Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feasible-looking Model 3 Rendering from EasyCharge.me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally saw this in a ValueWalk post. This one looks halfway feasible, although I doubt the production model will have suicide doors. Thoughts?
image.jpg

Thanks for the discovery, post and link. To me, that vehicle looks perhaps 85-90% the size of a Model S. Now, as I'm usually wrong in these matters, I probably am here too. Regardless, here's my point (and it's a point for discussion, not a refutation): how can this diminished Model S come in at a $35,000 price point?

Lastly, I love the suicide doors. Always have, ever since the Supremely Rich Neighbor had them on his '61? '62? Lincoln.

Thanks for the discovery, post and link. To me, that vehicle looks perhaps 85-90% the size of a Model S. Now, as I'm usually wrong in these matters, I probably am here too. Regardless, here's my point (and it's a point for discussion, not a refutation): how can this diminished Model S come in at a $35,000 price point?

When I calculate the volume of a box 20 x 5 x 5, I get 500. When I take 80% of that box (16 x 4.5 x 4.5), I get 300 or so, which is more like 60% of the total. With battery cost and size cut to 70%,, and a few other measures, why could they not get the price to $35K, about half of the S base ?price?

Sure, we can haggle pennies, but it is CLOSE. 80% diameter of the ball of wax cuts the whole of the weight of the ball in half, pert near.

Nice looking car :) Would definitely buy this car if Tesla showed us a Model 3 with this look.

BUT...
It looks almost like a scaled-down Model S, especially front and rear views. And Elon has said that it will not resemble a Model S.
Although I probably would love the suicide doors, what happened to the "less adventurous"? So no, it will not be this on the Model 3. Maybe on the Model S/X MkII?

Nice looking car :) Would definitely buy this car if Tesla showed us a Model 3 with this look.

BUT...
It looks almost like a scaled-down Model S, especially front and rear views. And Elon has said that it will not resemble a Model S.
Although I probably would love the suicide doors, what happened to the "less adventurous"? So no, it will not be this on the Model 3. Maybe on the Model S/X MkII?

Agreed.

We know there were (are?) two competing designs internally - one more conventional, another more forward looking. As much as I like the S design and as much as I am a little worried about making a car that looks too futuristic, at this point such a scaled down S would be underwhelming. After all the anticipation and after Elon saying several times the 3 won't simply look like a scaled down S, I expect more. Still approachable, not from the year 2315, but something a little more exciting.

(And for the record I am the last person you could call backwards looking, I live cool future cars on sci-fi shows, am just worried about the rest of the society lining up for a Tron vehicle).

Yeah.. the production cost of those doors alone would push the car into a $$ range well beyond what Tesla wants for the 3.

My prediction: echos of Model S here and there (they want to leverage the brand and appeal) and a more conservative car all around. And .. of course .. the ability to option up the snot out of it. Sports packages, Lux packages, Tech packages, exterior styling will get more agressive (spoilers, ground effects) with Sport packages, etc...

Something I just thought about its how you can get a P85D or a bare-bones 70D, and they both look about the same on the outside. In some circles, there were complaints about this very thing when a new P85D closely matched the base. I think it's a good thing. Since the point of Tesla is to move from the high end down, it makes sense to have the top end configuration of a model closely match that of the base. It allows each driver to appear more equal to the rest.

This will mean more tesla moments that end with, "and this isn't even the quickest one." When Model 3 comes, I bet everyone will know exactly what it is within a year. There are still stories of people not knowing about Tesla.

Just as the 3 Series and 7 Series look different, but are both instantly recognizable as BMWs. I think there will definitely be elements of familiarity between the S, X and 3, which I think would work in Tesla's favor. From all the different renderings I've seen so far, this one is probably closest to what it will actually look like. Guess we'll find out next March.

Yeah.. the production cost of those doors alone would push the car into a $$ range well beyond what Tesla wants for the 3.
While I'm not a fan of suicide doors (thanks, but I prefer my roof to have a solid B pillar for rollover protection), they are by no means expensive.

The final version of the Saturn SC was a 3-door coupe with a suicide door on the driver's side, with a base price around $15,000