TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Feasible-looking Model 3 Rendering from EasyCharge.me

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by igotzzoom, Jun 6, 2015.

1. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Originally saw this in a ValueWalk post. This one looks halfway feasible, although I doubt the production model will have suicide doors. Thoughts?
    image.jpg

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Thanks for the discovery, post and link. To me, that vehicle looks perhaps 85-90% the size of a Model S. Now, as I'm usually wrong in these matters, I probably am here too. Regardless, here's my point (and it's a point for discussion, not a refutation): how can this diminished Model S come in at a $35,000 price point?

Lastly, I love the suicide doors. Always have, ever since the Supremely Rich Neighbor had them on his '61? '62? Lincoln.

3. Lump

Lump Active Member

I rather have 3 of these at $35k then 1 MX :biggrin:.

4. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Well, the suicide doors would go along with Musk's comment that he wanted to make the Model 3 "useful." From a strategic standpoint, I think giving it a crossover-ish package makes sense, as it's the fastest-growing market segment by a long shot.

5. art

art Member

Build and I will come.

6. roblab

roblab Active Member

When I calculate the volume of a box 20 x 5 x 5, I get 500. When I take 80% of that box (16 x 4.5 x 4.5), I get 300 or so, which is more like 60% of the total. With battery cost and size cut to 70%,, and a few other measures, why could they not get the price to $35K, about half of the S base ?price?

Sure, we can haggle pennies, but it is CLOSE. 80% diameter of the ball of wax cuts the whole of the weight of the ball in half, pert near.

7. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

I'd need tires with some sidewall for our local roads. Aside from that, hell yes! Sign me up! (Although with normal rear doors, and a B-pillar. Roof crush strength standards makes skipping the B pillar inadvisable.)

8. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

Took the words right out of my mouth -- I'll take mine in red, please! :biggrin:

9. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I'm thinking the artist took some liberties with the ultra-low profile tires. Most renderings of this type have somewhat exaggerated features for dramatic effect, but about 90% of this looks eminently producible, and appealing. I'd buy it. :cool:

10. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

In! Wow, this wins the Model 3 "dream" design for sure.

11. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Nice looking car :) Would definitely buy this car if Tesla showed us a Model 3 with this look.

BUT...
    It looks almost like a scaled-down Model S, especially front and rear views. And Elon has said that it will not resemble a Model S.
    Although I probably would love the suicide doors, what happened to the "less adventurous"? So no, it will not be this on the Model 3. Maybe on the Model S/X MkII?

12. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

Agreed.

We know there were (are?) two competing designs internally - one more conventional, another more forward looking. As much as I like the S design and as much as I am a little worried about making a car that looks too futuristic, at this point such a scaled down S would be underwhelming. After all the anticipation and after Elon saying several times the 3 won't simply look like a scaled down S, I expect more. Still approachable, not from the year 2315, but something a little more exciting.

(And for the record I am the last person you could call backwards looking, I live cool future cars on sci-fi shows, am just worried about the rest of the society lining up for a Tron vehicle).

13. muleferg

muleferg Member

14. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Yeah.. the production cost of those doors alone would push the car into a $$ range well beyond what Tesla wants for the 3.

My prediction: echos of Model S here and there (they want to leverage the brand and appeal) and a more conservative car all around. And .. of course .. the ability to option up the snot out of it. Sports packages, Lux packages, Tech packages, exterior styling will get more agressive (spoilers, ground effects) with Sport packages, etc...

15. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

Something I just thought about its how you can get a P85D or a bare-bones 70D, and they both look about the same on the outside. In some circles, there were complaints about this very thing when a new P85D closely matched the base. I think it's a good thing. Since the point of Tesla is to move from the high end down, it makes sense to have the top end configuration of a model closely match that of the base. It allows each driver to appear more equal to the rest.

This will mean more tesla moments that end with, "and this isn't even the quickest one." When Model 3 comes, I bet everyone will know exactly what it is within a year. There are still stories of people not knowing about Tesla.

16. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Just as the 3 Series and 7 Series look different, but are both instantly recognizable as BMWs. I think there will definitely be elements of familiarity between the S, X and 3, which I think would work in Tesla's favor. From all the different renderings I've seen so far, this one is probably closest to what it will actually look like. Guess we'll find out next March.

17. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Instead of 2 doors each side, how about 1 falcon door?

...and more rear seat headroom.

18. guillaumef

guillaumef Member

Nobody pointed out the lack of mirrors ? I don't find it particularly sexy on the model X, but with this design, it seems a lot more natural. love it !

19. tga

tga Active Member

While I'm not a fan of suicide doors (thanks, but I prefer my roof to have a solid B pillar for rollover protection), they are by no means expensive.

The final version of the Saturn SC was a 3-door coupe with a suicide door on the driver's side, with a base price around $15,000

20. bxr140

bxr140 Member

Rx8 and a pickup truck or three also have suicide doors.