Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Allow Us to Turn Mirror Dimming On or Off Manually

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I'm just an old man yelling at clouds, but my biggest complaint about my Model 3 has always been the auto-dimming mirrors. They work okay when they're turned on, but they're always on when I need them. They turn off way too early in the morning--at dawn but still when everyone's got their headlights on. And they turn on too late in the evening--again, when there's still some sunlight but most sensible people have switched their headlights on.

As a result, I'm constantly getting blinded by headlights in my mirrors, and there's no way for me to adjust them without just pivoting the mirrors away from my eyes (which means I can no longer use the mirrors). I long-ago swapped out my side mirrors with aftermarket mirrors that are permanently tinted. But that's a partial and imperfect fix, and does nothing for the rearview mirror.

To solve this problem, all Tesla needs to do is add a "Dim Mirrors" button on the Control Panel.

Since your car is probably still under warranty, have service check the light sensor to make sure it’s working correctly. I’ve never noticed issues with the auto dimming feature in any of our Teslas, but maybe your eyes are more sensitive to light than most.

Reactions: Baluchi
Since your car is probably still under warranty, have service check the light sensor to make sure it’s working correctly. I’ve never noticed issues with the auto dimming feature in any of our Teslas, but maybe your eyes are more sensitive to light than most.
I hadn't considered that it might be specific to my car, so I'll do that thanks. I do think you're right about my eyes being sensitive...I wear blue blocking glasses at night to cut down on glare and that's on top of the pretty serious tints on windows all the way around.

Still, I wish I could control the auto tinting mirrors.

Popped these onto the Y. My Y is an earlier model and does not have the dimming feature. This concave blue lens really dims well naturally without electronics and the concave feature really improves the field of view. The old ones just snap out and the new ones snap in. Pretty darn cheap also.

Reactions: Baluchi
Popped these onto the Y. My Y is an earlier model and does not have the dimming feature. This concave blue lens really dims well naturally without electronics and the concave feature really improves the field of view. The old ones just snap out and the new ones snap in. Pretty darn cheap also.
I use the same thing on my side mirrors. Those are better than the stock auto dimming mirrors IMO.

So it's mostly the rearview mirror I have a problem with now.