopping center is the definition of run-down. Glen Allen is my hometown charger so I don't count it. It's nice though.

2nd place might be Orlando since it's in the parking lot of a mega gas station/convenience store, but you have to pay a toll to get there.

Worst? Gosh, there are a few unfavorable ones. While I get the hatred of the St. Augustine food court, the rest of the shopping is good. And we were there the day after Black Friday. Mall security had the SC parking spaces coned-off and had a person there protecting the spaces from getting ICE'd. Wife loved that since the lot was otherwise full.

South Hill has Kahill's but nothing else, but the restaurant is good. So they don't meet the qualifications.

Santee, SC has the hotel with a decent restaurant. But sleeping in that hotel sucks.

Savannah airport has airport food which sucks. But a wide open gravel parking lot that lets your kids stretch their legs if you brought a football or baseball.

Plymouth, NC and the other NC location (skips my mind) both have crappy options for food. I'm going with them. If you don't like a chain steakhouse (I don't eat beef) with literally nothing else to do these are the worst.

With almost a half million M3's on reservation Tesla will have to seriously blow out its SC network even though it says it will charge M3 users for them. I look forward to increased options in the next few years...

In no particular order, I have liked Mt. Shasta City, Rancho Cucamonga, Cabazon, Barstow (when Chili's is open), Truckee #2, Lone Pine(!), Atascadero.

Not so much: Las Vegas, Needles, Kingman, Mojave, Quartzsite, Grants Pass, Woodburn, Normal, San Juan Capistrano.

That said, I am extremely grateful to Tesla for their master plan. It must be quite frustrating to be the team that tries to secure decent locations and negotiate with property owners, business owners and the governmental agencies.

Interesting idea for a thread.

I don't like Denver, because it is at a hotel and there are no amenities and nothing else nearby. I suppose you could ask at the hotel to use their restrooms, although I haven't tried to do that. From the perspective of not encouraging locals to crowd the Superchargers, Denver is near ideal, however: it is not near anything!

Denver supercharger is not so bad. I have stopped by there a few times. Front desk folks are always nice. They have a small snack shop just behind the front desk and I have bought cookies, chips, ice cream etc for my kids plus used the restroom. When I stopped by this weekend to charge, I picked up a small pack of oreos. I went to the front desk to pay, lady at the front desk asked me if she could add it to my room. I replied with I was not staying at the hotel and was just charging my car. She immediately said cookies were on her. She offered bottle of water as well and asked me to help myself to coffee and restroom. I used the restroom and then had cookies and coffee in their breakfast area in comfort while my car charged. There was another Model S owner in the breakfast area waiting while his car charged. Someone from front desk walked over and offered him a bottle of water as well. There are a few restaurants just couple of blocks away - Uno, Outback Steakhouse, Pizza, Thai and Mexican food.

My favorite: Denton, TX: Even though it is not the easiest access from the highway, the restaurant and retail locations are very good, by far the best between Dallas and Denver.

Least favorite: Salina, KS in a Holiday Inn Express parking lot. WAY off of the beaten path from I70 and 135, a long walk to gas stations, truck stops, etc.

Reactions: Tree95
The best so far for me is the Buckeye, Arizona supercharger. It has Wendy's, Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr, a subway sandwich shop, Game Stop, Walmart, Pet Smart, Dunkin Donuts and more. I always return to the car with the car fully charged because there is so much to do.

The worst was the one in Las Vegas, Nevada - it is in a bad location and has 1 strange little eating place that did not interest me.
I agree Las Vegas is bad. isolated difficult to get in and out.

My favorite so far is Mount Shasta. Beautiful location, surprisingly good cellular service for where it is, several food places both slow and fast nearby, it's on the property of a nice hotel. I've become fond of the lounge there. My one complaint is that it's only 4 charge heads. On the Sunday after last Thanksgiving, there were a total of 6 Teslas there while I was inside, finishing my soda pop and watching the football game on TV. One had been waiting about 15 minutes. Sorry about that.

My least favorite is Vacaville, which I find to be an amazingly unpleasant place: crowded, boring, poorly laid out...when I was driving an ICE I'd go out of my way to avoid stopping there for fuel or toilet, and I hope Tesla makes that possible soon. The charger is in a place that requires waiting for several traffic lights both in and out and entering a parking lot through a non-obvious entry, and I find the directions from the in-car navigation to be misleading. While there are several places to eat nearby, all of them involve crossing a large, busy street on foot, with the nearest crosswalk several hundred yards away.

--Snortybartfast

I hit Ukiah this week for the first time. It's in a nice looking parking lot across the street from a park, and it seems nice on first glance.

But, this is the only SC I've ever been to where I took out my phone and pulled up the dialer screen ready to dial 911. And, I've been to some sketchy mall parking lots along I10 in the south before. Granted, if I ever were in the Las Vegas charger after dark, I'd have my phone out, too.

I was there about 6pm. The nearby park at Ukiah is full of homeless. The smell of pot was prevalent. There's no nearby toilet - even if I braved the park, I could see the restroom doors were blocked off and locked.

Two thumbs up for the previous post about Mt Shasta. My favorite out of the 96 SC's I've been to.

As a relatively new owner, I don't have a huge experience base to draw from, but the SuperCharger at the Hooksett NH plaza is very nicely done. First of all, there are twin supercharger banks -- one set on the southbound side and one on the northbound side. Second, there's a large variety of food and rest options at the plaza, as well as a gigantic New Hampshire State Liquor Store. Third, the location is close enough to be a comfortable walk to the main building but not so close that it's tempting for non-EV vehicles to park in. And finally, the superchargers are close enough to the perimeter barrier that cars on Route 3-A can back up to the barrier and get a Supercharged "sip".

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar