Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature idea: Custom Driving Modes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Johan

Ex got M3 in the divorce, waiting for EU Model Y!
Feb 9, 2012
Drammen, Norway
I've been thinking some about a feature I would love to have in my car. This feature would be sort of a feature for an "advanced user" and would perhaps best be in a submenu of the Driving tab. The idea would to be to allow for user definable accelerator pedal mapping.

First of all, the way in which the accelerator pedal commands the drive train is obviously via an analog to digital interface of sorts - the travel of the pedal as you either push down or let go is an analog function that is converted to a digital control signal which in turn controls the current flow to the motor. So we know that there is already mapping. We also know that a lot of user have reported feeling a difference in mapping (how aggressive the acceleration is) with firmware updates. We also know that regen is capped when battery temp is low (yes there is a physical reason for this but the capping must happen in the control software).

As of today we can only change one setting: Regen normal or Regen low. We can't turn regen off. We also cannot cap or modulate acceleration. Valet mode is promised in future upgrades, which would be an example of this.

My actual suggestion is to create a menu where the user is able to create new driving modes, choose between preset modes and also edit these. These presets would be connected to driver profiles. There would also be an option for the presets to password/PIN protect them working in the way that if that mode is set (for example Valet or Teenager mode) you would need to PIN/password to get out of that mode and in to another ("Daddys racing mode" for example).

The way I envision the IU for this is simple. You present the user with a diagram ranging from -60 to +320 kW. There are 6 points that the user can drag vertically - similar to a sound system EQ. The curve between the points interpolates and smooths. This curve represents the accelerator pedal mapping. Here is a crude rendering of let's say what is the current/standard mapping (note the Y-axis is not at all linear):

dia.jpg

Let's say you want a profile for hypermiling where to want only very cautious regen (kicks in very softly and capped at 20kW) and a dampened acceleration curve, no problem, just drag:

hyper.jpg

Teenage son borrowing the car, OK cap acceleration and accelerator responsiveness:

teen.jpg

For the race track:

race.jpg

OK, so you get the idea (sorry for the nasty graphics).

Version 2 of this feature would also include, if possible, the option to map regen to the brake pedal. Now, Tesla haven't done it this way and I respect that, but some might like to have regen on the brake pedal only, some want some regen when letting go the accelerator and the rest on the brake. Also, the mechanical brakes would have to come on gradually and the speed with which the brake is depressed would have to be taken in to account (a sudden hard push on the pedal should engage the mechanical brakes instantly for example).

I want regeneration disabled when I disengage the cruise control.

Drove a bit in cold weather with the regeneration disabled and was delighted at how freely the car rolls. But mostly I don't want the car to snap my neck with regenerative braking when I disengage the CC.

That would be really cool!

However, I would be surprised if they offered such support. If a user screws up the settings or there is a bug in the implementation, safety would be compromised. I can see someone accidentally setting a max of 20KW for valet mode and the car being pushed up a ramp for lack of power like a BYD e6. Or a significant other using the car with the "race" setting accidentally left on and having an accident because it did not perform as expected (i.e. it went too fast, and then when regen was expected, there was none).