Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog FCC Chairman Backs SpaceX’s Satellite Internet Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpaceX hopes to build a space-based broadband internet service and has won the support of the Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai.

The FCC has already approved the launch of two experimental satellites via a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, which is scheduled to occur Saturday. A document submitted to the FCC in 2016 outlines the intent for the mission – deploy two satellites known as Microsat-2a and -2b to test a broadband antenna to be included in the proposed constellation that will beam internet service back to earth. The full planned constellation will include more than 4,000 satellites.

“To bridge America’s digital divide, we’ll have to use innovative technologies,” Pai said in a release. “SpaceX’s application – along with those of other satellite companies seeking licenses or access to the U.S. market for non-geostationary satellite orbit systems – involves one such innovation. Satellite technology can help reach Americans who live in rural or hard-to-serve places where fiber optic cables and cell towers do not reach. And it can offer more competition where terrestrial Internet access is already available.”

Over the past year, the FCC has approved requests by OneWeb, Space Norway, and Telesat to

access the U.S. market to provide broadband services using satellite technology. SpaceX would be the first American-based company to provide broadband services using low-Earth orbit satellite technologies.

SpaceX doesn’t expect to make the service available for several years, however the launch of the first two prototypes is an important step.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

Kind of had to. SpaceX is famous and cool. Hard to say "Removing net neutrality will allow innovation! But we don't want innovative SpaceX doing this innovation because, unfair!"
That's not how it works. Allowing the major players to slow down speeds of competitors, to charge for higher speeds, etc stifles innovation. The new players on the block can't compete with those who have the money.

Net neutrality kept innovation alive because it insured a level playing field. All net traffic was treated the same.

Reactions: Grendal and Fiver
That's not how it works. Allowing the major players to slow down speeds of competitors, to charge for higher speeds, etc stifles innovation. The new players on the block can't compete with those who have the money.

Net neutrality kept innovation alive because it insured a level playing field. All net traffic was treated the same.

Oh, I know that. But _his_ public argument for scrapping it was that it would increase innovation, and my point was that denying SpaceX's request would be very obviously stifling innovation.

But _his_ public argument for scrapping it was that it would increase innovation, and my point was that denying SpaceX's request would be very obviously stifling innovation.
Agreed, his public argument was complete nonsense and I think anyone who was paying attention could see that. The hypocrisy was stunning.

Also agree that he could hardly deny SpaceX’s request, which is all about innovation. But I think he realized that the FCC was going to approve the SpaceX request and he had to go along. The major telecoms don’t want SpaceX entering their market.

Would the latency time involved with the use of satellites be a factor in competition with terrestrial based systems?

The aim is 30ms latency, which is about 33% better than most DSL and only 50% more than reasonable cable.
It's more than good enough for general use, although couldn't beat good fiber.
If the cost is good, expect the market to move to a choice between fiber and LEO satellite.