Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request - Display to show curb and front when parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree this feature would be nice; its available on my wife's Nissan Rogue. I suspect that between two cameras on the side and those in the front; some type of view could be provided with electronic manipulation. Nissan electronically manipulates the image from their cameras on the side and front to make it look like there is a drone mounted camera above the car.

Nissan electronically manipulates the image from their cameras on the side and front to make it look like there is a drone mounted camera above the car.

But where is the front camera on the Nissan? (Most companies put them in the front grill pointing downward.) The front camera on a Tesla is behind the rear view mirror, and as such it can't see anything directly in front of the car.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
The front camera on the NIssan on the grill as you describe. But there are also side cameras mounted on each side-view mirror with a fish-eye type lens that looks out along the side. So perhaps the combination of the two side M3 cameras combined have a similar view (or perhaps not; hard to know).

But there are also side cameras mounted on each side-view mirror with a fish-eye type lens that looks out along the side. So perhaps the combination of the two side M3 cameras combined have a similar view (or perhaps not; hard to know).

Nope, no cameras on the side view mirrors. There are side-view cameras on the repeaters on the front fenders but they point backwards. And then there are side view cameras facing forward on the B pillars. But they aren't going to give you a view of anything directly in front of the car.

Sorry, guess my post wasn't clear. I was trying to refer to the Nissan that has the cameras on the mirrors; not the Tesla. The Tesla side cameras are exactly as MP3 indicates. It is correct that while B Pillar cameras point forward they won't see anything directly in front of the car. However, there might be sufficient information that when coupled with an electronically superimposed vehicle in the screen that could partially simulate a partial front view. Only the Tesla engineers would know what is possible; certainly not myself.

I feel really bad for the self-driving computer if the cameras can't see a curb.

Is it supposed to just assume a curb is small enough to park over?

Or is it always going to have it's butt sticking out because the computer has to be cautious?

I agree with the OP. I have the same concern about not wanting to hit the curb when moving forward. So far, my solution has been to ask my wife to get out of the car and let me know how close I'm getting! I suspect that's going to get old really really soon. She may even insist on driving while I get out, lol.

It doesn't detect curbs.

My suggestion is to back into spots instead of nose-in. It might seem harder, but it's actually easier and pulling out, you can see the traffic better.

More accurately, it doesn't detect curbs with any kind of reliability that I would want to count on to avoid scraping something. It certainly detects curbs now and then...

Now that I have a backup camera for the first time ever I'm backing into nearly every parking position (unless I can pull through into what would be a backed in position).

More accurately, it doesn't detect curbs with any kind of reliability that I would want to count on to avoid scraping something. It certainly detects curbs now and then...

Now that I have a backup camera for the first time ever I'm backing into nearly every parking position (unless I can pull through into what would be a backed in position).

I think I am going to start doing this when I take delivery of my 3 as well. I know I've checked my front bumper a few dozen times on my S because I thought I might have come too close going nose-in, and I'm going to use a sto-n-sho plate, so I don't want do damage the mount for that.

I feel really bad for the self-driving computer if the cameras can't see a curb.

Is it supposed to just assume a curb is small enough to park over?

Or is it always going to have it's butt sticking out because the computer has to be cautious?

The issue of curb height and parking over/ behind is a tricky one, especially ones with rebar sticking up.

In general, the car will see the curb from a distance and knows how far it has moved, so no issue in positioning (as long as it remembers there is a curb in front of it when you leave :eek:)

I agree with the OP. I have the same concern about not wanting to hit the curb when moving forward. So far, my solution has been to ask my wife to get out of the car and let me know how close I'm getting! I suspect that's going to get old really really soon. She may even insist on driving while I get out, lol.

LOL your poor wife. God bless her for being a team player.