Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favourite/handy voice commands that work [in the UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
I've noticed a few comments in other threads noting improvements in the success of using voice commands. The last few threads were mainly about voice commands not working etc. Are people now finding them generally useful? I must admit I had set aside their use but recently have found that they are working ok and can actually be useful. I have used voice control most recently for manual wiper settings and switching back to auto, for temperature changes of climate control, to pop up the odometer/trip mileage card and to show/hide the energy graph. I'm probably missing some that would be useful to me so I'm interested in what people are finding works for them. (Initially the actual choice of words for what you want does not immediately come to mind!)

I recently found the voice commands much improved. Until I used them in anger on a drive.

I cannot remember the exact details (I think it mis interpreted a command as a Nav destination even though I wasn't trying to navigate anywhere) but I ended up with the screen in such a cluttered state that I couldn't clear it down until I stopped briefly at a junction. I need to check to see if there is a 'clear screen' or similar command.

I was rather disapointed as I thought that Tesla had finally sorted it, but either road noise and/or LTE signal availability/quality conspired to confuse.

I recently found the voice commands much improved. Until I used them in anger on a drive.

I cannot remember the exact details (I think it mis interpreted a command as a Nav destination even though I wasn't trying to navigate anywhere) but I ended up with the screen in such a cluttered state that I couldn't clear it down until I stopped briefly at a junction. I need to check to see if there is a 'clear screen' or similar command.

I was rather disapointed as I thought that Tesla had finally sorted it, but either road noise and/or LTE signal availability/quality conspired to confuse.

Yes, it's heavily dependant on the quality of connectivity. I glance to see if I've got LTE before using them!

One I used recently is "fold mirrors" when on a narrow road ... there are also a few narrow roads near me where people happily swoop past each other at above 30mph leaving barely an inch between cars but unfortunately the Tesla won't fold it's mirrors above 30mph so you just have to squeeze your bum cheeks harder instead!

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Wind noise from an open window kicks voice control into touch.
I kept trying “I’m hot” to turn the heater down. Car heard “home“ every time and wanted to take me home on my outward journey.
Lucky Mrs D was on board and able to execute manual override. She did put my seat heater on full by accident though!

Does it understand proper English yet? Can stop saying "Karl XXXXX" every time I want to phone someone now?
Try renaming all contacts as Bud, Chuck, Sawyer, Herb, Madison, Liberty, Skye etc & any parents as Mom & Pop.

It'll work every time but be prepared for overexcited callers responding with "Awesome!" or "Stoked to hear from you"

Last edited:
I've found it quite good at general car commands, but it is terrible at UK place names and not very good at bands/musicians etc. Also "Play BBC Radio 2" never works. Or 1,3,4,5,6 for that matter.
I was talking to someone with Alexa about this yesterday, they said the same thing - they have to ask for "BBC Sounds, radio 2" as apparently everything is now grouped under BBC Sounds, not radio. Might be worth trying

Still doesn't recognize anything to do with wipers for me.. it just refuses to understand the word 'wipers' esp. when driving - the background rumble of the drive totally kills it. Parked in the drive if I talk *really* slowly I can do it but that's not really practical.

Place names.. forget it. Tried to navigate to the local tescos the other day and it set a route to Germany..

Still doesn't recognize anything to do with wipers for me.. it just refuses to understand the word 'wipers' esp. when driving - the background rumble of the drive totally kills it. Parked in the drive if I talk *really* slowly I can do it but that's not really practical.

These are the wiper commands. Haven't tried them myself, but it needs the word 'windshield' in 3 of the 4. Why it's not consistent I don't know.

Slow down windshield wipers
Speed up wipers
Turn off windshield wipers
Turn on windshield wipers