TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Feature Request: Audible tone when changing drive/reverse

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by scrapps, Jul 6, 2018.

1. scrapps

scrapps Member

I've found myself almost get in an accident a few times now because I've tried to shift to quickly between drive and reverse and vice versa and it hasn't changed, then I promptly reapply the accelerator to find I'm going in the opposite direction to where I want to be going. There really needs to be some audible confirmation that you've changed, as you're not usually looking at the screen when doing so.

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Does any other vehicle do this?

3. KenF

KenF Member

In a future software update, I would like to see Tesla add an audible prompt mode whereby, when enabled, a voice would announce changes in car status such as “autopilot engaged,” “autopilot disengaged,” “now in reverse,” “now in park,” “high beams on,” etc.

4. cgrubbe

cgrubbe Member

Why? Autopilot already chimes and everything else is an icon on the display.

OP, any chance the car was still moving at all when you tried to switch directions? I've noticed this with my S particularly when going to back into my driveway. Unless the car is stopped it stays in drive and doesnt change to reverse.

5. scrapps

scrapps Member

Definitely a possibility. Maybe we need them to change that too, otherwise how are we going to be able to pull 180s?

6. KenF

KenF Member

The speed limit is about all I can see in my peripheral vision. Everything else is too small for me to see without looking away from the road. I would feel safer with spoken prompts.

Like I indicated, I would suggest these audible prompts be optional and off by default.