Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Automatically Roll Up Windows When It Start Raining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI mercedes will close windows when rain is sensed while parked, but I think the sunroof will tilt up. I assume in case someone/pet in the car does not suffocate or that law mentioned. So I assume Tesla could close up then activate climate control. But then battery usage.....I guess an option to enable ??

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Something that you all seem to be missing.

Are the windows even connected to the rest of the system? Is there any way to roll up/down the windows other than pressing the window up/down buttons on the door? If not, it's a hardware limitation. You can't send a signal to open/close the window if it's not wired to do so already.

Are the windows even connected to the rest of the system? Is there any way to roll up/down the windows other than pressing the window up/down buttons on the door? If not, it's a hardware limitation. You can't send a signal to open/close the window if it's not wired to do so already.
Window locks are controlled via the screen

Reactions: Watts_Up

The S used to be able to roll the windows down from the fob, so it is likely the X and 3 could as well.

I'm sure this has been suggested before but I just thought about it. How nice would it be for the car to automatically sense rain when the windows are down, then roll them up automatically? Apart from being a nice feature for us, it would be a great selling point for Teslas: never worry about rain getting in your car while you're away ever again!
I would love that feature. I don't leave a window open now for this very reason.

The MCU very likely controls each window's automatic lowering and raising each time the door is opened and closed, so it seems very likely that Tesla can control the windows....

I actually want the opposite. I want the app to allow me to:
  • Completely lower all windows
  • 'Crack' all windows to (5%,10% or 25%)
  • Close all windows
I would love to save some watts in the afternoon when I'm walking to my car and it's 72 degrees outside, but my car is 130 degrees inside by just lowering the windows as I approach. I won't use this feature when it gets to 100 degrees out, but I work in Southern California by the coast and often have nice weather. Isn't Tesla supposed to care about saving energy?

Reactions: rglore
Great for dust storms too... to be able to roll up the window =). I remember when I was in the AF stationed at George AFB in Victorville CA. I left my windows open on a hot day and there was a layer of dust on EVERYTHING. That car never got all the dust out of all the cracks.:eek:

FMVSS seems to prevent this from being done outside of the line of sight of the vehicle.
49 CFR § 571.118 - Standard No. 118; Power-operated window, partition, and roof panel systems.

First of all thank you the link, I like when facts are provided.

I read most of it and on S5 states that it’s possible to close remotely if the window reverse in case of a certain force is applied, so basically Tesla could legally implement the remote feature

@Talax74, Precisely.

CFR 571.118, Section S4 spells out specific, limited instances where auto/remote closing of windows is allowed, such as requiring an operator of a remote device to be close to the vehicle and/or having line-of-sight to the vehicle. But Section S4 begins by saying "Except as provided in S5...", and S5 basically says you don't have to fall into one of the S4 categories as long as you have automatic reversal systems in place to stop and reverse the window if it hits an object. And, crucially, such systems already exist in Teslas since they are required for the "auto-up" / "express-up" window switches.

So... long-story-short, I'm pretty certain that you're right and Teslas already have the capability to legally incorporate a remote OR automatic window closing feature without violating any federal safety standards.

So then the next question is why Tesla hasn't already added a functionality to remotely open/close windows via the app? Have they simply not gotten around to it yet but will some day? Or is there some reason they don't want to ever do it?

(Below are some of relevant quoted portions of the FMVSS document...)
§ 571.118 Standard No. 118; Power-operated window, partition, and roof panel systems.

S1. Purpose and scope.
This standard specifies requirements for power operated window, partition, and roof panel systems to minimize the likelihood of death or injury from their accidental operation.
[...]
S4. Operating requirements.

Except as provided in S5, power operated window, partition, or roof panel systems may be closed only in the following circumstances:
(a) When the key that controls activation of the vehicle's engine is in the “ON”, “START”, or “ACCESSORY” position;

(b) By muscular force unassisted by vehicle supplied power;

(c) Upon continuous activation by a locking system on the exterior of the vehicle;

(d) Upon continuous activation of a remote actuation device, provided that the remote actuation device shall be incapable of closing the power window, partition or roof panel from a distance of more than 6 meters from the vehicle;

(e) During the interval between the time the locking device which controls the activation of the vehicle's engine is turned off and the opening of either of a two-door vehicle's doors or, in the case of a vehicle with more than two doors, the opening of either of its front doors;

(f) If the window, partition, or roof panel is in a static position before starting to close and in that position creates an opening so small that a 4 mm diameter semi-rigid cylindrical rod cannot be placed through the opening at any location around its edge in the manner described in S5(b); or

(g) Upon continuous activation of a remote actuation device, provided that the remote actuation device shall be incapable of closing the power window, partition or roof panel if the device and the vehicle are separated by an opaque surface and provided that the remote actuation device shall be incapable of closing the power window, partition or roof panel from a distance of more than 11 meters from the vehicle.

S5. Automatic reversal systems. A power-operated window, partition, or roof panel system that is capable of closing or of being closed under any circumstances other than those specified in S4 shall meet the requirements of S5.1, S5.2, and, if applicable, S5.3.

S5.1. While closing, the power-operated window, partition, or roof panel shall stop and reverse direction either before contacting a test rod with properties described in S8.2 or S8.3, or before exerting a squeezing force of 100 newtons (N) or more on a semi-rigid cylindrical test rod with the properties described in S8.1, when such test rod is placed through the window, partition, or roof panel opening at any location in the manner described in the applicable test under S7.

S5.2. Upon reversal, the power-operated window, partition, or roof panel system must open to one of the following positions, at the manufacturer's option:

(a) A position that is at least as open as the position at the time closing was initiated;

(b) A position that is not less than 125 millimeters (mm) more open than the position at the time the window reversed direction; or

(c) A position that permits a semi-rigid cylindrical rod that is 200 mm in diameter to be placed through the opening at the same location as the rod described in S7.1 or S7.2(b).

S5.3. If a vehicle uses proximity detection by infrared reflection to stop and reverse a power-operated window, partition, or roof panel, the infrared source shall project infrared light at a wavelength of not less than 850 nm and not more than 1050 nm. The system shall meet the requirements in S5.1 and S5.2 in all ambient light conditions from total darkness to 64,500 lux (6,000 foot candles) incandescent light intensity.

Last edited: