TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fear the self-driving living room: When will in-car tech go too far?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Larry Chanin, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Fear the self-driving living room: When will in-car tech go too far?

This tech pundit has his doubts.

Fear-the-self-driving-living-room-When-will-in-car-tech-go-too-far.jpg

Car manufacturers may be rushing to pile cars with gadgets and automation to ease commutes, but when does too much isolation from driving become dangerous?

Larry

2. Larry Chanin

He goes on:

It isn't clear to me whether he's still referring to the Model S, but if so clearly his knowledge is confined to consumer electronics and not automotive developments if he thinks a Model S is merely a showcase project.

Larry

3. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yeah, futzing with 8-track tapes, cassette tapes or CDs wasn't distracting in the least! Not to mention cigarette lighters, radio dials, maps, cell phones, Garmins or Tom-Toms.

4. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

Interesting but I had a whole conversation with the guy in the Park Meadows store about accessing the web while driving. He said web access will be turned off while driving unless a passenger is in the car. He said there will be sensors in the passenger seat.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

There have been many conflicting stories on this (from within Tesla even), so I'm just going to wait to see what they do. Distractions will happen regardless (kids, phone, makeup!). I agree we shouldn't add more, but no one has even driven the car yet to see what will or won't be a distraction. I've even heard some say the animated cover art transitions will be a distraction. *shrug*

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

This stuff gets really goofy really fast. In my G37, if you want to dial your cell phone through the touchscreen, you have to stop moving (regardless of whether there's a passenger). It won't let you access the handset phonebook while moving either. Strangely enough, it will allow you to access the separate "vehicle phonebook" if you're moving.

Does that make ANY sense?

7. Larry Chanin

To me this is a reasonable approach.

Larry

8. MitchL

MitchL S#945

While I think that it's admirable to let us (drivers) decide what is safe and not (I never program the GPS while moving, for example, but I'm glad the my car does not prevent it)... the law in California is pretty clear:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=27001-28000&file=27600-27607

If you read the regulation, you might be able to argue that a web browser is "none of the above"

.. but: I think there will be some interlock to prevent web browser viewing (at least) from working while the car is in motion.

/Mitch.

9. slavi

slavi Member

Or better yet, think rationally and realize that the entertainment system is completely seperate from the traction system and no such thing can happen. Journalists nowadays spend way too much time writing and blogging and too little doing any sort of research on subject matter.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Average Weight for a Woman Statistics
    the average weight for an adult female in the United States is: 162.9 pounds

Pet Supplies and More. L/M Animal Farms Premium Corn Cob Bedding 25 lbs.
    [​IMG]
    For $80, perma-passenger.

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

"Average" can't be the limit, my wife weighs much less than 162.9lbs (but she'd still kill me if I put the real number here!) and we have a couple of friends who weigh in under 100lbs. They can't discriminate against slim/small people.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Right, it would have to be less than that. Heck they probably have to recognize a child as well. So 1 or 2 (25 pound) bags might be enough.

13. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Both Elon and Camille Ricketts (Communications Manager--the primary media communications face for the company) have mentioned that the screen will not be restricted while driving...for what it's worth.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

We haven't seen the final interior. They might add "shock therapy" for drivers who web surf while in motion.

15. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I feel Tesla might be playing with fire here atleast in states like CA where the CHP wouldn't take kindly to a solo driver on the freeway with a bright glowing screen (playing the latest YouTube viral hit) next to him/her. Heck, even as a would-be Model S driver, I'd prefer to have certain things locked down when the car's moving - I don't want to be at the wrong end of a collision with a fellow Model S driver too distracted by something s/he was doing on the touchscreen.

16. Larry Chanin

Regardless of whether Tesla began their design with the intention of an unfettered screen, I'm sure that Elon is smart enough to have a plan B in the works and ready for implementation if needed.

Larry

17. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

What about passengers in the BACK seat? :)

18. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Absolutely. *I* am on the light side, and I would be furious if the passenger seat claimed I wasn't there.

19. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Furious? When there is such a delicious work-around to make the car detect you?

405553_2232755157147_1795975340_1380646_1692774986_n.jpg

20. strider

strider Active Member

Remember that the car will be able to advertise it's own WiFi network so passengers will be able to browse on their own phones/tablets using the car's data connection.