Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FD Beta : TomTom Map, Roundabouts and the Speedlimit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a few more places where TomTom is wrong and the car behaves weirdly in those places. For eg. in one of the roads FSD tries to take a right turn - but that road no longer exists. Google Maps & OSM are correct there, but TomTom & Bing still show the old road (which hasn't been there for 10 years).
This has been fixed in the map update. But it is also fixed in OSM/Google - so, not sure what Tesla used for 2021 update.

I found an interesting area near me. Its an area that is quite different in Google and OSM and TomTom (and even Bing is slightly different from TomTom).

There are some new neighborhoods coming up there - and the main road has a number of new roundabouts. OSM & TomTom/Bing show no roundabouts but Google shows a couple. There are multiple roads near by with differences between OSM and TomTom. From the drive today it was clear Tesla was using TomTom map - but will make a few more runs to make sure I can definitely say whether OSM, TomTom or Bing is used.

Left - OSM Cycle, Center Google, Right TomTom.

View attachment 733765

ps : I've a TON of corrections to submit to TomTom ;)
The new map has ONE roundabout added - the other 3 are still missing. Not sure, what to make of this.

Interestingly, the car easily handled the empty roundabouts, even though unmapped. I guess because are not tiny needing sharp turns.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Here is some analysis of some of the changes I got made in TomTom.

Unfortunately, this leaves me even more confused.

1645144804322.png

To recap - I thought Tesla is using TomTom maps because the in-car map seemed to have the faults of TomTom, but also where it was correct compared to OSM. But as the above shows - only one of the 7 corrections I've checked actually made it to the new map. And that one correction was correct in OSM to start with. Rest of the corrections are still wrong in OSM.

I wish I had made a couple of those corrections in OSM too, to see what would have happened.

My current hypothesis is - Tesla switched from TomTom to OSM with the latest map. But they didn't overwrite what they took from TomTom as present.

To confirm this - I've to look for places where OSM is correct, but TomTom is still wrong and see what Tesla in-car map has.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3

View attachment 770591

To recap - I thought Tesla is using TomTom maps because the in-car map seemed to have the faults of TomTom, but also where it was correct compared to OSM. But as the above shows - only one of the 7 corrections I've checked actually made it to the new map. And that one correction was correct in OSM to start with. Rest of the corrections are still wrong in OSM.

I wish I had made a couple of those corrections in OSM too, to see what would have happened.

My current hypothesis is - Tesla switched from TomTom to OSM with the latest map. But they didn't overwrite what they took from TomTom as present.

To confirm this - I've to look for places where OSM is correct, but TomTom is still wrong and see what Tesla in-car map has.
That's an interesting theory but I changed the same speed limits and added the same roads in both TomTom and OSM. None of my accepted edits showed up in the Tesla 2021 map update.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
So, is there a third different map provider Tesla is using ?

ps : what kind of roads did you edit?
Rural side roads and state highways.

As to your question, until someone from Tesla officially and publicly states how they do the mapping, user online edits will be hit or miss. Further, updating the map database once a year is not going to cut it.

I think that Tesla uses what is less expensive and readily available. I'm also wondering if they might be using the cars to update the mapping. This might work with new roads, new lane configurations and maybe even speed limits.

View attachment 770591

View attachment 770591

I have made several changes in OSM to speed limit data and that saw no change on the roads I have been on since the new map data. But I did not make any changes to actual road layouts. (speed changes I made were long ago so they would have made it into the nav update)

I “fixed” local two lane speed limits where it was mis-set to 15 mph, when this thread started: mid November. I did it on TomTom. The recent map update now is 35mph. Much better with FSD…

I’ll checked OSM to see if I changed it there as well.. It had no speed limits for this road segment. So the TomTom change was effective ala Mid-November 2021

thanks to all Esp @EVNow

Last edited:
Reactions: EVNow
I “fixed” local two lane speed limits where it was mis-set to 15 mph, when this thread started: mid November. I did it on TomTom. The recent map update now is 35mph. Much better with FSD…

I’ll checked OSM to see if I changed it there as well.. It had no speed limits for this road segment. So the TomTom change was effective ala Mid-November 2021

thanks to all Esp @EVNow
Its a hit & miss. Tesla seems to have picked up some changes from TomTom .... but not others.