Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Backup cameras that look left and right down the parking lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said something about a birds eye view camera update with FSD in 2020. I haven't heard any update though.

I don't know that this would accomplish the same thing, though. That's just taking the existing camera setup and laying it out on the display a different way.

What I'm wanting is something that actually looks down the parking lane from the rear of the car so you can see what's coming before you even stick the back of the car out.

Attachments

• side backup camera.png
    side backup camera.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 132
I think I've seen this from other manufacturers, but having cameras that look directly right and left from the rear bumper would be GREAT for backing out of parking spaces.

Need this in the front too. Need to see cross traffic when front camera views from side of vehicle are blocked by walls/fences/trees/parked cars without having to peep out 1/3 the length of the car.

The wide angle camera on front windshield is not enough because
1. the wide angle is too far back from the front tip of the car. Need camera locations at corner of car
2. the wide angle is not wide enough. Need 2 more wide angle cameras. One that can see directly left with 90-120 degree FOV and the other camera that can see directly right.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I think I've seen this from other manufacturers, but having cameras that look directly right and left from the rear bumper would be GREAT for backing out of parking spaces.
Honda Odessey does a way better job, it's like a fish eye lens, you can see all the way down the sidewalk in both directions without issue. And you can change the mode if you want to see a curb when backing into a spot. I'm disappointed with the narrow view for Tesla. IMO, one central camera is enough if it has a good lens.

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic