Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite options? I want a snowplow and a winch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could build racks on the upper portion of the bed to mount items to on the inside and outside of the bed. Keeping the center of the bed open.
00-6267-F-01-1135-3T_300x.jpg

Reactions: CyberlandBound
One of those little fine steering knobs I've seen on Ford pickups for backing up trailer loads.

Backing a regular sized boat trailer down the ramp is easy, but when you have to back down a super short trailer like a Jetski trailer they become very twitchy and the slightest steering adjustment sends them way of course. It would be nice to have a fine steering knob that would be maybe a 6:1 or 8:1 turn ratio for lock to lock.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoiseBruin
+1

One of those little fine steering knobs I've seen on Ford pickups for backing up trailer loads.

Backing a regular sized boat trailer down the ramp is easy, but when you have to back down a super short trailer like a Jetski trailer they become very twitchy and the slightest steering adjustment sends them way of course. It would be nice to have a fine steering knob that would be maybe a 6:1 or 8:1 turn ratio for lock to lock.

With electricity there are so many cool things you can do.
So what it needs the most is a high amp 120/240v outlet.
Then the aftermarket can do everything from there.

Rescue stranded EVs.
Barn Heater.
Arc Welder.
Lot lighting source.
Fork truck (and lift a car to change the tires with the on-board air compressor)

OH!! A "Personal Lift" that you can mount in the bed. Because the Tesla has the logic to drive by remote control, you can be up 15' in the air and move the truck around.

OK, so logically speaking it wouldn't be a PTO. It would be a PTO simulator that was separately controlled. But I would think it would be an electric motor - is there a reason it couldn't be? A dedicated electric motor for a PTO seems like it would be awesome.

Given all the different things different people might want to power as “PTO”, maybe the best option is to allow the high power inverter mentioned in the reveal to operate in all driving modes, and give 3rd parties a group of useful tied down spots right next to it.

The you can hook up a hydraulic pump, or an electric motor mechanical “takeoff” or hook a winch or snowblower to it.

Maybe even grant some control integration into the center screen by third parties for “PTO” accessories.

Reactions: ohmman
> There has been evidence of galvanic corrosion occurring with a hitch on a Model S here. [ohmman]

Besides the galvanic effects, what escalated this horror is the total encapsulation of the hitch by the rear plastic surround (fascia). When I made my custom ModelS hitch in 2014 I neglected to re-install the fascia which left the hitch and crossbar(s) exposed to free air circulation. Eventually in 2019 I had the cover put back in place so I am now starting my clock i.e. when will I have to remove fascia and disassemble everything to check for corrosion. What is working for my design, I hope, is that my steel receiver is totally attached to the middle of the aluminum crossbar so there should be little or no voltage differential building up. The T/L design has steel hitch going from aluminum plate on the passenger side all the way across to the plate on the driver's side. I don't actually have a clue here.

Ok, I think I'll cut 2 oval openings into the fascia on either side of my hitch so inspection can be made, oil* can be sprayed in, and a bit of ventilation can occur. Its the least I can do.

I wonder how the MXs with factory hitches have survived??

* anti-rust spray = 2 parts used hydraulic fluid + 1 part used 90 weight gear oil.
--

Instead of a snow plow on the Cybertruck I would love to see it on the ATV. Connect that to Autopilot and let me program it to do my chores for me.

I think the option of a winch would be ok but wouldn't it be more cost effective to use the drive train and provide an extremely high capacity winch motor as a standard feature? Maybe give an option of adding the hardware?

What about a power take-off (PTO) that could open up the door to a whole new level of Cybertruck utility?

Instead of a snow plow on the Cybertruck I would love to see it on the ATV. Connect that to Autopilot and let me program it to do my chores for me.

I think the option of a winch would be ok but wouldn't it be more cost effective to use the drive train and provide an extremely high capacity winch motor as a standard feature? Maybe give an option of adding the hardware?

What about a power take-off (PTO) that could open up the door to a whole new level of Cybertruck utility?

Trying to use the main drive motors while stationary requires adding a bunch of complexity and failure modes; I don’t think it’s justified.

What I’d like to see instead is a winch/snowplow *bay* as standard equipment - an area with heavy structural mounts and high power wiring run to it which can easily support a winch, a snowplow, a snowblower, or any other device needing a lot of power and strong mounts.

The front center location won’t be convenient for some applications, so having a second one in the rear somewhere would add utility - possibly near/in connection with the inverter promised for power tools.

Reactions: kayak1