Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FCW saw a person

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way to work today, a guy ran across the road ahead of me. It really wasn't close - I wouldn't have done it, but the guy really wasn't playing real life Frogger or anything. The road had an easy curve to the right, and he was standing just in the lane of oncoming traffic; he had run from my side of the road to the other side, and it was a four lane road. I was in the left lane so I was actually pointing right at him. Once a car passed ahead of him in the right lane (oncoming to me) he then finished running across the road. About the time he started to run, I got the FCW alert and the car started to slow. I had TACC on.

It really wasn't dangerous, but I thought it was interesting that FCW saw the pedestrian. The display showed him as a Model S, btw.

Maybe...maybe we're all cars who just think we're people.
IMG_5338.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: Btrflyl8e
but.. but AP2 thought it was a car. So it really didn't identify the object as a pedestrian.
It just didn't display the object as a person. It's still possible, and I think likely, the vision and object recognition software still classified it as a person. I think the display sodtware just isn't displaying different cars trucks motorcycles and people objects.

Yeah, I saw this on AP1 as well...

Though - I think Tesla Vision (AP2) is already capable of detecting and classifying a lot more than it displays on the instrument cluster's UI

Presumably this is simply due to the recognition confidence levels not being as high as they are with Mobileye's vision tech. With Mobileye - the bounding boxes have a confidence score around them, and you'll see the car graphic change to a truck if it's confident enough of what it is. I guess there must be a threshold that would prove confusing or off-putting if the IC constantly displayed a car as a truck, or vice versa, or a motorbike as a pedestrian etc. So, it's easier for them to just display everything as a car until the vision system gains more confidence as to exactly which type of vehicle it is (which I'm sure it's doing rapidly now they're processing camera snapshots from us directly)

I think there may have also been a fundamental shift in the way Tesla Vision thinks about things. Whereas AP1/Mobileye was basically classifying "car", "truck", "bike", "pedestrian" and ignoring everything else... Tesla Vision looks at everything and classifies "objects" "drivable path" and "in-path objects". I guess the assumption is that it doesn't really matter *what* it is in most scenarios... drive where you can, and don't hit stuff.

I think there may have also been a fundamental shift in the way Tesla Vision thinks about things. Whereas AP1/Mobileye was basically classifying "car", "truck", "bike", "pedestrian" and ignoring everything else... Tesla Vision looks at everything and classifies "objects" "drivable path" and "in-path objects". I guess the assumption is that it doesn't really matter *what* it is in most scenarios... drive where you can, and don't hit stuff.
I hope it's something good like that.