Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Enhancement Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Allow the driver to optionally link one or more Bluetooth devices to his/her profile. Then, when somebody (1) gets in the car and then (2) puts the vehicle into forward/reverse, if the bluetooth device(s) is/are not detected it can pop up an alert to remind you that you might have forgotten them. Additionally, if the device is connected but then disconnects when you get say 100m from your starting location then it can alert you (in my case I think my phone will link up from inside my house, but not once I pull away).

Thoughts?

Eh, if the icon doesn't turn blue, you didn't bring your phone.

But I do want to be able to link a phone to a profile for a different reason. When I'm driving I want my phone paired, when my wife is driving I want her phone paired. Right now it pairs with the first phone it sees.

But I do want to be able to link a phone to a profile for a different reason. When I'm driving I want my phone paired, when my wife is driving I want her phone paired. Right now it pairs with the first phone it sees.

I wish it could pair with two phones at the same time, but that's probably a Bluetooth limitation. I have a business and personal phone. Invariably, the one that rings is the one that is not currently paired with the car!

I wish it could pair with two phones at the same time, but that's probably a Bluetooth limitation.

I didn't think it was a protocol limitation and just did a quick search on this, it looks like Lexus and other automotive Bluetooth systems regularly let you pair up to two devices with their systems.

I would love to see at least two devices possible, even better, allow for profile based Bluetooth connectivity on top of that.

I didn't think it was a protocol limitation and just did a quick search on this, it looks like Lexus and other automotive Bluetooth systems regularly let you pair up to two devices with their systems.

I would love to see at least two devices possible, even better, allow for profile based Bluetooth connectivity on top of that.
I've had cars that allowed two simultaneous Bluetooth phones to be paired, but it didn't work as you'd expect. One was connected as a phone, as the other would connect as an audio device. The "audio device" could get a call that wouldn't get routed to the car, and the phone device couldn't play audio (other than a phone call, obviously).

I don't know if it's a protocol limitation or not, but there's clearly some issues without clear answers. For example: What if both phones are connected and playing audio. What then? Or simultaneous phone calls?

I've had cars that allowed two simultaneous Bluetooth phones to be paired, but it didn't work as you'd expect. One was connected as a phone, as the other would connect as an audio device. The "audio device" could get a call that wouldn't get routed to the car, and the phone device couldn't play audio (other than a phone call, obviously).

My wife's car does this. I assumed the Tesla did too, I guess not.

I wish it could pair with two phones at the same time, but that's probably a Bluetooth limitation.

It's not a BT limitation. Even if it was (which it isn't), the car could've had 2 (or more) BT chips/antennas/stacks and could've assigned different phones to different BT stacks.

There's also NO problem to connect two different phones as phones (as opposed to connecting one as a phone and another as a media source), from the Bluetooth perspective. The only problem is to do the arbitrage between concurrent events, e.g. two incoming calls at the same time or phone A calling phone B, etc.

Also a potential problem is how to make User Interface (UI) display what address book (or both) is currently used, in a car setting, i.e. in easy to read, not confusing, not distracting way. Problems with voice, e.g. "call dad", when you have "dad" contact in both address books (but clearly different dads) -- these are all solvable, but in not a very straight-forward way.

Since integration of Bluetooth is usually at the very bottom of the priority list, the features usually get cut and solving of all these problems is usually done by limiting the number of phones to 1.

It's not a BT limitation. Even if it was (which it isn't), the car could've had 2 (or more) BT chips/antennas/stacks and could've assigned different phones to different BT stacks.

There's also NO problem to connect two different phones as phones (as opposed to connecting one as a phone and another as a media source), from the Bluetooth perspective. The only problem is to do the arbitrage between concurrent events, e.g. two incoming calls at the same time or phone A calling phone B, etc.

Also a potential problem is how to make User Interface (UI) display what address book (or both) is currently used, in a car setting, i.e. in easy to read, not confusing, not distracting way. Problems with voice, e.g. "call dad", when you have "dad" contact in both address books (but clearly different dads) -- these are all solvable, but in not a very straight-forward way.

Since integration of Bluetooth is usually at the very bottom of the priority list, the features usually get cut and solving of all these problems is usually done by limiting the number of phones to 1.
If my $20 Bluetooth headset has no problem dealing with any of that, my $100,000 car should be able to as well. ..