Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FBN’s Gerri Willis in a 2:09 minute segment about electric cars…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I`ve heard people talking about Fox News before, but I`ve never watched it until now. I wonder if she`s proud of her job, or if she`s secretly ashamed?

I believe they only care about ratings. The more outrageous things you say, the better the ratings are. Happiness is when the ratings are good enough you get to keep your job. These days news is just entertainment--no actual news value. It's unfortunate that the less educated believe this drivel.

I loved how the graphic said 1 million EVs by 2037 and she said 2067 (that's assuming of course they never sell more than they did this year which is an absurd assumption).
Yah, that was a bit off.

I think it was also a bit off to even include the Model S in the discussion at all. She was going off of 2011 numbers so, if anything, it should have included the Roadster.

It was an attack piece on the President. EV's were used as the club for the attack but they were just the subtext to the overall purpose. I guess Fox hasn't realized that Obama won and he's out in four years whether they attack him or not. Or they're just playing to their audience. Maybe it's time to sic Bob Lutz on them again.

I think it was also a bit off to even include the Model S in the discussion at all. She was going off of 2011 numbers so, if anything, it should have included the Roadster.

Starting with the misleading setup she went into incorrect data then sequed into pointless comparisons and finished with a clueless conclusion. Typical Fox.

Sales of electric cars by the way are leaping something like 100, 1000, 18,000 (2011) and 36,000 and next year will see 20,000 sold Teslas alone.

Starting with the misleading setup she went into incorrect data then sequed into pointless comparisons and finished with a clueless conclusion. Typical Fox.

Sales of electric cars by the way are leaping something like 100, 1000, 18,000 (2011) and 36,000 and next year will see 20,000 sold Teslas alone.

Be gentle. They have really been struggling with arithmetic. Let's not make fun of their attempts to do some sophisticated ciphering.

This could easily spun the other direction with 1800% increase in one year, or sales doubled in one year! 36,000 for 2012 sounds a little low too.

20K Volts
15K Leafs
10K PIPs
3K Model S's
1K All others (Fisker, Imiev, FFE, Coda, and whatever else I forgot)

That's my rough estimate.

As you say next year will be a huge one for plug-ins. 20K+ Model S's, 25K-30K Volts, 15K Leafs, adding in all the Ford plug-ins too. I'd say it will easily be a doubling over this year.

And this is only in the US. Worldwide we are already seeing a surge in demand.

Obama predicted 500K on the road by 2015 and this rate says that will actually happen by the end of the year for sure.

I believe they only care about ratings. The more outrageous things you say, the better the ratings are. Happiness is when the ratings are good enough you get to keep your job. These days news is just entertainment--no actual news value. It's unfortunate that the less educated believe this drivel.

If It Bleeds, It Leads: Understanding Fear-Based Media | Psychology Today

News is a money making industry. One that doesn't always make the goal to report the facts accurately. Gone are the days of tuning in to be informed straightforwardly about local and national issues. In truth, watching the news can be a psychologically risky pursuit, which could undermine your mental and physical health.

Fear-based news stories prey on the anxieties we all have and then hold us hostage. Being glued to the television, reading the paper or surfing the Internet increases ratings and market shares - but it also raises the probability of depression relapse. In previous decades, the journalistic mission was to report the news as it actually happened, with fairness, balance, and integrity. However, capitalistic motives associated with journalism have forced much of today's television news to look to the spectacular, the stirring, and the controversial as news stories. It's no longer a race to break the story first or get the facts right. Instead, it's to acquire good ratings in order to get advertisers, so that profits soar.

News programming uses a hierarchy if it bleeds, it leads. Fear-based news programming has two aims. The first is to grab the viewer's attention. In the news media, this is called the teaser. The second aim is to persuade the viewer that the solution for reducing the identified fear will be in the news story. If a teaser asks, "What's in your tap water that YOU need to know about?" a viewer will likely tune in to get the up-to-date information to ensure safety. The success of fear-based news relies on presenting dramatic anecdotes in place of scientific evidence, promoting isolated events as trends, depicting categories of people as dangerous and replacing optimism with fatalistic thinking. News conglomerates who want to achieve this use media logic, by tweaking the rhythm, grammar, and presentation format of news stories to elicit the greatest impact. Did you know that some news stations work with consultants who offer fear-based topics that are pre-scripted, outlined with point-of-view shots, and have experts at-the-ready? This practice is known as stunting or just-add-water reporting. Often, these practices present misleading information and promote anxiety in the viewer.

Hammer & Anvil strategy, attacking Obama:

It was an attack piece on the President. EV's were used as the club for the attack but they were just the subtext to the overall purpose. I guess Fox hasn't realized that Obama won and he's out in four years whether they attack him or not. Or they're just playing to their audience. Maybe it's time to sic Bob Lutz on them again.

Last edited: